Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 1  (Read 8951 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 1
« Reply #50: September 10, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »
I guess it's better than drain pipes in the OF at Yankee Stadium.   

"The cover was made of thin plywood with a rubber coating. According to a former Yankee groundskeeper, “It was wedged in there, below-ground. You had to hit it with your heel, wedge it down real tight. If it wasn’t, a player could trip on it."

It still makes me :smh: to think that the weather this evening was fine but the field was unplayable.   

As a 19-year-old rookie in his first World Series [in 1951], Mickey Mantle tore the cartilage in his right knee on a fly ball by Willie Mays while playing right field. Joe DiMaggio, in the last year of his career, was playing center field. Mays' fly was hit to shallow center, and as Mantle came over to back up DiMaggio, Mantle's cleats caught a drainage cover in the outfield grass. His knee twisted awkwardly and he instantly fell. Witnesses say it looked "like he had been shot." He was carried off the field on a stretcher and watched the rest of the World Series on TV from a hospital bed.

Dr. Stephen Haas, medical director for the National Football League Players Association, has speculated that Mantle may have torn his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) during the incident and played the rest of his career without having it properly treated since ACLs could not be repaired with the surgical techniques available in that era.

Still, Mantle was known as the "fastest man to first base" and won the American League triple crown in 1956. In 1949, he received a draft-examine notice and was about to be drafted by the US Army but failed the physical exam and was rejected as unqualified and was given a 4-F deferment for any military service.

A discussion of the 1951 pennant and World Series is here:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #51: September 10, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

As a 19-year-old rookie in his first World Series [in 1951], Mickey Mantle tore the cartilage in his right knee on a fly ball by Willie Mays while playing right field. Joe DiMaggio, in the last year of his career, was playing center field. Mays' fly was hit to shallow center, and as Mantle came over to back up DiMaggio, Mantle's cleats caught a drainage cover in the outfield grass. His knee twisted awkwardly and he instantly fell. Witnesses say it looked "like he had been shot." He was carried off the field on a stretcher and watched the rest of the World Series on TV from a hospital bed.

Dr. Stephen Haas, medical director for the National Football League Players Association, has speculated that Mantle may have torn his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) during the incident and played the rest of his career without having it properly treated since ACLs could not be repaired with the surgical techniques available in that era.

Still, Mantle was known as the "fastest man to first base" and won the American League triple crown in 1956. In 1949, he received a draft-examine notice and was about to be drafted by the US Army but failed the physical exam and was rejected as unqualified and was given a 4-F deferment for any military service.

That's the one.    Pretty good deal though.    4-F and play baseball another 17 years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: September 10, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »
meanwhile, we have two postponed GDTs open.  It really is a strain on my anal-retentive instincts!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #53: September 10, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »
meanwhile, we have two postponed GDTs open.  It really is a strain on my anal-retentive instincts!

I was thinkin' about that earlier as it relates to OC's GDT records and n2p's poll questions.     

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #54: September 10, 2018, 11:41:24 PM »
I was thinkin' about that earlier as it relates to OC's GDT records and n2p's poll questions.   

Old Chelsea posts his stats whenever the games are played. It's the easiest way to keep that straight, (having filled in for OC, since he can't post them on Sat-Sun.)
:uk:
The YNOT Predictions editions are based on road trips and home stands, so those games need to get completed with the makeup games. Some of those questions are cumulative, such as runs scored by the Nationals and scored by their opponents. So you can't just ignore a postponed game, or it makes too many questions invalid.
 :cheers: :popcorn:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #55: September 11, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
Not putting the tarp down over the past weekend, despite the rain, while the Phillies were on the road...

...what were they THINKING??? (Were they thinking?)

With the rain that's already fallen and much more coming via Florence, the homestretch schedule of MLB stands to get messed up something awful...wouldn't be surprised to see postponement of the playoffs and World Series because of all the make-up fixtures that will be required.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #56: September 11, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »
Why the Phillies ground crew did NOT put down their tarp over the weekend:

#15 in the Rain Postponement Poll (0 votes so far):
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=29065.0

Monday's game is rescheduled for Tuesday Sept 11 at 3:05 pm.

Need 2 more entries before the start of this afternoon's tonight's game (including delays), to raise the point values in YNOT Predictions Edition 21, 8 away, 3 at PHI, 3 at ATL, 2 at MIA Mon Sep 10-Tue Sep 18, 2018
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=36982.0

If 8 or 9 entries, Winner 4 points, 2nd place 3 points, 3rd place 2 points, 4th place 1 point
If 6 or 7 entries, Winner 3 points, 2nd place 2 points, 3rd place 1 points, 4th place 0 points

:panic:   :ballbat:   :run:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: September 11, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
biggest takeaway so far from this debacle is the knowledge that the Phillies possess flame throwers.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #58: September 11, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
Updated game one line-ups posted.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #59: September 11, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »
Let's hope Fedde doesn't crap his pants on the mound again.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #60: September 11, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
biggest takeaway so far from this debacle is the knowledge that the Phillies possess flame throwers.

For me the biggest surprise was not that the whole fiasco revealed the Phillies to be a second rate organization. No, the biggest shock to me was the fans not booing when they postponed the game.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #61: September 11, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
For me the biggest surprise was not that the whole fiasco revealed the Phillies to be a second rate organization. No, the biggest shock to me was the fans not booing when they postponed the game.

Some wag in one of the Post comment sections included, "The fans in Philly could have booed the field dry."

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #62: September 11, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »
Some wag in one of the Post comment sections included, "The fans in Philly could have booed the field dry."

The Phillies' fans have been watching their post season hopes slip away over the past week.  Expect to see many empty seats in this series.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #63: September 11, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
Chelsea Janes

Verified account

@chelsea_janes
 6m6 minutes ago

It is almost sunny out right now. Legit. I'm not kidding. Also they've stopped working on the field. We're being lulled into a false sense of security.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #64: September 11, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
Chelsea Janes

Verified account

@chelsea_janes
 8m8 minutes ago
More
It's sunny in Philadelphia.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #65: September 11, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
Wow. The park looks just about completely empty.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #66: September 11, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »
Wow. It doesn't look like there's 500 people at the park.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #67: September 11, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
Wow. It doesn't look like there's 500 people at the park.

Florence caused a battery shortage...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: September 11, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
Used ones work just as well. If not better.

It’s a hard working city. People cannot just take off work on the spur of the moment like in DC.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #69: September 11, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »

Speakin' of which, there were no D Cell batteries at my local Walmart.    Speakin' to a lady as I passed through the water aisle.   Water was down from normal and the lady was buyin' gallons of water.    She's goin' home to VA Beach.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #70: September 11, 2018, 03:17:39 PM »
Used ones work just as well. If not better.

I take it you speak from experience?  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #71: September 11, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »

He recycles.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: September 11, 2018, 03:20:47 PM »
I’ll never tell.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #73: September 11, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »
It’s a hard working city. People cannot just take off work on the spur of the moment like in DC.

:crackup:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #74: September 11, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
FP is checked out