Author Topic: Trea Turner Tweets  (Read 8791 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Trea Turner Tweets
« Reply #225: August 03, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
I am 100% sure that if Trea Turner were a washed up relief pitcher, and not a promising young infielder, he would have been DFA'ed when his tweets were discovered

obviously

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #226: August 03, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
Nobody said they never had an impure thought, but that they don’t express them in a public forum. Seems like a big difference.

“I’ve committed adultrey in my heart many times”

My bet all those impure thinkers out there may have at least once audiolized some of their rancid beliefs to another. But maybe sports writers and all those in the media so quick to condemn are pure of spirit and have never thought ill of another person for all the wrong reasons.
BTW thanks posting for Carter video. Those were the days

Offline vernon337

« Reply #227: August 03, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
If every major league player who ever uttered a comment that was derogatory to another race or ethnicity, or mocked groups via an insult about intelligence or physical appearance, or expressed hatred for someone because they didn't like who they voted for, most (if not all) teams wouldn't be able to field a full lineup. 

It is weird to me, who grew up in a military atmosphere in the 1950s, that we so harshly condemn people for making nasty comments that are general in nature, when almost everyone is guilty of having knowingly made comments to an individual that they knew would hurt that person.  I don't condone racist or ethnic slurs, or any other kind of slur for that matter, but, wow, the idea that it is an offense that should get someone kicked off a team seems absurd to me. 

Furthermore, I would bet that a hefty percentage of Major League players have used their physical abilities to intimidate others less physically endowed.  And a goodly number were probably bullies to a greater or lesser extent while growing up. 

While I'm posting, on another point: Unless you are inside the clubhouse on a daily basis, you don't know what the true dynamics are there.  Reading the blogs and such doesn't provide us with that knowledge.  And no matter how high an opinion you have of yourself, you do not have some sort of mystical ability to know what the Lerners, Rizzo, Martinez, etc. are thinking. 

I don't know anything about what goes on in the clubhouse, but I do think it is not very reasonable to think a player who has one of the lowest WHIPs on the pitching staff was canned just because he threw his glove on the ground and stared at the dugout.  Kelley has been on this team for two years, and that's time enough for the other players and the staff to know what his presence on the team was worth. 

Finally, I just want to say I am mighty glad the team I root for didn't throw in the towel while only six games out of first place with almost sixty games to go.  I want my team to fight for a shot at the playoffs until there is absolutely no reason to think they have a chance.  I was looking at the past few years, and found that in 2015 two teams that were six/seven games back on July 31 wound up winning their divisions.  While it's still unlikely that the Nats can pull it off, I damn sure want them to find out if they can.  That's the team I want to root for.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #228: August 03, 2018, 06:20:35 PM »
Critics 15, Audience 55
I don't have much of a feel for Rotten Tomatoes ratings, but IMDB rated it 5.5 which is pretty bad. I won't watch a movie unless it IMDB rating in above 8.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #229: August 03, 2018, 06:46:01 PM »
I don't have much of a feel for Rotten Tomatoes ratings, but IMDB rated it 5.5 which is pretty bad. I won't watch a movie unless it IMDB rating in above 8.

Anchorman is under 8

Offline Ray D

« Reply #230: August 03, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
Anchorman is under 8
Well I suppose I lied then.   Loved Anchorman.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #231: August 03, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of.......

Offline dracnal

« Reply #232: August 06, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »

RT ratings are interesting because they answer one question: 'Did you like it more than you disliked it?' It's not how much you liked it or how well you thought it compared to another movie. It's just a simple thumbs up or thumbs down.

My wife and I do the 70/50 rule. If at least 70% of either the critics or fans gave it a thumb's up and at least 50% of the other group, we'll watch it, even if we hadn't heard of the movie or don't normally like the genre. So far that's done very well for us.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Let me get this straight
« Reply #233: August 06, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
I'm 100% sure that it Trea Turner were a washed up relief pitcher, no one would have bothered digging up his old tweets.

I am 100% sure that if Trea Turner were a washed up relief pitcher, and not a promising young infielder, he would have been DFA'ed when his tweets were discovered

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #234: August 06, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
Doolittle's response to Trea Turner's tweets came up in today's Boswell Q&A.  I don't agree with everything Boswell writes, but he knocks this one out of the park.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #235: August 06, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »
Doolittle's response to Trea Turner's tweets came up in today's Boswell Q&A.  I don't agree with everything Boswell writes, but he knocks this one out of the park.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ouch

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Burke

IMHO     Doolittle "handled it" as a friend/team mate should.     He wasn't loud/look at me.    He seemed measured and calm  ...  and correct.    He said it face to face.      It's reassuring to have friends like that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #236: August 06, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »
"We're paying him..."

Wait, which Lerner wrote this?

(Image removed from quote.)