Author Topic: Possibly heading back to DC. Have a question regarding housing.  (Read 1124 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Congratulations.

There's nothing wrong with those places, but there's nothing really right about them either. Bedroom communities, mostly. I haven't seen Odenton in a long, long time. Columbia is the ultimate planned community. That's not praise, but it would do, I think. Should be millions of options.

The sports culture is *entirely* Baltimore near the Fort. I hated that when I worked near there.

Anything near Annapolis? Willing to commute that far? 97/32 is a pretty good commute still, I think. You'd be back within the DC sphere of influence, at least partly (you'd find other Nats fans there.)

Only while looking out his back door.

So the results are in. I sign my official (not contingent) offer today and I will expected to be on deck by October 16th. The contract is different in that I’ll be at Ft. Meade instead of the Pentagon which is kind of a bummer, but the pay bump is worth it.

The plan for the time being is to rent a pod. Load it up, crash in an extended stay hotel for a week or two while I scout out apartments in the Odenton and Columbia area. Anyone familiar with that area and is there anything I should look out for? I have a couple places picked out on my “short list”

Offline aspenbubba

My sister lives in the Peoples Republic of Howard County ( Columbia) . From what I know they have limited dining , bar and entertainment. I lived in Annapolis for many years and would think it is a better option especially with your proclivities. Also Baltimore with Fells Point and Federal Hill with many options but possible more expendsive rents. Of course  Columbia and Annapolis are O's towns but not entirely. 

Offline Copecwby20

I’d rather have a 2 mike commute and troll the locals than drive 45 minutes a day and be around Nats fans.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Congratulations.

There's nothing wrong with those places, but there's nothing really right about them either. Bedroom communities, mostly. I haven't seen Odenton in a long, long time. Columbia is the ultimate planned community. That's not praise, but it would do, I think. Should be millions of options.

The sports culture is *entirely* Baltimore near the Fort. I hated that when I worked near there.

Anything near Annapolis? Willing to commute that far? 97/32 is a pretty good commute still, I think. You'd be back within the DC sphere of influence, at least partly (you'd find other Nats fans there.)

The 50-97 exit can be absolutely nightmarish at times.

Annapolis doesn't really offer anything Columbia doesn't have unless you live near downtown, in which case you have to drive a fair bit of distance just to hit 50, and driving around the streets of Annapolis isn't particularly swift/pleasant.  You have to either go on Rowe Blvd or West Street to hit 50, both of which range from somewhat sluggish to total parking lot.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I’d rather have a 2 mike commute and troll the locals than drive 45 minutes a day and be around Nats fans.

Of course, we will expect trolling udates.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Become or pretend to be a Steelers fan.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Ft Meade?  You should have stuck to working the Flying Js in Georgia.

Offline Copecwby20

I'm officially boots on deck. I drove up this past Sunday from Florida and crashed at a friend's house in Fredricksburg and caught up while drinking a bunch and having fun. I finished the drive into Maryland on Monday and checked into my hotel in Jessup for the next week or so. I had to go to the company HQ in Arlington on Tuesday at 8:30. Holy freak that drive. I worked remotely from my hotel today and visited a few apartments. I have decided on the Verde in Elkridge.

https://www.verdehowardsquare.com/

Fun fact.... my company has a suite at Capital One Center.... soooo that's pretty cool.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I thought he was looking for soccer moms and trophy wives. I doubt they hang around in Ballston. He might have luck looking at Navy Yard (wherever those new, swanky places are sprouting) or, perhaps, CityCenter, near Chinatown. Tons of broads from good money hang around there ;)

Further out the Orange/Silver would be a better bet.  The area around Dunn Loring is completely redeveloped, and there are a few places that might work around East Falls Church (although the few bars are in opposite direction from the better apartments).  But that whole area is an annoying Metro ride to anywhere Pentagon-ish because of the Rosslyn backups and the train change.

I'm officially boots on deck. I drove up this past Sunday from Florida and crashed at a friend's house in Fredricksburg and caught up while drinking a bunch and having fun. I finished the drive into Maryland on Monday and checked into my hotel in Jessup for the next week or so. I had to go to the company HQ in Arlington on Tuesday at 8:30. Holy freak that drive. I worked remotely from my hotel today and visited a few apartments. I have decided on the Verde in Elkridge.

https://www.verdehowardsquare.com/

Fun fact.... my company has a suite at Capital One Center.... soooo that's pretty cool.

Didn't someone suggest Baltimore?  :stir:

Offline Copecwby20

Further out the Orange/Silver would be a better bet.  The area around Dunn Loring is completely redeveloped, and there are a few places that might work around East Falls Church (although the few bars are in opposite direction from the better apartments).  But that whole area is an annoying Metro ride to anywhere Pentagon-ish because of the Rosslyn backups and the train change.

Didn't someone suggest Baltimore?  :stir:

To be honest... I am lost as freak. I forgot from my time up here that these towns were set up by people who walked/rode horses everywhere as the fastest means of transportation. It seems like every freaking stop light is a new city. I wanted to find a place in Savage, MD because that's just a cool name. The place I picked out is 3.2 miles from my office. That makes me happy.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Copecwby20 - wish I could work with you

To be honest... I am lost as freak. I forgot from my time up here that these towns were set up by people who walked/rode horses everywhere as the fastest means of transportation. It seems like every freaking stop light is a new city. I wanted to find a place in Savage, MD because that's just a cool name. The place I picked out is 3.2 miles from my office. That makes me happy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I wanted to find a place in Savage, MD because that's just a cool name. The place I picked out is 3.2 miles from my office. That makes me happy.
If I were a real estate / condo developer, I would definitely build a complex in Savage called "The Randy."  Oh, yeah!

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
I had to go to the company HQ in Arlington on Tuesday at 8:30. Holy freak that drive.

Yup. Welcome.

Offline Copecwby20

Yup. Welcome.

Gotta go back down there and Henderson Hall in the morning. Yayyyyyyy. I might drive by Nats Park after just to see it. Miss that place.

Offline Copecwby20

Copecwby20 - wish I could work with you

Just go get a TS/SCI w/ Poly and come on. From what I’ve seen the first few days the clearance is the most important qualification 😂😂😂

Offline GburgNatsFan

If I were a real estate / condo developer, I would definitely build a complex in Savage called "The Randy."  Oh, yeah!

Pretty much captures Cope. He's a randy savage.

Glad to see you're back, Cope.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Pretty much captures Cope. He's a randy savage.

Glad to see you're back, Cope.

if he moved to Tennessee, I'm sure he'd move to Johnson City.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I had that when working for Army 2008-11 - just in a different area

Just go get a TS/SCI w/ Poly and come on. From what I’ve seen the first few days the clearance is the most important qualification 😂😂😂

Offline GburgNatsFan

if he moved to Tennessee, I'm sure he'd move to Johnson City.
:hysterical:

Offline Copecwby20

Down near DC today so I’m grabbing lunch at the Crystal City Sports Pub. This is a cool place.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Down near DC today so I’m grabbing lunch at the Crystal City Sports Pub. This is a cool place.
I would have figured you would have hit Crystal City Restaurant. 

Offline Copecwby20

I would have figured you would have hit Crystal City Restaurant.

I almost did but decided to go pay the light bill at Maryland Live instead. CCSP is pretty damn good though. I had their meat lovers personal pizza thing and their Bourbon was fairly priced. I had a Buffalo Trace neat. Once I actually get a paycheck from this new gig I’m going to go back for the Blanton’s.