Author Topic: Paying for stuff  (Read 2038 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Paying for stuff
« Topic Start: July 23, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »
I think it's been addressed before but  ....  I noticed (for various reasons) a lot of "no cash" stations at the Park yesterday.    I know lots of folks don't like to carry cash but the "no cash" sign was up at more places than the last time I was there.    For a "big spender" like myself, it's a limiter to my purchases.   I walk by and decide I don't need it (whatever they're sellin').    Often, I don't try the next window.   

For such a large crowd, there were a lot of closed stations as well.    Did this have something to do with the rain delay?    On another note, I like the Shock Top bar on the 200 level.   Last 2 times I was there, it was closed.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Paying for stuff
« Reply #1: July 23, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
You just don't like to carry a debit card? It's cool, I'm just curious. Personally, I hate carrying cash. I drop it pulling it out of my pocket. Yeah, I know, wallet, but I've never gotten into the habit of putting pocket money in my wallet.

I think it's been addressed before but  ....  I noticed (for various reasons) a lot of "no cash" stations at the Park yesterday.    I know lots of folks don't like to carry cash but the "no cash" sign was up at more places than the last time I was there.    For a "big spender" like myself, it's a limiter to my purchases.   I walk by and decide I don't need it (whatever they're sellin').    Often, I don't try the next window.   

For such a large crowd, there were a lot of closed stations as well.    Did this have something to do with the rain delay?    On another note, I like the Shock Top bar on the 200 level.   Last 2 times I was there, it was closed.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2: July 23, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
You just don't like to carry a debit card? It's cool, I'm just curious. Personally, I hate carrying cash. I drop it pulling it out of my pocket. Yeah, I know, wallet, but I've never gotten into the habit of putting pocket money in my wallet.

I carry debit and credit but I don't like to use them in too many places.    :old: and paranoid I suppose.    I too have the cash fallin' on the ground problem.     However, roamin' around yesterday did give me the opportunity to run into Tom Terp.    :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: July 23, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »

The Shock Top Bar is my go to as it is literally right next to my seats. I’ve gotten on a first name basis with the bartenders there. I noticed it has been closed when the weather is projected to be bad (cold or rainy). But that is my favorite place to get the beers.

I imagine the no cash is for speed. I appreciate it when the line is long.

Mitlen, I’d just get a prepaid debit card/gift card. They are sold almost everywhere, not tied to your bank account and are basically like cash

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: July 23, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »

do you keep your slips and reconcile after each purchase or at the end of a period of time?  It seems there's a presumption now that you don't get a receipt when you use a smartphone or a debit card. To me, that's asinine.  I want to know my balance and whether my outstanding bills are covered.  I don't want to slip below my minimums. I reconcile to my withdrawal slips and keep a register. I avoid Sweetgreen precisely because of the no cash policy around here (which they don't do outside of the DC area).

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: July 23, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »
Pretty much, yes.

do you keep your slips and reconcile after each purchase or at the end of a period of time?  It seems there's a presumption now that you don't get a receipt when you use a smartphone or a debit card. To me, that's asinine.  I want to know my balance and whether my outstanding bills are covered.  I don't want to slip below my minimums. I reconcile to my withdrawal slips and keep a register. I avoid Sweetgreen precisely because of the no cash policy around here (which they don't do outside of the DC area).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: July 23, 2018, 05:00:37 PM »

A lot of complaining for someone who easily found a beer dispensary with 2 people in line ahead of him.    :roll:

But boy, oh boy, did the heavens open up a few minutes after I left. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #7: July 23, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »

I only reconcile debit purchases like I would/do with checks.     Yeah, I know I'm an old fart but I'm still a stamp and envelope kind of guy.      I'm the budget person in the household.    Unlike many of you millionaires ( ;), we have to keep track of our expenditures.     We have this old fashioned concept that we should only spend what we have.     I try to keep the books current but the missus gets paid on Fridays so that's the usual nail down the numbers day/weekend.    Social Security only comes once a month so that's an easy one.     Smartphone?      What is that?     :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: July 23, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »

But you can use an app, and get real time notifications whenever your card is swiped and also get a real time look at your balance and see what exactly has been taken off. With checks I could understand because they took time to clear, but if it's instantaneous I don't see the point.

If you don't like smartphones, online banking technology, that's a different story, but otherwise I don't see a need to keep receipts, it's just something with my data printed on it that someone can steal.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #9: July 23, 2018, 06:58:14 PM »
And stay off your lawn.

I only reconcile debit purchases like I would/do with checks.     Yeah, I know I'm an old fart but I'm still a stamp and envelope kind of guy.      I'm the budget person in the household.    Unlike many of you millionaires ( ;), we have to keep track of our expenditures.     We have this old fashioned concept that we should only spend what we have.     I try to keep the books current but the missus gets paid on Fridays so that's the usual nail down the numbers day/weekend.    Social Security only comes once a month so that's an easy one.     Smartphone?      What is that?     :)

Offline mitlen

Re: Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #10: July 23, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
And stay off your lawn.

I guess we're creatures of habit.   I've always been comfortable (as a married man) keepin' a budget.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: July 24, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »
But you can use an app, and get real time notifications whenever your card is swiped and also get a real time look at your balance and see what exactly has been taken off. With checks I could understand because they took time to clear, but if it's instantaneous I don't see the point.

If you don't like smartphones, online banking technology, that's a different story, but otherwise I don't see a need to keep receipts, it's just something with my data printed on it that someone can steal.
so you pay off all your bills instantly, and never have a recurring payment?  you don't use your credit card?  No debts at all?  you have to know the timing of what is coming in and out, what has hit your account, what you expect to hit, and when, which is why you reconcile. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: July 24, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »
so you pay off all your bills instantly, and never have a recurring payment?  you don't use your credit card?  No debts at all?  you have to know the timing of what is coming in and out, what has hit your account, what you expect to hit, and when, which is why you reconcile.

I mean I do keep track of my finances, I just don't understand the point of keeping receipts to come back home to reconcile when I get an electronic notification every time my card is swiped and I can review the transaction history and balance at any time.

I actually usually just pay for almost everything with a credit card to get miles, then send one payment at the end of the month. Otherwise I have a mortgage and fixed utility bills. My actual bank account has probably 5 transactions a month.

But again, it's still unclear why I would need to keep receipts.

I am sorry for taking this so far off topic....

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #13: July 25, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »

There was a good discussion about paying for stuff in a hijacked thread that Terp insisted be brought back on topic.

Maybe Terp can move those discussions here so we can continue to discuss the various ways we may pay for stuff?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #14: July 25, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
Aren't you a mod yet?

There was a good discussion about paying for stuff in a hijacked thread that Terp insisted be brought back on topic.

Maybe Terp can move those discussions here so we can continue to discuss the various ways we may pay for stuff?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #15: July 25, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
Aren't you a mod yet?

Hell, most folks don't even want me posting...  ;)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #16: July 25, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
I missed the original posts, what is this about? Paying for stuff in different ways?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #17: July 25, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
Well, Chief went mostly silent, so...

Hell, most folks don't even want me posting...  ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #18: July 25, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
I missed the original posts, what is this about? Paying for stuff in different ways?

Yeah...cash, credit, debit, bit coin (mitlen's preferred method), receipt or no receipt, pay by mail, electronic payments, accounting...methods were all over the board...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #19: July 25, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »
Well, Chief went mostly silent, so...

He PM'd me the other day...  :whistle:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: July 25, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32248.1225

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #22: July 25, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32248.1225

ah ok it's about paying at the park which doesn't pertain to me :(  carry on.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #23: July 25, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
Well, it could, if you dragged your sorry self up here now and then.

ah ok it's about paying at the park which doesn't pertain to me :(  carry on.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: July 25, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
Well, it could, if you dragged your sorry self up here now and then.

Ain't that the truth...or even to Palm Beach...right down the road from her house!