Author Topic: Tennis 2018  (Read 186 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Tennis 2018
« Topic Start: August 18, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
Headed to the Western and Southern Open. First time to see Roger Federer in person. Second level. So not a bad seat. Will get there early and maybe catch some of the doubles action on other courts from late in the day session.

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Tennis 2018
« Reply #1: August 19, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
Had a good time at the Western and Southern Open.  The Djokovic match had just finished up when I arrived so only saw him hitting balls into the stands.  Went to the Grandstand court and watched a mens semifinals doubles match.  The only guy I had heard of was Jaime Murray--Andy's brother.  Andy lost in the first round early in the week.  Then saw some of the end of the women's singes semifinal before the main event with Roger Federer.  He did not hit the ball that well in the first set and his opponent, Goffin, kept him off balance.  8 Aces helped Federer get to a tiebreaker where he prevailed.  This second set was tied at 1-1 when all of a sudden Goffin "retired".  Had not seen it but someone near me said that he had been getting treatment for his shoulder or elbow between sets.  That was disappointing but cleared out the fans and made traffic better.  Watched the first set of the women's doubles final in the same arena--was able to move closer to the court which was nice.  The big ladies from Russia/Czech Republic were just two big and strong and hot the ball too hard for their opponents.  Should be a good final today with Djokovic and Federer.

The highlight was during the women's doubles when this older gentleman sat next me.  He looked at my hat and said, "Wisconsin?"  I laughed and said Walgreens.  I made him guess what it was and finally he said Washington--filled him in on the Curly W. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2: August 28, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »
Frances Tiafoe, the 20 year old from College Park, just won his first round match at the US Open.  His first win there.  He is 44th in the rankings and has moved up quite a bit this year.  Not the trajectory some predicted for him a few years ago but still has a chance to be a top player. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #3: August 28, 2018, 08:48:01 PM »
Frances Tiafoe, the 20 year old from College Park, just won his first round match at the US Open.  His first win there.  He is 44th in the rankings and has moved up quite a bit this year.  Not the trajectory some predicted for him a few years ago but still has a chance to be a top player. 

Saw the number one woman lost in NYC.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: September 02, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
Saw the number one woman lost in NYC.
The top women dropping out like flies. Serena and Sloane Stephens like that.

Big Johnny Isner into the quarterfinals.  I like Big Johnny.  He's so tall.  And slow.  And serves so darn hard; especially that second serve.