Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 40802 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
He should put a lid on the clown nose crap until he can get himself promoted out of the 9 hole of the worst lineup in the majors.

I loved it. Hated Davey talking crap about him in the press.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Victor Robles having 0.8 fWAR stuns me.

Trade asset!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Looking back at the 2007 team stats, I noticed Nook Logan, who hit better than Robles. Is Nook a sane comparison? Or did I mix that margarita a little too strong?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Looking back at the 2007 team stats, I noticed Nook Logan, who hit better than Robles. Is Nook a sane comparison? Or did I mix that margarita a little too strong?

Too strong, maybe, but they're at least the same type of thing even if Robles is definitely better. Different offensive eras - Robles' career numbers are better when the metrics are normalized for that (basically, his OPS+ is higher).  And there's no comparison on defense.  Robles is a legitimate major league CF with a good arm, whereas Logan had a pool noodle attached to his shoulder and spent much of his time out there trying to outrun his bad reads.

Yes, there are similarities - especially the good speed coupled with crap-for-brains baserunning - but the season Robles is having right now would be the best of Logan's career when offense and defense are both factored in.  And Robles did have one legitimately good season, which Logan never did.

Offline UMDNats

I was pretty surprised when I saw Vic has 1.1 bWAR this season. At an 82 OPS+ and back to good defense he's probably worth keeping around another year.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I was pretty surprised when I saw Vic has 1.1 bWAR this season. At an 82 OPS+ and back to good defense he's probably worth keeping around another year.
My blood pressure cannot allow for watching him another year.

Offline UMDNats

My blood pressure cannot allow for watching him another year.

I'll be OK since I don't watch the team, like, at all these days :lmao:

Offline welch

Too strong, maybe, but they're at least the same type of thing even if Robles is definitely better. Different offensive eras - Robles' career numbers are better when the metrics are normalized for that (basically, his OPS+ is higher).  And there's no comparison on defense.  Robles is a legitimate major league CF with a good arm, whereas Logan had a pool noodle attached to his shoulder and spent much of his time out there trying to outrun his bad reads.

Yes, there are similarities - especially the good speed coupled with crap-for-brains baserunning - but the season Robles is having right now would be the best of Logan's career when offense and defense are both factored in.  And Robles did have one legitimately good season, which Logan never did.

Robles is definitely a better fielder than Nook, and has a better arm, but Victor's dopey throw to third yesterday gave me heart-burn. And the Nookster had a career OPS+ of 77, while Vic's is about 83...not a huge difference.

Mostly, I was looking at the wreckage of 2007, and I was shocked even to think that Robles might be a bit like Nook Logan.

The 2012 Nats: "That's a clown question, bro". The 2022 Nats: There's a clown playing CF.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Batting leadoff tonight

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Batting leadoff tonight
For this team, it's the perfect spot for a #9 hitter.

Offline catocony

Charlie Slowes must see many similarities between Nook Logan and Robles.

Offline Slateman

Batting leadoff tonight
For this team, it's the perfect spot for a #9 hitter.
Somehow this is working ....?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Victor Robles July: 56 PAs: .289   .327   .404, 5 SBs, 2 HRs, has hit safely in 11 of 17 games.

Starting to look a lot more like the 2019 Victor Robles.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Victor Robles July: 56 PAs: .289   .327   .404, 5 SBs, 2 HRs, has hit safely in 11 of 17 games.

Starting to look a lot more like the 2019 Victor Robles.
Two of his hitless games were in the 1st half of the month when he was pinch hit for after 5 innings or defensive sub. in the 8 games he's played after 7/14, he's gone hitless twice.

Offline welch

Robles has become a definite "maybe".

Offline catocony

Two of his hitless games were in the 1st half of the month when he was pinch hit for after 5 innings or defensive sub. in the 8 games he's played after 7/14, he's gone hitless twice.

The hitless games I can tolerate.  The witless games, less so.  Unless an X-Gene mutation occurs soon where his new superpower is not being completely ignorant on how to play baseball, I'll assume he's just on a small hot streak. 

I used up all my patience on Danny Espinosa years ago.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
I can think of 29 other MLB teams he'd be just great for... ;)

Offline welch

Can't teach Robles to throw to the right base. Can't teach Robles to run the bases. Can't teach Robles to hit major-league pitching. Play him sparingly the rest of the year. Next year, let him start in Rochester as the Nats' 5th or 6th OF.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Game winning hit last night.

Offline welch

Still hitting beans. Find a CF who throws to the right base and hits .235 or .240.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Still hitting beans. Find a CF who throws to the right base and hits .235 or .240.
It's funny / peculiar, but while most players in the majors have been under performing their "x-stats" (projections based on type of contact and other factors) this year, Vic is actually getting better results than you'd expect from the poor quality of his contact.

wOBA - .270, xwOBA - .247.
BA - .231, xBA- .203
SLG - .315, xSLG - .280

Average and SLG overperformance line up.   WE more or less have a real-life, everyday Mario Mendoza lining up in CF, and he leads off most of the time.  I guess Davey, perhaps at Rizzo's urging, is letting him sink or swim for now until the end of the season by giving him extra at bats.  I'll be curious whether they immediately put Abrams leadoff and Robles 9th, or whether they hold off and let Abrams get adjusted first.

Offline Slateman

I think the issue is that he is still having poor quality of contact. This was a dude who was scouted as having 60 and 70 grade hit tool, and his quality of contact has at barely above the Medoza Line

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Victor Robles is capable of decent stretches.

But this team would have more wins right now with boring Andrew Stevenson struggling at the plate while playing an underwhelming but error free CF and on the basepaths taking the extra base when possible but not running into outs.