Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42211 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
My biggest Robles irritation is the Nationals can force a few players, including Thomas and Call there, who are sufficient defensively for a rebuilding team. And then open up the corner outfield to one of a few bats who may turn into something? Put Meneses out there and open up 1B/DH for Riley Adams. Or put Stone Garrett in the corner. He needs a couple hundred ABs more than Robles does.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The way Hassel ended last year I would be happy he can stick Double A.
Yep. Plus a hammate bone takes some time.

Anyway, Robles is currently hitting a cool .429 in ST

Online Slateman

Robles hitting .444  :couch:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

My biggest Robles irritation is the Nationals can force a few players, including Thomas and Call there, who are sufficient defensively for a rebuilding team. And then open up the corner outfield to one of a few bats who may turn into something? Put Meneses out there and open up 1B/DH for Riley Adams. Or put Stone Garrett in the corner. He needs a couple hundred ABs more than Robles does.

Garrett, maybe.  But neither Thomas or Call can play CF, and there's not much point to putting either there.  They're both multiple years older than Robles.  Call might as well change his name to CAAAAll. 

And Meneses isn't an outfielder. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Garrett, maybe.  But neither Thomas or Call can play CF, and there's not much point to putting either there.  They're both multiple years older than Robles.  Call might as well change his name to CAAAAll. 

Robles and Thomas are about the same age, as best I remember, and Call is about a year older. Robles has fumbled right through his years of "but he's young so he will get better and better". I was a Met fan when we all said this about Daryl Strawberry, and Strawberry is twice the player, even at 21 that Robles has ever been.

Online Natsinpwc

Robles and Thomas are about the same age, as best I remember, and Call is about a year older. Robles has fumbled right through his years of "but he's young so he will get better and better". I was a Met fan when we all said this about Daryl Strawberry, and Strawberry is twice the player, even at 21 that Robles has ever been.
Think he is saying those guys are not capable of playing defensive CF on a regular basis at a major league level. Of course Robles cannot hit at a MLB level. Conundrum.

Offline blue911

If the Nats get lucky, he’ll be a less athletic version of Mikey Mo.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Call was playing centerfield all the way through his minor league career. Way.more innings in CF in the high minors than left or right.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Call was playing centerfield all the way through his minor league career. Way.more innings in CF in the high minors than left or right.

Andrew Stevenson also has a preponderance of his minor league innings in CF.  He also can't play CF to enough of an MLB standard to make up for the fact that he can't hit. 

Call isn't a prospect.  He's 28.  He is almost certainly what he is going to be.   He got DFAed by an organization that was screamingly desperate for a centerfielder. 

Lane Thomas is 27.  He also played mostly CF in the upper minors.

I see a lot of minor league games, as I live in AA city.  A few of the CFs are guys who can play CF very well but have little chance of ever hitting MLB pitching; most are guys who will probably be able to stay on MLB rosters if only they can play CF well enough to be a viable 4th OF; the smallest group is guys who can very likely play CF every day and also look like they will be able to hit MLB pitching enough to play every day.   

The reason for this weighting is pretty simple: the guys who can play the position but can't hit aren't worth keeping around long because they won't miraculously learn to hit; the guys who can both play CF and look like they can hit will move very fast (hi, Michael Harris!  Oh, Vic, this is where everyone thought you'd be); and the guys who are fringy stay because even marginal improvement in either category gets you (a) a starter who can hit enough to justify a spot either as a good RF or a bad CF a (b) legit 4th OF.   

Thomas is (a) if the offense stays, but that doesn't make him a good CF. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
hey, don't get me wrong: I'm not calling Call a decent prospect or anything more than a 4th outfielder.  I'm mostly suggesting the  guy seems to have pretty good plate discipline (look at his K% and BB% vs. the alternatives on this roster) and has an ability to hit righties.  For this team, I think that gives him enough of a skill level to take away a fair share of the innings when righties start vs. the Nats.  You can argue that the offensive upgrade isn't worth the defensive loss of Robles for what you call (probably correctly) that second bin type of CF, so the question is, as you are suggesting, is his defense so bad that he's not really a viable 4th outfielder? 

As for "he's 28," until this team has an OF of Wood - Hassell - Green, I kind of think there's some value in finding players who are a bit older but fit in terms of platoons or shorter term fixes.  I would not let any of these players block a legit prospect (like Abrams and likely Hassell), but I'd give these sorts a shot. 

Online Natsinpwc

hey, don't get me wrong: I'm not calling Call a decent prospect or anything more than a 4th outfielder.  I'm mostly suggesting the  guy seems to have pretty good plate discipline (look at his K% and BB% vs. the alternatives on this roster) and has an ability to hit righties.  For this team, I think that gives him enough of a skill level to take away a fair share of the innings when righties start vs. the Nats.  You can argue that the offensive upgrade isn't worth the defensive loss of Robles for what you call (probably correctly) that second bin type of CF, so the question is, as you are suggesting, is his defense so bad that he's not really a viable 4th outfielder? 

As for "he's 28," until this team has an OF of Wood - Hassell - Green, I kind of think there's some value in finding players who are a bit older but fit in terms of platoons or shorter term fixes.  I would not let any of these players block a legit prospect (like Abrams and likely Hassell), but I'd give these sorts a shot.
Victor starts the season in CF. But the leash is short. Even mild mannered Davey has had his patience run thin. Guys like Call and Garrett will get their chance in June? 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I don't have any complaints with any of what you posted.

I just saw the post with the suggested opening day lineup that has like 4 guys who should even be on an MLB roster, let alone starting, in it and am grumpy.

Online Slateman

Another hit. Got hurt running after a ball in the gap and hitting the wall. Seemed like he was ablento walk off the field though

Offline imref

Another hit. Got hurt running after a ball in the gap and hitting the wall. Seemed like he was ablento walk off the field though

Reports are that he was carted off the field.  He got up and tried to walk off and then fell back down before the cart came out for him. Not good.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Hours after my first nice post about him in months if not years

He and Robles have somehow earned themselves starting spots.

I don't hate starting Dickerson as long as they don't turn him into Nelson Cruz and start him every day, whatever the production. He's played well in Spring and had recent spurts of usefulness.

I've said enough about Robles.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Hours after my first nice post about him in months if not years

I actually feel a bit bad for him. I think Svrluga mentioned how he's been a Robles skeptic but that his attitude and willingness to be coached seemed a lot more professional than in the past. From his chat:
I'm genuinely curious about Robles. For all his struggles at the plate and on the bases last year, he was an excellent defensive center fielder. This is my first day down here, but Manager Dave Martinez said he thinks Robles is in a good place mentally. I have been extremely down on him in the past — some of the clown-ish shenanigans didn't fit his stature or the Nats' place in the standings. But he still has ability, and he is still only 25. There's plenty of time for him to turn his career around.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/07/washington-nationals-spring-training/

Offline imref

Day-to-day with a right knee contusion per Davey. His knee hit a pipe in the outfield wall.

Offline Senatorswin

Day-to-day with a right knee contusion per Davey. His knee hit a pipe in the outfield wall.

A pipe in the outfield wall? How stupid is that. Now Robles and Mickey Mantle have another thing in common.

Offline imref

so far this spring: .320 / .320 / .840. 1 SB, 0 HR

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Stock will never be higher than this Spring. Time to trade!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
so far this spring: .320 / .320 / .840. 1 SB, 0 HR
.320/.320 means not a walk. that's our Vic.

Offline imref

.303   .343   .919, 1SB, 1HR this spring

Offline welch

And poor Victor got picked off again. He hasn't learned base-running in all the years he's been a professional ballplayer.

Offline welch