Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42435 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Thomas can play LF against LHP. Robles is turning a corner. Give him CF

I don't know that Robles is turning a corner, but he plays a good CF. Maybe he is a weak-hitting Jim Busby, but he covers ground, knows when to leap and dive, and he has a good arm.

Robles ought to hit ahead of Fox, at the least. Robles has a chance of getting a hit, like the double last night. Fox is hopeless. (I check on Fox as a minor-leaguer. He is a .240 hitter  in AA who barely touched AAA in any organization)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I don't know that Robles is turning a corner, but he plays a good CF. Maybe he is a weak-hitting Jim Busby, but he covers ground, knows when to leap and dive, and he has a good arm.

Robles ought to head ahead of Fox, at the least. Robles has a chance of getting a hit, like the double last night. Fox is hopeless. (I check on Fox as a minor-leaguer. He is a .240 hitter  in AA who barely touched AAA in any organization)
since the game he got his first hit, he's 7 for 28 with 4 doubles and a walk. 

Offline welch

since the game he got his first hit, he's 7 for 28 with 4 doubles and a walk. 

I no longer want to close my eyes every time Victor is at bat. Last year, he seemed to want to hide. So, maybe...

On Jim Busby, a superb CF who played that giant center at Griffith Stadium:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/busbyji01.shtml

Busby's SABR bio: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/jim-busby/#:~:text=James%20Franklin%20Busby%20was%20born,the%20family%20to%20Corpus%20Christi.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Nice game tonight

Offline Slateman

Huge game last night

Offline NatsAllThe Way

North of Mendoza.  Enjoy it while you can.

Offline DPMOmaha

North of Mendoza.  Enjoy it while you can.
more like “get used to it”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Huge game last night
pulled a double, liner to center, a bunt single, and another groundball single to the left side.  That's how he's successful. https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=37036.500;msg=2246812

Just one fly to right.  Puts the ball in play, no Ks.  Very nice.

Offline welch

And a couple more hits today, including an RBI back before the game was hopeless.

Offline Natsinpwc

It’s a good thing he started the year in Rochester so he could learn to hit down there/s.

Offline Slateman

Its May 1st, and Robles has the same batting average as Soto

Offline catocony

He had a good week or so, but he's heading back towards the Mendoza line with massive overswinging misses and general cluelessness at the plate.  Again. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Basically, his nice performance has been limited to the series in San Francisco and the last Marlins game of the prior homestand.  4 games, 9 hits of his 17 on the year.  Since then, 2 hits, 1 walk, in 26 PAs. 

You can practically use his May splits for this stretch since only one game from his short hot streak was in May.  It's all beating up on small numbers, but it really does seem like his short hot streak created an illusion of turning things around.
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/victor-robles/18363/splits?position=OF&season=2022

Can hit lefties and play defense.  If Franco and Ruiz are hitting, we can probably afford to play him in CF against everybody and still score runs.  His glove is that much better than Thomas, and Thomas is righty too.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Basically, his nice performance has been limited to the series in San Francisco and the last Marlins game of the prior homestand.  4 games, 9 hits of his 17 on the year.  Since then, 2 hits, 1 walk, in 26 PAs. 

You can practically use his May splits for this stretch since only one game from his short hot streak was in May.  It's all beating up on small numbers, but it really does seem like his short hot streak created an illusion of turning things around.
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/victor-robles/18363/splits?position=OF&season=2022

Vic is the new Danny Espinosa, the guy who kept showing flashes, got chances because he could field, and never put it together.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
the other thing - its' small numbers, but he's gone back to hitting fly balls.  He was aorund 80% ground balls and liners in April, and he's down to < 60% in May. Not that it tells you much about his true talent, but it does explain the bad results we are seeing. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Starts since May 15 (11 games):
Robles: 5 (2 games as a D replacement)
Yadi: 9 (one day off, one game as D replacement)
Thomas: 9 (2 games as a D replacement; 5 appearances in LF, 6 in CF, 2 shifts to right for D)

IT looks like Thomas is getting a strong look as a starter.  Yadi also getting the bulk of the starts in left ((one appearance as DH, 1 PH. 7 games in left).

Offline welch

Robles at least swings hard now. Most of his hits are bunts, yes, and he's not much of a bunter when he needs to bunt to move a runner or score somebody. Not a Phil Rizzuto bunter, as Rizzuto could bunt soft or hard to any spot he needed. Still, Robles looks happy at the plate, where last season he looked miserable to be out in front of a crowd trying to do something it seemed he knew he couldn't do.

Simplifying JCA, looks like Robles has 3 starts in CF and Thomas has 6.

Offline Slateman

He is worse. Time to non-tender him in the offseason

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He is worse. Time to non-tender him in the offseason
it looks like he may be moving to d replace and short side of a

<-------

starter

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Hell of a day for him so far today.

Offline aspenbubba

Too lazy to look up his average if you deduct the first 20 AB's of the season when he had one hit.

Offline DPMOmaha

Too lazy to look up his average if you deduct the first 20 AB's of the season when he had one hit.
if I did my math right, he’s hitting .273 since then

He went 1/4 in the game he got his first hit in. I didn’t adjust for that. Just the first 8 appearances where he was 0/17.

Offline Natsinpwc

if I did my math right, he’s hitting .273 since then
I just got .272. Close enough.

Offline welch

Went 3 for 3 with 6 RBIs, I think. Average up to .250 or so.  I have seen that he swings hard, as if he is no long scared in the batter's box. Like finding a thousand ounces of gold, if it keeps up.