Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 40930 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'll be really curious about whether the trick Darnell Coles had him practice actually translates into games. Coles had him practicing not opening up too soon by holding a big ball between his bicep and his forearm when he swung. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/26/nationals-notes-victor-robles/ By looking at where the ball would come out, he could judge when he opened up.  If this improves the quality of his contact, then the O might come back to a passable, tolerable level given his D.

From the article Welch linked:
Against the New York Yankees on Wednesday, he singled and walked. Against the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday, he ripped a double and a homer off Jack Flaherty, both hits topping 100 mph in exit velocity.

This from a guy who I think was in the bottom 3% of average exit velocity last year (that said, his max velocity wasn't a problem).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I mean, ST is pretty worthless, and we have only seen a fraction of his at bats. But, he had to come in to ST and earn the job, and it seems like he has. I dont think he's gonna hit .340 on the season, but Robles hitting ~.250 with elite defense is pretty valuable, both to the team and on the trade market

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Robles has one more year of control after this year. It's going to be interesting to see the debate start about extending him if he has a good year this year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I mean, ST is pretty worthless, and we have only seen a fraction of his at bats. But, he had to come in to ST and earn the job, and it seems like he has. I dont think he's gonna hit .340 on the season, but Robles hitting ~.250 with elite defense is pretty valuable, both to the team and on the trade market
this is where that team option could be valuable. If he actually looks like he's a (hate go stat geek here) 90 wRC+ rather a 60s guy he has been the past 3 seasons (basically, a bit below average rather than one of the worst in baseball among regulars), then he's pretty valuable.  For example, if the Phillies plan on having Castellanos and Schwarber in the corners, then they really need a plus plus defender in CF to shag down balls in the power alleys.

Offline nobleisthyname

this is where that team option could be valuable. If he actually looks like he's a (hate go stat geek here) 90 wRC+ rather a 60s guy he has been the past 3 seasons (basically, a bit below average rather than one of the worst in baseball among regulars), then he's pretty valuable.  For example, if the Phillies plan on having Castellanos and Schwarber in the corners, then they really need a plus plus defender in CF to shag down balls in the power alleys.

I feel like Brandon Marsh already fills that role for them.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I feel like Brandon Marsh already fills that role for them.
doh. True, but while the example was wrong, the concept is still the same: if you are a contender with bat-first oxen in your corners, a playable Robles under team control for next year at low rate would have some value if he were merely a bit below average offensively.

Offline Slateman

Yes, but the point is that a wRC+90s Robles is worth something to a team like the Dodgers

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Yes, but the point is that a wRC+90s Robles is worth something to a team like the Dodgers
yes, valuable in trade is what I meant. I mentioned the oxen in the corner OF teams, but the spacious CF would be another group.

Offline Slateman

yes, valuable in trade is what I meant. I mentioned the oxen in the corner OF teams, but the spacious CF would be another group.
Also depends on injuries

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Robles got another hit today!

Offline Slateman

Robles finishes ST hitting .319/.360/.511

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Contact is still soft, but, as Dougherty pointed out in his chat today, the big advancement is cutting back on the Ks. I will take my chances on him beating out weak contact so long as he's making contact

Offline nobleisthyname

Contact is still soft, but, as Dougherty pointed out in his chat today, the big advancement is cutting back on the Ks. I will take my chances on him beating out weak contact so long as he's making contact

As discussed, he doesn't need to be a world beater. With his glove he doesn't even have to be average. He just needs to not be the worst hitter in baseball.

Offline Slateman

doh. True, but while the example was wrong, the concept is still the same: if you are a contender with bat-first oxen in your corners, a playable Robles under team control for next year at low rate would have some value if he were merely a bit below average offensively.

Ironically, the Phillies just traded for Christian Pache

Offline nobleisthyname

Whelp. Pretty underwhelming return though.

Offline Slateman

Whelp. Pretty underwhelming return though.
Oakland had no leverage. Pache wasnt on the 26 man roster and he was out of options.

Offline Slateman

Walk and a hit in the same game

Offline Slateman

A walk, a solid hit, a tricky catch in the outfield, and another pretty spectacular play. Bright spot in yesterday's game

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
A walk, a solid hit, a tricky catch in the outfield, and another pretty spectacular play. Bright spot in yesterday's game

Yes. A few more games like that and I might hope. The fielding was magnificent.

Offline Slateman

Getting SSS up in here

Offline Slateman

Two hit game. One was 105 off the bat.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Two hit game. One was 105 off the bat.
his max exit velo has been pretty good. It's just his average EV has been weak.

Really can't complain much about the outfield. Call, Robles, and Thomas have looked like a non-weakness.  I'm hoping they play Garrett today, but none of the other guys cry out "I need a day off."

Offline Elvir Ovcina

his max exit velo has been pretty good. It's just his average EV has been weak.

Really can't complain much about the outfield. Call, Robles, and Thomas have looked like a non-weakness.  I'm hoping they play Garrett today, but none of the other guys cry out "I need a day off."

The outfield is more or less the vibe of the whole team.  Individually, they're not terrible players.  But across the board it's just a crew of guys who are mediocre regulars.  That's not as bad as watching a team like '08-'09 (and last year) where you had prime Zimmerman and Soto being dragged down by Anderson Hernandez and Maikel Franco, but it's still not going to win many games.

Offline nobleisthyname

The outfield is more or less the vibe of the whole team.  Individually, they're not terrible players.  But across the board it's just a crew of guys who are mediocre regulars.  That's not as bad as watching a team like '08-'09 (and last year) where you had prime Zimmerman and Soto being dragged down by Anderson Hernandez and Maikel Franco, but it's still not going to win many games.

Yeah the floor is higher across the board, but there is absolutely no ceiling. Gore flashed something to look forward to in his start, but outside of that it's really tough right now.

Offline catocony

I think you mean there is a ceiling?  As in, they're not as bad as last year, but probably as good right now as they'll ever be?