Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 40851 times)

Offline rileyn

I compare Robles to Kuznetsov with the Caps.  Both teams won championships when these two played well (Robles defensively at least) as young players, but neither player is showing signs of reaching their full potential. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I won’t call a player a bust when I reasonably expect they’ll have 2 WAR this season.

But he definitely isn’t the game changer we thought he’d be.

Offline nfotiu

well, one of those numbers is fine.

He's had a 4:1 K:BB rate for his career.  This year, he's at .75:1.   Hopefully he can start turning the lower k rate into a better average as he learns the role and he'll sprinkle in some XBHs.   Good center field defense and obp of .400 in the lead off role is a valuable role player.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He's had a 4:1 K:BB rate for his career.  This year, he's at .75:1.   Hopefully he can start turning the lower k rate into a better average as he learns the role and he'll sprinkle in some XBHs.   Good center field defense and obp of .400 in the lead off role is a valuable role player.
yes.  No disagreement.  As long as he keeps on drawing walks, things will start to fall into place.  Again, his contact hasn't been that weak, and his contact rate is way up.  the xbh will start when a few liners hit the ground.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
yes.  No disagreement.  As long as he keeps on drawing walks, things will start to fall into place.  Again, his contact hasn't been that weak.  the xbh will start when a few liners hit the ground.

Calculus changes if he keeps losing balls in the sun/lights though.

Online rbw5t

.400 OPB with speed and good defense is more than a role player.  But I unfortunately doubt Robles can be a .400 OBP player -- hope I'm wrong!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
.182 / .325 / .242

Robles might need to join Kieboom soon.

Offline rileyn

.182 / .325 / .242

And less than stellar play in CF.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
.182 / .325 / .242

dropping him down to 8 or 9  in the order makes sense.  As for benching, it'll be interesting to see if they start giving Stevenson a few start against righties in CF. 

I'm not sure he gets the Kieboom treatment if the team is scoring runs.  The 3 shutouts are a problem, but they've been scoring runs since they got Bell and Harrison back.   

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I still like MAT. Hits better and plays better defense. Fast...might be a smarter base-runner. Yes, Taylor's hitting has fallen back to about .275 and .800 OPS, roughly his good 2017 season. For now, Stevenson should start.

Thinking back, I don't remember that Robles fought for and won the starting CF job. My memory -- not entirely trustworthy -- is that Robles was given the starting job.

Robles is a bust

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
I can understand looking at his stats he isn’t doing so well. However watching his AB’s imo for 2021 shows a pretty big improvement in discipline.

Again this is all my opinion but I think the hits will show up if he continues this approach he has currently

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I think he can work on that in Triple A

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I think he can work on that in Triple A
Stevenson? Or are you after a different CF?

Online Slateman

Stevenson? Or are you after a different CF?
Stevenson is fine, especially if you dont think this is a playoff team.

Online Natsinpwc

If it’s not a playoff team then you might as well leave Robles here and split time with Stevenson.

Online Slateman

If it’s not a playoff team then you might as well leave Robles here and split time with Stevenson.
Robles cant hit major league pitching. He needs to go develop in the minors.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Robles over his last 3 games: .429 / .556 / .429, 3-7, BB, HBP, no extra base hits or stolen bases.

There's still hope.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Imagine what you could have gotten if you had traded Kieboom and Robles in 2017 or 2018?

Online Slateman

Imagine what you could have gotten if you had traded Kieboom and Robles in 2017 or 2018?
There was a Realmuto deal on the table at one point that included Robles in 2018.

Online Natsinpwc

There was a Realmuto deal on the table at one point that included Robles in 2018.
And Realmuto would be gone now anyway. 

Offline welch

I think Miami wanted Robles and another prospect, a guy named Juan Soto.

Offline madj55

Might be time to start looking for a new CF again.

Offline welch

Grrrr.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
obp after today is .350.  He's just hitting singles now, but he's cut back on Ks and getting on (2 ks, 9 times on base in his last 20 PAs).  Small sample, but not the best time to complain.  I admire Welch's consistency. :)