Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42610 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

hey, don't get me wrong: I'm not calling Call a decent prospect or anything more than a 4th outfielder.  I'm mostly suggesting the  guy seems to have pretty good plate discipline (look at his K% and BB% vs. the alternatives on this roster) and has an ability to hit righties.  For this team, I think that gives him enough of a skill level to take away a fair share of the innings when righties start vs. the Nats.  You can argue that the offensive upgrade isn't worth the defensive loss of Robles for what you call (probably correctly) that second bin type of CF, so the question is, as you are suggesting, is his defense so bad that he's not really a viable 4th outfielder? 

As for "he's 28," until this team has an OF of Wood - Hassell - Green, I kind of think there's some value in finding players who are a bit older but fit in terms of platoons or shorter term fixes.  I would not let any of these players block a legit prospect (like Abrams and likely Hassell), but I'd give these sorts a shot.

I don't have any complaints with any of what you posted.

I just saw the post with the suggested opening day lineup that has like 4 guys who should even be on an MLB roster, let alone starting, in it and am grumpy.