Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 40821 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Does the AAA season extend through September? I thought it was over soon...
All the minor leagues play through September this year.

Online Natsinpwc

what kind of pressure is there playing for a team currently in 'tank mode'?
Self imposed!!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Self imposed!!

And being in the majors brings pressure. The Post writes about players every day, games are on TV where every pitch and fielding play is replayed in slo-mo, where there is a reporter covering the Nats on MLB.Com and The Athletic. There is not that intense focus on a minor league team, and we can see it just by looking at the threads in the WNFF minors sub-section.

Online Natsinpwc

And being in the majors brings pressure. The Post writes about players every day, games are on TV where every pitch and fielding play is replayed in slo-mo, where there is a reporter covering the Nats on MLB.Com and The Athletic. There is not that intense focus on a minor league team, and we can see it just by looking at the threads in the WNFF minors sub-section.
It's weird though because he put up better numbers in a playoff race in 2019. 

Offline welch

It's weird though because he put up better numbers in a playoff race in 2019. 

Maybe it's not pressure in general, but pressure when he is trying to figure out what he started doing badly after 2019? I'm thinking about FP analyzing every swing, or non-swing, on every pitch. Same thing from the opposing team's "experts".

Online Natsinpwc

Maybe it's not pressure in general, but pressure when he is trying to figure out what he started doing badly after 2019? I'm thinking about FP analyzing every swing, or non-swing, on every pitch. Same thing from the opposing team's "experts".
Pitchers figured him out and he has not been able to adjust.  The Nats hitting coach has a good rack record but maybe the Triple A guy can help. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Pitchers figured him out and he has not been able to adjust.  The Nats hitting coach has a good rack record but maybe the Triple A guy can help.
Robles is a poor man's MAT.

Offline dracnal

click on the link:
"Runtime Error"
Sounds like Robles at the plate.

So I'm late to the party on this by a couple of days, but this one made me laugh way too much to not comment on. Well done!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
So I'm late to the party on this by a couple of days, but this one made me laugh way too much to not comment on. Well done!
Not a perfect line.  Should have been "Sounds like Victor on the bases."

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Riding the pine again tonight, he's a backup OF at this point.

Offline Five Banners

Riding the pine again tonight, he's a backup OF at this point.

If there’s a return to Rochester, maybe he’ll respond to the staff tweaks etc.

Offline UMDNats

If there’s a return to Rochester, maybe he’ll respond to the staff tweaks etc.

Guy has 2 home runs since 2019. Nothing the staff says will change who he is.

Offline welch

Guy has 2 home runs since 2019. Nothing the staff says will change who he is.

I remember watching Robles hit last season. His face was misery, as if he feared failing on every pitch. My hunch says it is something mental, along the lines that he was a star at every level, that he was the "swashbuckling" Victor Robles, that he did OK in 2019, and then flopped in 2020. I remember sitting behind 3B at Citifield a year ago, watching Robles steam toward third trying to stretch a smashup double. A perfect play got him out...I thought he would be safe just watching where the ball was hit but watching Robles rather than the fielders make their throws.

After that, Robles seemed to get cautious and then more cautious. The swings were too often half-hearted and off-balance. In 2019, at least he would swing hard.

This season he does not have a hit, at least not when I last looked. It gets worse and worse. We can see that Davey prefers someone like Dee Gordon in CF, or Thomas. Send Robles to AAA. Let Robles have a few more months to regain confidence and show he can hit. There is nothing to be gained in having him sit on the bench.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Should be noted that Lane Thomas hasnt done anything to win the job either

Offline catocony

Should be noted that Lane Thomas hasnt done anything to win the job either

Small sample sizes so far but Thomas has had decent at-bats.  Robles looks like he just wants to get back into the dugout every time he walks to the plate, like he's dreading the experience.  Maybe he's trying to channel Zim and figures if Zim could play Major League ball for the better part of a decade without being able to throw a baseball maybe he can stick not being able to hit the ball.

Offline welch

Small sample sizes so far but Thomas has had decent at-bats.  Robles looks like he just wants to get back into the dugout every time he walks to the plate, like he's dreading the experience.  Maybe he's trying to channel Zim and figures if Zim could play Major League ball for the better part of a decade without being able to throw a baseball maybe he can stick not being able to hit the ball.

I think dread is the thing. This begins to look cruel.

Offline Slateman

His at bats havent been good. He's hitting .154. His metrics are in the bottom 20% of baseball.

Its early, but Thomas is looking more like platoon/backup.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
It is early. But if Lane Thomas turns into a platoon / #4, what a ridiculously good trade.

I still think by end of season Lane Thomas locks down an every day role.

Offline Slateman

It is early. But if Lane Thomas turns into a platoon / #4, what a ridiculously good trade.

I still think by end of season Lane Thomas locks down an every day role.

Totally agree with the trade. But we still have two holes in the OF, long term.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
via federal baseball:

In his explaining the decision to keep Victor Robles on the bench in the series opener in PNC Park on Thursday night, Davey Martinez pointed to the outfielder’s struggles hitting sliders as one of the reasons he held him out against a slider-heavy starter in JT Brubaker.

“We look at all his data, and we know that Victor struggles against guys with good sliders,” Martinez explained, “so tonight, I felt like we’re just going to continue to work with him on his swing, get him some extra swings, and then get him back in there tomorrow.”

But when the lineup for Friday night’s game was released, Robles was not part of it.

Robles has started in just five of the first eight games this season, as the club tries to get him back to the player he was coming up through the minors, and early in his big league career, before he had trouble at the plate in each of the past two seasons.

“We’ve been working with Victor, and he’s been coming in early to hit, and I wanted to give him these two days to work with [Hitting Coach] Darnell [Coles]. He’s been swinging a lot, and we talked to him today, and he swung the bat really well today in early BP, so I told him, I said, ‘Be ready to play today if we need you, but tomorrow, you’ll play, and you’ll play for the next two days, and then we’ll see where he’s at,” Martinez explained.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Totally agree with the trade. But we still have two holes in the OF, long term.
Lane Thomas has speed. Yadiel Hernandez is hitting.

I wouldn't mind giving Thomas a month of everyday time in CF to see it starts to click. If it doesn't, we know we need someone there. But the bat plays if the glove can.

I own a lot of Lane Thomas stock.

Offline welch

Lane Thomas has speed. Yadiel Hernandez is hitting.

I wouldn't mind giving Thomas a month of everyday time in CF to see it starts to click. If it doesn't, we know we need someone there. But the bat plays if the glove can.

I own a lot of Lane Thomas stock.

I thought you had bought YadiStar stock last year?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
well, yadi had a split and spun off the Thomas stock. Smithian holds both now.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I have a triple mortgage on my home buying stock on fringe Nationals corner infielders and outfielders.

Offline welch

I have a triple mortgage on my home buying stock on fringe Nationals corner infielders and outfielders.

:gunz: