Author Topic: Looking for restaurant recommendations in DC  (Read 551 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Looking for restaurant recommendations in DC
« Topic Start: August 14, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
I'm looking for any and all restaurant recommendations in DC for Saturday lunch and Sunday breakfast/brunch. As close to the ballpark as possible but within the city limits and a casual atmosphere (I'm not taking a coat and tie). No franchises por favor. Sadly Sherrils Bakery closed down a number of years ago but there has to be other such places like it still thriving. What say you ye city dwellers?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for restaurant recommendations in DC
« Reply #1: August 14, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
I'm looking for any and all restaurant recommendations in DC for Saturday lunch and Sunday breakfast/brunch. As close to the ballpark as possible but within the city limits and a casual atmosphere (I'm not taking a coat and tie). No franchises por favor. Sadly Sherrils Bakery closed down a number of years ago but there has to be other such places like it still thriving. What say you ye city dwellers?

All Purpose and Osteria Morini for Italian are near the stadium and both Excellent. Agua 301 is good Mexican and I really like Blue Jacket.

If you want to venture to Capitol Hill (still not that far), I'd recommend Lavagna (Italian), Cava Mezze or Ambar (Mediterranean), Belga Cafe and Barrel are also good. I know it's a Franchise, but you can't beat Ted's bulletin.   

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2: August 14, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »
All Purpose and Osteria Morini for Italian are near the stadium and both Excellent. Agua 301 is good Mexican and I really like Blue Jacket.

If you want to venture to Capitol Hill (still not that far), I'd recommend Lavagna (Italian), Cava Mezze or Ambar (Mediterranean), Belga Cafe and Barrel are also good. I know it's a Franchise, but you can't beat Ted's bulletin.   

Excellent recommendations. Thanks! What about places like Eastern Market or Pa Ave SE?  I'm not opposed to a cab ride to areas such as Shaw, Brookland or uptown around Two Amy's?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #3: August 14, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
El Centro DF on 14th and T NW has a really good small-plates brunch, $39/person for unlimited tapas-sized plates and brunch drinks (bloody mary, agua fresca which is like a boozy punch, beer). reservations recommended since it's a smaller place and people tend to camp out soakin up those unlimited drinks.  I believe Masa 14, which is next door, has a similar deal. El Centro DF is mexican and traditional brunch items; Masa 14 is asian fusion.  Easy walk to U Street- Cardozo metro which is the green line, just like the ballpark.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #4: August 14, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »
El Centro DF on 14th and T NW has a really good small-plates brunch, $39/person for unlimited tapas-sized plates and brunch drinks (bloody mary, agua fresca which is like a boozy punch, beer). reservations recommended since it's a smaller place and people tend to camp out soakin up those unlimited drinks.  I believe Masa 14, which is next door, has a similar deal. El Centro DF is mexican and traditional brunch items; Masa 14 is asian fusion.  Easy walk to U Street- Cardozo metro which is the green line, just like the ballpark.

Thanks Patti. I like the green line aspect. ;)

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #5: August 14, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »
Excellent recommendations. Thanks! What about places like Eastern Market or Pa Ave SE?  I'm not opposed to a cab ride to areas such as Shaw, Brookland or uptown around Two Amy's?

Two Amy's doesn't do it for me, but in Brookland there's Brookland Pint, or their sister restaurant Meridian Pint in Columbia Heights, both of which have excellent food, good prices, and an impressive beer selection. Their staff actually knows about the beer selection and can help with recommendations (as opposed to places like Yard House where they memorize what's on the taps but don't know what any of it means).  Both have good brunch. Neither take reservations and both are popular so plan accordingly.

Around the corner from Two Amys is The Grilled Oyster Company if you want seafood. Great happy hour ($4 for 3 shucked oysters-- works out to $16 a dozen).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: August 14, 2018, 04:41:56 PM »

The Capitol Hill Places I listed are all in the Eastern Market Area...I use the terms interchangeably. Sorry

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #7: August 14, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
I second Ambar and Ted's Bulletin in Eastern Market. If you can make your way to Chinatown, I'd recommend Farmers and Distillers.

Offline blue911

« Reply #8: August 15, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
Tune Inn or Market Lunch

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #9: August 15, 2018, 12:32:59 PM »
Dixie Bones BBQ in NoVa does a good Sunday brunch

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #10: August 15, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
Tune Inn or Market Lunch

Tune Inn and Hawk & Dove, many happy memories.  :glug:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #11: August 15, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »
Tune Inn and Hawk & Dove, many happy memories.  :glug:

One of my bar hoppin' regrets is I never went to the Hawk 'n Dove when Baseball Bill held court there.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #12: August 15, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
One of my bar hoppin' regrets is I never went to the Hawk 'n Dove when Baseball Bill held court there.

He was everything you expected but on steroids.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #13: August 18, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
For lunch today we went to the Salt Line restaurant. It’s on the water right behind the first base gate. We spent the morning walking the boardwalk up into the navy yard and back. We were both totally mesmerized by the transformation of this part of town. Bam this is a vibrant part of the city now. More stores, bars and restaurants than you can imagine. And everyone was out walking their dogs or kids.

We both had lobster rolls with some oysters on the half shell. The surprising thing for me was their extensive variety of bourbons including Pappy Van Winkle. I had the 15 year old Pappy which was the first Pappy I’ve had. They had the 10, 12, 15, 20 and 23 year available from $20 a pour to $130 for the 23yo. Very nice weekend so far. :mg:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #14: August 19, 2018, 05:44:05 PM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #15: August 19, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #16: August 19, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #17: August 19, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #18: August 19, 2018, 05:50:59 PM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #19: August 19, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #20: August 19, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »
Nice pictures. I'm ready for all this stupid construction to be finished.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #21: August 20, 2018, 09:27:49 AM »
For lunch today we went to the Salt Line restaurant. It’s on the water right behind the first base gate. We spent the morning walking the boardwalk up into the navy yard and back. We were both totally mesmerized by the transformation of this part of town. Bam this is a vibrant part of the city now. More stores, bars and restaurants than you can imagine. And everyone was out walking their dogs or kids.

We went to the District Winery on Saturday night and had the same impression of the Navy Yard area. When it's all done I think it will even outdo the Wharf just because there will be more options. (Well, maybe until the second phase of the Wharf is finished in about 5 years or so.)

Offline blue911

« Reply #22: August 20, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »
I like the pizza at All Purpose

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: August 20, 2018, 09:56:22 AM »

The Buono pizza is fantastic. The garlic knots are to die for.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #24: August 20, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »

I haven't heard of this place, and it's near my place. I'm definitely checking it out.

In terms of pizza, I've always been a fan of Wise Guys.