Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 40935 times)

He has a batting ave of 0.224. He’s allergic to walk and xbh. Very average fielder and base runner. Hopefully we can trade him for a reliever

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Lol, you think Robles is an average fielder?!? :lmao:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He has a batting ave of 0.224. He’s allergic to walk and xbh. Very average fielder and base runner. Hopefully we can trade him for a reliever
he's got a 12% walk rate.  That's 3d best among position players on the team , behind Avila and Soto, with a decent margin over the next best guy.

Offline DPMOmaha

It seems a little hasty to cut bait on a 23 year old who's shown he has the ability to play at a very high level.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
It seems a little hasty to cut bait on a 23 year old who's shown he has the ability to play at a very high level.

See: Byron Buxton

Soto and Harper really spoiled this fan base

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/buxtoby01.shtml

wow, I didn't realize how awful Buxton had been up until this year.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Right?  Age-wise, Robles and Kieboom should be in AA.

Online Slateman

Buxton was also a much more highly touted and refined prospect. He was drafted second overall. Robles would not have been

Offline nfotiu

I agree with JCA to an extent about psychological issues.   A couple bad brainfarts in a couple key spots, and he's pressing, and making more mistakes.   Probably needs to relax a bit.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Buxton was also a much more highly touted and refined prospect. He was drafted second overall. Robles would not have been

Sure, he a higher rated prospect, but not by much. Robles was like the top 3 or 4 prospect in baseball. He was certainly in the same, “this guy is going to be a superstar tier”

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
FWIW, at the end of 2016 Robles was ranked as the #13 prospect in baseball by MLB Pipeline, #13 by Baseball America and #7 by Baseball Prospectus. He had risen to #8 in BBA when he was first called up in 2017.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
FWIW, at the end of 2016 Robles was ranked as the #13 prospect in baseball by MLB Pipeline, #13 by Baseball America and #7 by Baseball Prospectus. He had risen to #8 in BBA when he was first called up in 2017.

where was he entering 2018?  I think he was maybe top 5 on BBA.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
# 4 on MLB prospects: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/
#5 on Baseball America: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-100-mlb-prospects-2018/
#4 on Fangraphs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2018-top-100-prospects/
not that he will not or cannot fail,  but if his career ends up like Michael A Taylor, it will be regarded as a Brandon Wood-level failure.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
No confidence, No plate presence.

But the fielding is starting to work. Maybe success at the plate will follow.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
No confidence, No plate presence.

But the fielding is starting to work. Maybe success at the plate will follow.
he didn't have a bad game.  a walk, a single, and a bad call from a key from getting the bases loaded for RZ in the 8th.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
he didn't have a bad game.  a walk, a single, and a bad call from a key from getting the bases loaded for RZ in the 8th.

I guess. I listened mostly today and Dave can really string out what he perceives to be a bad call sometimes, so I don't know how bad it was. He looked at two fastballs in that at bat though.

Online Slateman

I guess. I listened mostly today and Dave can really string out what he perceives to be a bad call sometimes, so I don't know how bad it was. He looked at two fastballs in that at bat though.

It was a good 2-3 inches below the zone

Offline nfotiu

That was a very egregious bad call in a critical moment.   Zim comes up and does what he did next inning and we win by 3.   The catcher's glove was in the dirt when he caught it.   I don't know why we can't go to a buzz down system for clearly blown balls and strikes.   Let the umps call the pitches that are less than a ball in or out of the box, but it's ridiculous to let a call like that go.

Offline Natsinpwc

That was a very egregious bad call in a critical moment.   Zim comes up and does what he did next inning and we win by 3.   The catcher's glove was in the dirt when he caught it.   I don't know why we can't go to a buzz down system for clearly blown balls and strikes.   Let the umps call the pitches that are less than a ball in or out of the box, but it's ridiculous to let a call like that go.
I was at the park but took a look at the game day app. They showed it low as it crossed the plate but not in the dirt.  There are calls just as bad as that in every game. Just not at such a bad time. 

Offline Natsinpwc

He came up the other night after a walk and swung at the first pitch in a key situation. This time after a K he stared at two fastball strikes. He’s all mixed up and unfortunately you don’t get the close calls when not a good hitter.

Offline nfotiu

He came up the other night after a walk and swung at the first pitch in a key situation. This time after a K he stared at two fastball strikes. He’s all mixed up and unfortunately you don’t get the close calls when not a good hitter.
That's not a close call

Offline Natsinpwc

That's not a close call

(Image removed from quote.)
It’s where the ball crosses the plate. Not where it is caught.  Just telling you on Gameday it was below the box but not on the ground.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He came up the other night after a walk and swung at the first pitch in a key situation.
HE jumped on what he figured would be a get me over strike.  I don't have the map of that pitch, but IIRC no one is saying it wasn't in a good hitting location.  He just missed it. 

He's not getting great results and his hard contact isn't there, but he's cut way back on his swings and his swing and misses this year.  It's the soft contact that's the biggest "WTF" with his performance.