Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 40933 times)

Offline catocony

I have a triple mortgage on my home buying stock on fringe Nationals corner infielders and outfielders.

You never recovered from the Elijah Dukes/Lastings Milledge era, right?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
had a walk last night to raise his OBP to .100   #littlesteps

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
You never recovered from the Elijah Dukes/Lastings Milledge era, right?
I was :az: for Willie Harris at the time.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

willie harris was a great american

Offline catocony

Willie Harris - Scourge of the Metropolitans.  Didn't he either have a clutch hit or rob a Met batter of a home run almost every game against them?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Willie Harris - Scourge of the Metropolitans.  Didn't he either have a clutch hit or rob a Met batter of a home run almost every game against them?

And then there were the times Harris leaped to his right, cart-wheeled off one hand, and robbed a Met of a line-drive base hit.

But Sharkadina was meant to be the CF.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
He was the master of the nipple-shaver diving catch

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So two hits with EV over 106 mph. Signs of improvement?

Offline Natsinpwc

So two hits with EV over 106 mph. Signs of improvement?
It’s early

Offline imref

now batting 0.083

Offline welch

Offline imref

.107 - Robles es en fuego

Offline Five Banners

He stayed in the fight on that run-producing at bat today

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He's hitting the ball hard, which is something he didn't even do in 2019.  If Darnell Coles saves this guy's career, we will have to do a remake of "The Miracle Worker."

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He's looked better last several game.

It isn't much. But it is the best flash he has had in a couple years.

Offline catocony

Robles looked almost decent at the plate over the Diamondbacks series. 

Offline welch

Robles looked almost decent at the plate over the Diamondbacks series. 

He's a flashy and talented centerfielder. In that, he reminds me of Jim Busby. If he could hit like Busby, even the Busby who hit .230 when Calvin Griffith traded Busby for Clint Courtney (I think it was Scrap Iron), then Robles is worth keeping until the Nats find a CF who can hit.

Offline welch

Maybe there is hope? Post article on what Darnell Coles has been having Robles work on:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/25/victor-robles-darnell-coles-batting-adjustments/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Maybe there is hope? Post article on what Darnell Coles has been having Robles work on:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/25/victor-robles-darnell-coles-batting-adjustments/
thanks Welch. You'd figure something like raising his hands back to where they were when he had success would have been something crowd sourcing would have picked up. Makes me wonder whether Long put in time with him. OTOH, he didn't hit the ball hard in 2019, so maybe Long didn't chase restoring him
 I don't really care about homers from him if he is making contact and it's dropping. No need for flies

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
signs of life?  7 hits and a walk over the last 9 games (last game at Pittsburgh, when he had his first hit).  More interesting is he's had 4 doubles since then, mostly of the get the ball down between outfielders and beat the throw to 2d variety vs. the blast off the fence type.  That's kind of what should work for him in terms of extra base hit potential with his speed.  He seems to be getting away from hitting flies, with just 5 on the year per FG.  15 GBs (2 hits), 8 liners (5 hits).  Most of his success is when he pulls (actually, practically no success going oppo or up the middle). He's doing well against lefties, actually crushing the ball, it's just we haven't seen that many so small samples.  If his eye is good enough, he probably should take anything outer 1/3 of the plate until there's 2 strikes.

Offline Slateman

He's been better. Thomas has not regained last year's production. No reason to not play him regularly at this point.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He's been better. Thomas has not regained last year's production. No reason to not play him regularly at this point.
Disagree he shouldn't play. He is only 26. He should be playing. No one is there to play over him. If they want to get Yadiel Hernandez ABs, it should be at DH.

It is a relief for Robles to be doing something these past few games. The defense can play if the bat isn't an automatic out.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
against lefties, Thomas should be in left and Robles in center.  Against righties, Thomas should get about 1/3 of the time in left and 1/3 of the time in center.  I don't think you write off Thomas now, and I suspect Yadi's consistency will make him a very cheap asset for a contender that takes advantage of platoons and rotates players through the OF and DH.  For example, he could probably take some PAs away from Arozarena, Diaz, and Margot, who are all righties. they could use a lefty DH.

Offline welch

It is painful to watch Cruz try to hit. Right now, I'd rather see YadiStar DH and Thomas in left. Maybe sometimes switch them. Sure, maybe Cruz will begin to hit in May, as the weather gets warmer and the ball carries. Until then, or until magic happens, Cruz keeps reminding me of how NOT to use the DH.

Offline Slateman

against lefties, Thomas should be in left and Robles in center.  Against righties, Thomas should get about 1/3 of the time in left and 1/3 of the time in center.  I don't think you write off Thomas now, and I suspect Yadi's consistency will make him a very cheap asset for a contender that takes advantage of platoons and rotates players through the OF and DH.  For example, he could probably take some PAs away from Arozarena, Diaz, and Margot, who are all righties. they could use a lefty DH.
Thomas can play LF against LHP. Robles is turning a corner. Give him CF