Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42450 times)

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
https://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/1163150282479591425?s=21

Kid’s been displaying the tools scouts raved about this week.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I just laughed at the Moustakis out stretching a single against him last night.  It was like "where did that throw come from?"

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Missed today’s game but just watched the highlights. Robles’ HR. Wow.

Offline Air Desmond

Nats would be wise to flip Eaton and Robles in the lineup.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Nats would be wise to flip Eaton and Robles in the lineup.

Why? Robles gets on base less than both Eaton and Turner (OBP .330).

Offline imref

Robles hasn't been Acuna, but he's had a pretty solid rookie season showing off why he was a top rated 5 tool prospect.  .255   .328   .756 with 26 SBs and 17 HRs isn't too shabby.  Plus the defense!

And, he's getting better as the season goes on:

Last 30: .289   .359   .439
Last 15: .315   .373   .481
Last 7: .435   .500   .565

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Would really like to see him finish off with a little dinger tear so he's 20/20.

Offline Air Desmond

Turner and Eaton are providing nothing at the top of the lineup. I’d like to see what Robles could do. Maybe it kickstarts the offense. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Turber and Eaton are providing nothing at the top of the lineup. I’d like to see what Robles could do. Maybe it kickstarts the offense. 
Or maybe it took him two months to recover from the last time we shuffled him so maybe we should just leave him the freak alone.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Or maybe it took him two months to recover from the last time we shuffled him so maybe we should just leave him the freak alone.

This gave me a laugh   ....   thanks I needed that.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Turner and Eaton are providing nothing at the top of the lineup. I’d like to see what Robles could do. Maybe it kickstarts the offense.

I’ll bite. What would be your definition of “something?”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I’ll bite. What would be your definition of “something?”
multiple-run leadoff homers will satisfy him ;)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
multiple-run leadoff homers will satisfy him ;)

We'll see.     :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Thinking we need a Victor Robles thread just so we can have a place to store plays like the one in the MLB link.  If someone wants to post the video by itself, go for it.

https://www.mlb.com/news/victor-robles-amazing-catch-and-throw-double-play?partnerId=zh-20200826-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=0xvDE4W750fEXvJa%2ByRiQ%2Bi%2Fd7cF%2FF77%2FWnHFQWKOiUMdjcKVzRcK%2BgqehWIfiIW&bt_ts=1598441521310

His offense was acceptable up to this year but seems to have taken a step back.  Small sample, I suppose (90 PA vs. 617 last year), and the OBP isn't disastrous (.322), but neither the speed nor the power are showing, leading to near-nightly cries of frustration.  I'll be very happy if by the end of September .255 / .327 / .419 career averages with some good base running.

Offline imref

we do have one already though it's pretty old: https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=37036.0

I agree with your take.  Robles was projected as a legit 5-tool guy, but so far he's not showing much at the plate other than an ability to get hit.  Still couple his mediocre offensive production with his superstar-level defense and we've got a solid CF.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Ordinarily, The Chief doesn't like threads to be bumped if they haven't been posted on for a long time (except occasionally in irony), but we are really only a month into the new season and this was active last September, so I'll merge.

We already know his ceiling. Center fielder who hits 8th  :mg:

Offline hotshot

Any reassessing as to what Robles' future ceiling is, 230+ games into his MLB career?   

Couple years ago, he was rated above Soto as a prospect and we wouldn't even consider a trade for Realmuto (yes, I know there were other "issues" to consider with acquiring  JT) as long as the Marlins had Victor as a piece of that trade.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Any reassessing as to what Robles' future ceiling is, 230+ games into his MLB career?   

Couple years ago, he was rated above Soto as a prospect and we wouldn't even consider a trade for Realmuto (yes, I know there were other "issues" to consider with acquiring  JT) as long as the Marlins had Victor as a piece of that trade.

From where I sit...he seems to be at or near it already...

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

this is misleading.  His first 2 partial years ('17 and '18) he was mostly a PR, PH, and defensive sub.  He's appeared in 232 games but he's only had 855 PA.  That's about a season and a quarter of effective batting time.  I wouldn't be worried yet.  He doesn't even turn 24 until mid may next year.  His defense gives him a high floor.  His walk rates and AVG was far better throughout his minor league career.  Give him time.  If he's bad after next year we can reevaluate.

Offline Slateman

He's 23 and was always a very toolsy player. Truth is, he probably got called up a little early out of necessity. I dont see any reason to say this is his ceiling. Byron Buxton took a while to develop. Same for Lorenzo Cain.

Again, Nats fans have been spoiled by Harper/Rendon/Soto just coming up and being great. It simply isnt normal and it usually takes a while for younger players to develop. We are in a rebuild at this point. No reason not to give Robles plenty of time

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Article suggests that Robles bulked up too much during the shutdown, losing speed and quickness, harming defense, and not gaining power. Also worsening contact skills.  Playing winter ball in the DR now rather than taking the winter off. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/12/victor-robles-winter-ball/

In 2019, Robles’s average sprint speed — measured by Statcast in feet per second — was 29.3 with 62 “bolts.” Bolts account for any time a runner is moving above 30 feet per second, and 62 was the fourth-highest total in baseball. In 2020, Robles’s average speed was 28 feet per second and he finished a shortened year with just four bolts.

He lost a lot of his quickness. Martinez explained on multiple occasions that his first step was slower in the outfield, leading to a handful of balls dropping in shallow center. In another area of sharp regression, Robles led all outfielders with 23 defensive runs saved in 2019. A year later, with the metrics warped by the condensed schedule, Robles was tied for 45th among outfielders with negative-4 runs saved and only preserved the perception of his strong defense with a handful of outstanding plays.

Then there was a concerning trend at the plate. Robles put 118 balls in play in 2020. Only 27 of them traveled 95 mph or faster, putting him in just the second percentile of hard-hit percentage in the majors. His average exit velocity was a quiet 82.2 mph, good for the bottom 1 percent of MLB. It’s tough to hit well when hitting that soft.

“I know he’s trying really hard,” Martinez observed in September. “Too hard sometimes.”

Offline imref

We really need him to progress next year.

Offline Slateman

Article suggests that Robles bulked up too much during the shutdown
So he got fat

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
So he got fat

no, read the article.  15 pounds of muscle resulted in lost flexibility.