Author Topic: Paying for stuff  (Read 2075 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Paying for stuff
« Reply #75: October 15, 2020, 08:35:51 AM »
Anyone here been involved in a PayPal dispute before? My elderly mother was scammed into sending $50 to China via PayPal to buy an item from a website that no longer exists (3 weeks later).

not me, but my mother was scammed a while ago (received a picture of a product from a scam site). It was quick an painless (the dispute part- she's still embarrassed)

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #76: October 15, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
Filed the dispute. The seller already emailed my mom trying to get her to close out the PayPal claim, lol.

My buddy who sells stuff on eBay complains that PayPal automatically sides with the buyer, so here's hoping that's true.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #77: October 15, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
Filed the dispute. The seller already emailed my mom trying to get her to close out the PayPal claim, lol.

My buddy who sells stuff on eBay complains that PayPal automatically sides with the buyer, so here's hoping that's true.
The seller is obviously scum.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #79: October 15, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »

Years ago, when it and eBay were relatively new, they tended to side with the merchant. I had a bit of a dogfight with them, as the seller did technically send me an item, but it wasn't remotely what was listed or shown in photos. It was a violin, that I picked up as a gift for my wife, but when it came, it was clear it was really, really shoddy materials and construction, couldn't stay in tune through the end of a song, and you could easily get a fingernail in between the neck and where it attached to the body. I returned the violin reported it to eBay and PayPal. They sided with the seller and my PayPal account was frozen - I was unable to add funds or withdraw them. I went through every kind of ID verification hoop I could jump through to prove I was me. Finally, after several months of me sending regular emails wanting a status update on my case, refund, and ability to access my PayPal funds, they finally sent me a check for the balance of my wallet and reimbursement for the violin, under the condition that I would not be able to open another PayPal account in the future.

Makes me happy to hear they side with the buyer now and recognize that scams are a legit problem. I do feel bad for guys like your buddy who are honest getting the hassle of dealing with scammers, but they'll typically have a long track record of satisfied customers, which should make it easier for them to be cleared after an investigation.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #80: October 15, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
Years ago, when it and eBay were relatively new, they tended to side with the merchant. I had a bit of a dogfight with them, as the seller did technically send me an item, but it wasn't remotely what was listed or shown in photos. It was a violin, that I picked up as a gift for my wife, but when it came, it was clear it was really, really shoddy materials and construction, couldn't stay in tune through the end of a song, and you could easily get a fingernail in between the neck and where it attached to the body. I returned the violin reported it to eBay and PayPal. They sided with the seller and my PayPal account was frozen - I was unable to add funds or withdraw them. I went through every kind of ID verification hoop I could jump through to prove I was me. Finally, after several months of me sending regular emails wanting a status update on my case, refund, and ability to access my PayPal funds, they finally sent me a check for the balance of my wallet and reimbursement for the violin, under the condition that I would not be able to open another PayPal account in the future.

Makes me happy to hear they side with the buyer now and recognize that scams are a legit problem. I do feel bad for guys like your buddy who are honest getting the hassle of dealing with scammers, but they'll typically have a long track record of satisfied customers, which should make it easier for them to be cleared after an investigation.

this is why I will never allow PayPal to hold funds- they want to act like a bank without accepting any of the regulation. I just link a credit card. I figure if I ever have to dispute with PayPal, I'll just dispute with AMEX if PayPal sides with the seller

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: October 15, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
They always side with buyer. There are just as many scam buyers as there are sellers though. I sell stuff occasionally, and the stuff people try to pull you wouldn’t believe. It’s a real problem. You can’t even leave negative feedback on buyers anymore.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #82: October 15, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »
They always side with buyer. There are just as many scam buyers as there are sellers though. I sell stuff occasionally, and the stuff people try to pull you wouldn’t believe. It’s a real problem. You can’t even leave negative feedback on buyers anymore.

Wow. That is ridiculous. That should be the primary way for both seller and buyer to be evaluated.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #83: October 16, 2020, 08:20:43 AM »
The items that I ordered on Tuesday arrived yesterday instead of Saturday like originally estimated.  A true 2 day delivery from Amazon. :bow:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #84: October 16, 2020, 08:40:41 AM »
The items that I ordered on Tuesday arrived yesterday instead of Saturday like originally estimated.  A true 2 day delivery from Amazon. :bow:

It's crazy how much where you are mailing from and where you are sending to can affect delivery times. My oldest daughter has been prioritizing the roommate's pet medical bills instead of her own bills and as a result hasn't had a cell phone for a long time. My wife finally got tired of trying to reach her via Discord and picked up a new phone on our family plan. I mailed it from a UPS store on Monday at 7PM, with an estimated delivery of five to ten days. It got there on Thursday.

It's basically because it shipped from 15 miles from IAD and landed at DFW, about 15 miles to the destination there as well.