Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 40820 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
no, read the article.  15 pounds of muscle resulted in lost flexibility.

He's 6 foot. 15lbs of "muscle" shouldn't do crap to his quickness.

Its incredibly hard to put on 15lbs of muscle without putting on a lot of other weight. I find it hard to believe he added 15lbs of muscle, didnt add a significant amount of fat, and still skipped legs day and cardio.

He might have added 15lbs, but it was bulk.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Robles is a wild card for 2021.  With his pedigree, he could breakout offensively while being an elite CF.  To date, he's not shown many encouraging signs at the plate.  But, the tools are there.  He's only had 1 full season.  Out of him, Kieboom, and Garcia, we need at least 1 if not 2 to emerge as solid bats.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Robles is a wild card for 2021.  With his pedigree, he could breakout offensively while being an elite CF.  To date, he's not shown many encouraging signs at the plate.  But, the tools are there.  He's only had 1 full season.  Out of him, Kieboom, and Garcia, we need at least 1 if not 2 to emerge as solid bats.

I don't hold any lofty expectations for any of them...they seem to be what we have seen of them already...

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I don't hold any lofty expectations for any of them...they seem to be what we have seen of them already...

I don't see how anybody could close the book on players so early in their careers.  Robles might be just another MAT, Kieboom might be a total bust, and Garcia may be Wilmer Difo.  But they are also still very much in the age range and experience range of guys still developing.  Heck, Garcia is a baby.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I don't see how anybody could close the book on players so early in their careers.  Robles might be just another MAT, Kieboom might be a total bust, and Garcia may be Wilmer Difo.  But they are also still very much in the age range and experience range of guys still developing.  Heck, Garcia is a baby.

They all strike me as AAAA players...like Danny Espinosa.  We seem to specialize in developing those...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
They all strike me as AAAA players...like Danny Espinosa.  We seem to specialize in developing those...
Garcia can barely grow a beard at this point and you are comparing him to Espinosa? :smh:

Offline Slateman

If Robles and Kieboom don't become at least serviceable MLBers, then Rizzo is likely out of a job in three years. Cant have two top 20 prospects not pan out while not developing pitching and running up the payroll.

Offline NJ Ave

Byron Buxton took a while to develop.

Has Buxton ever developed, really? He's heading into his age-27 season and thus far has really one half season of above average hitting?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I want to like Victor Robles.

Offline Slateman

Has Buxton ever developed, really? He's heading into his age-27 season and thus far has really one half season of above average hitting?
Health is an issue. When he's healthy, hes great

Offline HalfSmokes

no, read the article.  15 pounds of muscle resulted in lost flexibility.

so he turned into a gym bro instead of being smart about it- muscle gain and loss of flexibility do not go hand in hand

Offline HalfSmokes

every once in a while we'll have a aaaa player flourish (Desmond comes to mind), but yes, we do seem to specialize in guys who kill it in AAA and turn into strikeout machines in the majors

Offline Slateman

so he turned into a gym bro instead of being smart about it- muscle gain and loss of flexibility do not go hand in hand
They can if you do it right.

Online Natsinpwc

Bryson DeChambeau agrees.

Offline HalfSmokes

wouldn't that be doing it wrong ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
don't make me try to defend him as smart. I'm just saying he didn't look fat and that his arms were Thames-esque.  The dude was already supposed to be one of the most muscular guys on the team, so is it shocking that he kept on lifting when he was idle?  It's kind of like the guys who get muscular in prison because lifting weights is all you can do.  Like I said, don't accuse me of calling him smart about this.

Offline NJ Ave

Health is an issue. When he's healthy, hes great
???

Even if you take out his awful beginning and start in 2017, since then he's ranked 30th among CF in wOBA. Granted he's great on the bases and on defense, but I thought this conversation was about Robles becoming more than a speedy defensive OF? Buxton is not a good hitter.

His closest hitting comp since 2017 is probably Randal Grichuk.

Offline Slateman

???

Even if you take out his awful beginning and start in 2017, since then he's ranked 30th among CF in wOBA. Granted he's great on the bases and on defense, but I thought this conversation was about Robles becoming more than a speedy defensive OF? Buxton is not a good hitter.

His closest hitting comp since 2017 is probably Randal Grichuk.
He has back to  back seasons of 110+ wRC+. Couple that with elite defense and you have one of the best true CFers in baseball.

Offline NJ Ave

He has back to  back seasons of 110+ wRC+. Couple that with elite defense and you have one of the best true CFers in baseball.

Okay lets use wRC+, limit it to the last two seasons, and ratchet the PAs necessary down to 400 to account for the fact he's injured all the time.

Buxton ranked 17th among CF in wRC+.

Offline Slateman

Okay lets use wRC+, limit it to the last two seasons, and ratchet the PAs necessary down to 400 to account for the fact he's injured all the time.

Buxton ranked 17th among CF in wRC+.

There are three OFers with at least 900 innings in CF that time frame that have more DRS than Buxton. None of them have as high a wRC+

Elite fielding CFers that slug over .500 are an absolute premium.  Right now, I would love if Robles turned into that.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Garcia can barely grow a beard at this point and you are comparing him to Espinosa? :smh:

Don't be splittin' hairs...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
every once in a while we'll have a aaaa player flourish (Desmond comes to mind), but yes, we do seem to specialize in guys who kill it in AAA and turn into strikeout machines in the majors

Desmond is a career .263 hitter with a career WAR of 15.  He's borderline...and his career earnings with those numbers will be about $100MM.  Good for him, but really glad he turned down Rizzo's offer...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Nationals center fielder Victor Robles sustained a sprained right ankle while playing for Águilas Cibaeñas in the Dominican Republic. He has not played in the last three games and is listed as day to day, the team announced on Saturday.
https://www.mlb.com/news/victor-robles-sprains-ankle-in-dominican-winter-league

had been off to a good start offensively with a .907 OPS through 23 ABs.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Muscle does not make a hitter. Robles, like MAT, has trouble getting the bat on the ball.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Muscle does not make a hitter. Robles, like MAT, has trouble getting the bat on the ball.
It's interesting.  Some of the swing data says it was not so much swinging at more bad pitches or taking too many called strikes.  Swing % stayed the same as prior year. It was more swinging and missing, especially balls in the strike zone.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/victor-robles/18363/stats?position=OF