Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42252 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Robles giveth, Robles taketh away. How hard is it to hit a cutoff man?

Offline DPMOmaha

Or, sure, running it in and handing it to him is an option, too. Sandlot style.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
The swagger is back, meaning the stupid play is back.

Offline rileyn

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
.207/.258/.241 in June

I say we trade him to the Yankees for Andujar

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The Robles on The Basepaths theme song:

You just need to have Blind Faith in him that it'll work out. 

Offline Mattionals

.207/.258/.241 in June

I say we trade him to the Yankees for Andujar

MLBTR speculated the Phillies could pick him up and put him inbetween Schwarber and Castellanos in their OF.

Offline Slateman

MLBTR speculated the Phillies could pick him up and put him inbetween Schwarber and Castellanos in their OF.
I dont think Rizzo will trade him in the division

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I dont think Rizzo will trade him in the division
why? we aren't contending with the Phillies for a wild card spot and any help he gives them worsens their draft choice.  Our competition is the As, Royals, and Reds. 

Offline catocony

Right after he ran through second base on the should-have been error on the 2nd baseman, and then got easily tagged out, I said to myself that if I was Davey I would bench him immediately and option him to AAA right after the game.  This was of course after saying the same thing after he swipped his bat at the live ball on the ground over the weekend against the Brewers.  He's simply stupid.

Offline Slateman

why? we aren't contending with the Phillies for a wild card spot and any help he gives them worsens their draft choice.  Our competition is the As, Royals, and Reds. 

Cus Rizzo wont want to risk them fixing him and having to deal with him in the division

Online Natsinpwc

Cus Rizzo wont want to risk them fixing him and having to deal with him in the division
Least of Rizzo's worries.  With a new owner probably next year he needs to show something is getting better.

Offline Slateman

Least of Rizzo's worries.  With a new owner probably next year he needs to show something is getting better.
There is nothing between now and when the new owners come onboard that will show that.

To be honest, Im okay with Rizzo leaving. It pretty obvious that the Nats need a massive overhaul.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I still would rather be watching Andrew Stevenson than Robles. Less errors and stupid baserunning.

I no longer think Robles has a high ceiling. At least not in DC.

Offline Slateman

Re-thought this. Maybe they can package Robles with a reliever or two (Carl Edwards Jr?) and get a guy like Rojas, Ethan Wilson, or Hans Crouse

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I still would rather be watching Andrew Stevenson than Robles. Less errors and stupid baserunning.

I no longer think Robles has a high ceiling. At least not in DC.
Bump.

Offline Slateman

Everytime Robles has a couple good games or some nice at bats, he gets super confident and tries to be superman

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Everytime Robles has a couple good games or some nice at bats, he gets super confident and tries to be superman
this.  I think he could be an OK MLB CF if he just stopped with the brainlock.

Offline Duke of Earl

The steal attempt was dumb but do we really know he did it on his own? 

Double steals are usually called from the bench (and I don't know why the bench would have called it, except they aren't really too bright).  But if you're going to pull off a double steal with the trail runner taking his cue from the lead runner, the trail runner has to be a good baserunner, and that ain't Soto.

I know Frandsen said that he did it on his own, that Martinez isn't that dumb, but I think Frandsen gives Martinez too much credit.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

this.  I think he could be an OK MLB CF if he just stopped with the brainlock.

He should put a lid on the clown nose crap until he can get himself promoted out of the 9 hole of the worst lineup in the majors.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He should put a lid on the clown nose crap until he can get himself promoted out of the 9 hole of the worst lineup in the majors.
funny you say that, but I kind of like him at #9. I'd dread him at the top of the order.  I think he's acceptable at #9 if he's .240 / .320 / .350.  If you back out June, he's been about that level this year:

totals - 212 AB, 50 H, 13 BB, 7 HBP, 1  SF, 71 bases through hits - .326 / .300 / .335
June -- 50 AB, 10 H, 3 BB, 2 HBP, 13 bases through hits - .200 / .273/  .260
Totals less June - 162 AB, 40 H, 10 BB, 5 HBP, 1 SF, 58 bases through hits - .247 / .309 / .358.

Unfortunately, June counts in the season. It isn't March (or October for this team).  If June was something attributable to something fixable and the rest of the year is his true level, he's a #9 hitter / second leadoff type.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

funny you say that, but I kind of like him at #9. I'd dread him at the top of the order.

Exactly.  He's not a good enough player to be a major contributor on the worst team in baseball.  He got optioned to AAA last year and replaced by (checks notes) Lane Thomas.  So what's he doing out there picking stupid fights with more accomplished players who are known to be ornery SOBs?  This team has enough problems without its failed-prospect mediocrities turning into sideshows. 

Like, is that the type of guy you want as the exemplar for rookies? The dude who thought he was hot crap after 2019, ate himself into inutility in an attempt to try to hit home runs, and now is having his best season in years with an 89 OPS+ while leading the league in TOOTBLAN - an impressive feat considering how little he gets on base?

Also, look at the picture on his Baseball Reference profile now. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Exactly.  He's not a good enough player to be a major contributor on the worst team in baseball.  He got optioned to AAA last year and replaced by (checks notes) Lane Thomas.  So what's he doing out there picking stupid fights with more accomplished players who are known to be ornery SOBs?  This team has enough problems without its failed-prospect mediocrities turning into sideshows. 

Like, is that the type of guy you want as the exemplar for rookies? The dude who thought he was hot crap after 2019, ate himself into inutility in an attempt to try to hit home runs, and now is having his best season in years with an 89 OPS+ while leading the league in TOOTBLAN - an impressive feat considering how little he gets on base?

Also, look at the picture on his Baseball Reference profile now. 
:rofl:

I suppose that's the purpose of clowning - to get laughs.  Although with him on the basepaths, it's more one of those scary clowns.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
More to the point, if I close my eyes, I'd rate CF as one of 3 -4 positions we have filled with something that is above replacement level after 8/1, along with Ruiz's (catcher) and Garcia (middle infielder, probably 2nd base, unless his defense massively improves over the next 2 months). Perhaps we have a DH or a DH pairing in Hernandez and either Adams or Thomas (as much as you hate on Thomas, he's league average vs. LHP, even with a .244 BABIP).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator