Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 48184 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

I'm not weighing in on Robles but I couldn't help but think if I were Robles I would never grant an interview with Svrluga after the hit piece and I'm sure his friends on the team would do the same. Also, wondering what was the front office's reaction to the article. Do they have a informal policy that states hands off players and families and if so would they pull the "journalists" credentials or limit access?
He didn’t disparage him as a human or his family.  It’s all just honest criticism and how most fans have been feeling.  Maybe Victor will wear a clown nose to mock the writer.

Offline rileyn

I'm not weighing in on Robles but I couldn't help but think if I were Robles I would never grant an interview with Svrluga after the hit piece and I'm sure his friends on the team would do the same. Also, wondering what was the front office's reaction to the article. Do they have a informal policy that states hands off players and families and if so would they pull the "journalists" credentials or limit access?
Svrluga is doing his job.  It's not his job to write glowing pieces on the team and the team should not even think about pulling his credentials.  That would be bad bad bad.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
What to do?

He’s an extra outfielder and pinch runner, that’s all. Start Jacob Young in center, Eddie Rosario in right and Winker — assuming he’s healthy — in left. When Lane Thomas comes back from injury, Young can return to the minors.

But don’t return Robles to the lineup. By now, with a list of blunders and gaffes that extends over seasons, he should have lost Martinez’s trust. Sunday was one game in one season in which Victor Robles’s mistakes made it harder for the Nationals to win a winnable game. But it wasn’t a one-off. It’s a pattern. Pull your hair out, if you have any left.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/13/victor-robles-nationals-blunders/

My only quibble is there's no way in heck Young should be sent down when Thomas is back. I would DFA this guy as soon as Call can be recalled.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/13/victor-robles-nationals-blunders/

My only quibble is there's no way in heck Young should be sent down when Thomas is back. I would DFA this guy as soon as Call can be recalled.
Don't send Young down. Just DFA Robles or cut bait with Nunez.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Quick arithmetic says that Call must stay in AAA for another week. Nats could declare that Gallo is healed and DFA Robles, but Garrett is the only other OF on the 40-man roster.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Who is playing CF? Thomas stinks in CF. Thats a rough outfield defense.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Who is playing CF? Thomas stinks in CF. Thats a rough outfield defense.
Not sure what Svrluga was thinking when he send Young down when Thomas is back.

Online aspenbubba

Time to send him to Rochester. He should be gone tonite and put him on a bus from Philly. Shorter distance and a cheaper fare. Bring Wood up to start the series tomorrow at home. At this juncture let Wood work on his "deficiencies" at the MLB level as he is probably not facing the same level of challenge at AAA and is wasting his time.

Online IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
At this juncture let Wood work on his "deficiencies" at the MLB level as he is probably not facing the same level of challenge at AAA and is wasting his time.

As far as the team in concerned, Wood's biggest "deficiencies" would be likely Super 2 status if he came up now, meaning an extra arbitration year, and possible loss of team control for the 2030 season if he finished top 2 in RoY voting.  The best way to address this is to have him work on his minor league service time. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Wood or no Wood, I just want Robles gone. Call would be an upgrade.

Online welch

Is Call eligible to return? If so, send Robles to Rochester.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Is Call eligible to return? If so, send Robles to Rochester.
Call was sent down on 5/7, so yes, he's eligible.

Robles would have to be waived off the roster and clear waivers to be outrighted to Rochester. No downside to running that risk.

I've got a sense there's moves before the next homestand starts tomorrow

Online aspenbubba

Well I was hoping something would occur also but Wood and Call are in the line
up at Rochester.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Well I was hoping something would occur also but Wood and Call are in the line
up at Rochester.
no moves until tomorrow

Online aspenbubba

no moves until tomorrow

Don’t they usually pull players from the lineup when a decision has been made to avoid an injury.

Online welch

Robles would have to be waived off the roster and clear waivers to be outrighted to Rochester. No downside to running that risk.

I assumed that Robles would have to be DFA'd down to Rochester. Agree: no team likely to reach for him.

(Same with Nunez, more or less. Miami doesn't want him. Nats don't need him unless they imagine they could miraculously teach him to hit in Fredericksburg. The Fred Nats have Armando Cruz, a great fielding teenager learning to hit. There is no place for Nunez at A, at A+, where Made looks good enough to be promoted and where they had Glasser and Brown already. With Made ready for AA, there is no place for Nunez in Wilmington. Time has run out for both.)

Online IanRubbish

Agree.  They have to shake things up at this point, probably won't, but should.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I simply don't understand how he hasn't been cut.

Offline nobleisthyname

Even if he is claimed off waivers. Do we care?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Even if he is claimed off waivers. Do we care?

We do not. Rizzo would probably be thankful for saving money

Online IanRubbish

I simply don't understand how he hasn't been cut.

Maybe he saved Davey's life and we just don't know about it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
They want to keep the 2019 vibe?

Online aspenbubba

Still on the roster. What little hope for his dismissal never came to fruition.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Still on the roster. What little hope for his dismissal never came to fruition.
well, they will need a spot for Lane Thomas if his rehab goes well. These guys both are right-handed hitting corner OFs who can play cf (Robles much better than Thomas) as backups to Young. I think the writing is on the wall for Robles if Thomas has a smooth rehab.