Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Matthew Crownover  (Read 1033 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Matthew Crownover
« Topic Start: August 25, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »

Name: James Matthew Crownover
Born: Mar 5, 1993 in Ringgold, Ga. USA
High School: Ringgold (Ga.) HS
College: Clemson
Ht.: 5'11" / Wt.: 205 lbs
Bats: L / Throws: R

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=608327#/career/R/pitching/2018/ALL

Drafted in the 6th round (194th overall) by the Washington Nationals in 2015 (signed for $160,000)

Minors career:
2015 - Auburn - 49.2 IP, 3.81 ERA, 34Ks, 9 BBs
2016 - Hagerstown - 38.1 IP, 1.17 ERA 34Ks, 11BBs
2016 - Potomac - 90.1 IP,  4.28 ERA, 76Ks, 31BBs
2017 - Potomac - 46.1 IP, 1.19 ERA, 42Ks, 11BBs
2017 - Harrisburg - 84 IP, 4.50 ERA, 45Ks, 34BBs
2018 - Potomac - 113 IP, 4.46 ERA, 77Ks, 32BBs

Nationalsarmsrace Scouting Report (2016):

Round 6: Matt Crownover, LHP (starter) COL jr. from Clemson.  Posted a 9-5 record with a 3.36 ERA across two levels this year  110/42 K/BB in 128 2/3 IP combined.  For Potomac specifically; 4-4, 4.28 ERA, 1.45 whip, 4.48 fip, .317 babip.  Crownover quickly showed he was too good for Low-A (1.17 ERA his first two months there) and then settled into Potomac’s rotation for the rest of the year.  He wasn’t as lights out in Potomac but was solid.  He nearly led Potomac in starts and was part of their post-season rotation (where he pitched into the seventh and gave up just one earned run but took the loss in the season finale).  I could see him starting next year in Potomac with an eye towards jumping up to AA similarly to the way he split time this year.

Prospects 1500 rated him as our #33 prospect coming into to 2018:

33. Matthew Crownover, LHP
Opening Day Age: 24
2017 Highest Level: AA
Small lefty at 5’11”, Crownover was drafted in the sixth round in 2015. Struggled when he was promoted to AA ball. No strikeouts to see here. (4.82 K/9) Minor league roster filler.

Offline dcpatti

LHP Matthew Crownover vs Hillcats tonight
« Reply #1: August 25, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
I didn’t see a thread on Crownover (using my phone currently) but he’s doing something cool at Potomac tonight. Bottom of the 8th. If you have the MiLB app, you may want to follow along/

Offline dcpatti

Re: LHP Matthew Crownover vs Hillcats tonight
« Reply #2: August 25, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Matthew Crownover no-hit the Lynchburg Hillcats (Indians) on 110 pitches!!!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: August 25, 2018, 09:38:45 PM »
Call him up

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: August 25, 2018, 11:26:30 PM »
First no hitter in PNats history.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #5: August 25, 2018, 11:38:39 PM »
Crownover cruised through the first 8 innings, and got some help from his defense, especially RF Rhett Weismann and CF Nick Banks, who each made some fantastic diving catches in early innings. He seemed really tired when he came out for the 9th, thanks in part to a big offensive bottom of the 8th for the PNats. He got two fly outs then walked two (although Balls Three and Four for the second walk didn’t seem like they were really balls), then fell behind 2-1 to the next batter before C Jackson Reetz came out for a pep talk. Crownover got the pop-up he was looking for and for a second it looked like SS Luis Garcia and 2B Andruw Montasario were going to collide and drop it, but Garcia made the play and Crownover got the no-no!

Other notable stuff:

Telmito Agustin looks REALLY good these days. He’s filled out a bit more since the start of the season, and went 2-4 with a double that barely missed going over the wall. Loud, solid contact and the dude is FAST. I’d expect him to start in Harrisburg next season (or to be traded; he has apparently been drawing interest).

Andruw Montasario, who came over in the Daniel Murphy deal, went 1-3. The dude is huge.

The PNats manufactured their first two runs on a weird wild pitch/error combo on the same play that I still don’t think I understand.

The Hillcats catcher, Gavin Collins, has a freakin cannon and caught two PNats stealing, one of which was the aforementioned Telmito Agustin.

Offline imref

« Reply #6: August 26, 2018, 12:21:45 AM »
Very cool. 6th round pick in 2015 out of Clemson. Had been the ACC pitcher of the year. Haven’t heard anything about him.  4.50 at Harrisburg in 2017 so he got demoted.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #7: August 27, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
Crownover cruised through the first 8 innings, and got some help from his defense, especially RF Rhett Weismann and CF Nick Banks, who each made some fantastic diving catches in early innings. He seemed really tired when he came out for the 9th, thanks in part to a big offensive bottom of the 8th for the PNats. He got two fly outs then walked two (although Balls Three and Four for the second walk didn’t seem like they were really balls), then fell behind 2-1 to the next batter before C Jackson Reetz came out for a pep talk. Crownover got the pop-up he was looking for and for a second it looked like SS Luis Garcia and 2B Andruw Montasario were going to collide and drop it, but Garcia made the play and Crownover got the no-no!

Other notable stuff:

Telmito Agustin looks REALLY good these days. He’s filled out a bit more since the start of the season, and went 2-4 with a double that barely missed going over the wall. Loud, solid contact and the dude is FAST. I’d expect him to start in Harrisburg next season (or to be traded; he has apparently been drawing interest).

Andruw Montasario, who came over in the Daniel Murphy deal, went 1-3. The dude is huge.

The PNats manufactured their first two runs on a weird wild pitch/error combo on the same play that I still don’t think I understand.

The Hillcats catcher, Gavin Collins, has a freakin cannon and caught two PNats stealing, one of which was the aforementioned Telmito Agustin.

:woop: :clap: :clap:  Thanks for the report, patti.  Good stuff as always.

Very cool. 6th round pick in 2015 out of Clemson. Had been the ACC pitcher of the year. Haven’t heard anything about him.  4.50 at Harrisburg in 2017 so he got demoted.

I've seen him a couple times at Potomac over the years.  Pretty consistent mechanics and his stuff is fine for that league, but he just doesn't have the fastball to go much higher than maybe AA, and he doesn't have a projectable frame or anything.  He must be 25 or 26 by now, too.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #8: August 27, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »

I've seen him a couple times at Potomac over the years.  Pretty consistent mechanics and his stuff is fine for that league, but he just doesn't have the fastball to go much higher than maybe AA, and he doesn't have a projectable frame or anything.  He must be 25 or 26 by now, too.

He did rely almost exclusively on the curveball and change for the later innings. The fastball wasn't doing much.  But I'll give him bonus points for being stubborn and working through the last inning. Not a lot of guys can find that extra push when they need it. Maybe there's hope for him yet.  He's 25 so maybe not.

Also, Montasario got the credit for the game-ending catch, not Garcia.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #9: August 27, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »
He did rely almost exclusively on the curveball and change for the later innings. The fastball wasn't doing much.  But I'll give him bonus points for being stubborn and working through the last inning. Not a lot of guys can find that extra push when they need it. Maybe there's hope for him yet.  He's 25 so maybe not.

Also, Montasario got the credit for the game-ending catch, not Garcia.

While we're here, I like Agustin and hope they don't trade him.  I'd assumed one of the reasons they were comfortable sending Perkins out was that Agustin was looking good, but it seems they're still only using him in the corners.  He clearly has the speed and arm to handle CF, so I do wonder why they aren't trying him there - that would make him a pretty solid 4th OF candidate for MLB.  Any dirt on that? I like the swing, though, and if he keeps adding muscle I think he has a real shot. 

Offline imref

« Reply #10: August 27, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
would it make sense to turn this into a "FTP" thread for Crownover?  JCA?

Of course, we'd have to call it "GOOD MORNING POTOMAC!!!

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #11: August 27, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
While we're here, I like Agustin and hope they don't trade him.  I'd assumed one of the reasons they were comfortable sending Perkins out was that Agustin was looking good, but it seems they're still only using him in the corners.  He clearly has the speed and arm to handle CF, so I do wonder why they aren't trying him there - that would make him a pretty solid 4th OF candidate for MLB.  Any dirt on that? I like the swing, though, and if he keeps adding muscle I think he has a real shot.

No clue really, other than I've heard a number of comments that the state of the field at the Pfitz makes the team reluctant to put any of their more highly prized prospects out there for very long. Maybe Agustin will shift to CF once he hits Harrisburg. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #12: August 27, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
No clue really, other than I've heard a number of comments that the state of the field at the Pfitz makes the team reluctant to put any of their more highly prized prospects out there for very long. Maybe Agustin will shift to CF once he hits Harrisburg.

:hysterical:  Thanks.  That sadly makes a bit of sense.  I remember seeing Robles take a tumble or two out there and wondering.

Offline imref

« Reply #13: August 27, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
:hysterical:  Thanks.  That sadly makes a bit of sense.  I remember seeing Robles take a tumble or two out there and wondering.

harper skipped Potomac for that reason.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: August 28, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
would it make sense to turn this into a "FTP" thread for Crownover?  JCA?

Of course, we'd have to call it "GOOD MORNING POTOMAC!!!
We could, but it needs the basics.  I can take some inane post that predates post 1, clean out the content, paste in the basics, then give it the FTP title, link, etc...  After that, I paste in this thread we have the FTP thread for him.  I can also break out some of the Augustin posts and put those in his FTP, or at least copy them in.

Elvir - is Crownover the kind of guy who might benefit from a switch to relief?  A couple extra MPH to go with the curve and he sounds like a multi-inning middle guy.

Offline imref

« Reply #15: August 28, 2018, 11:19:29 AM »
here you go:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #16: August 28, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
here you go:

Name: James Matthew Crownover
Born: Mar 5, 1993 in Ringgold, Ga. USA
High School: Ringgold (Ga.) HS
College: Clemson
Ht.: 5'11" / Wt.: 205 lbs
Bats: L / Throws: R

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=608327#/career/R/pitching/2018/ALL

Drafted in the 6th round (194th overall) by the Washington Nationals in 2015 (signed for $160,000)

Minors career:
2015 - Auburn - 49.2 IP, 3.81 ERA, 34Ks, 9 BBs
2016 - Hagerstown - 38.1 IP, 1.17 ERA 34Ks, 11BBs
2016 - Potomac - 90.1 IP,  4.28 ERA, 76Ks, 31BBs
2017 - Potomac - 46.1 IP, 1.19 ERA, 42Ks, 11BBs
2017 - Harrisburg - 84 IP, 4.50 ERA, 45Ks, 34BBs
2018 - Potomac - 113 IP, 4.46 ERA, 77Ks, 32BBs

Nationalsarmsrace Scouting Report (2016):

Prospects 1500 rated him as our #33 prospect coming into to 2018:

My late father was born in Ringgold...  :shock:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator