Author Topic: Paying for stuff  (Read 2039 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Paying for stuff
« Reply #75: October 15, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
Years ago, when it and eBay were relatively new, they tended to side with the merchant. I had a bit of a dogfight with them, as the seller did technically send me an item, but it wasn't remotely what was listed or shown in photos. It was a violin, that I picked up as a gift for my wife, but when it came, it was clear it was really, really shoddy materials and construction, couldn't stay in tune through the end of a song, and you could easily get a fingernail in between the neck and where it attached to the body. I returned the violin reported it to eBay and PayPal. They sided with the seller and my PayPal account was frozen - I was unable to add funds or withdraw them. I went through every kind of ID verification hoop I could jump through to prove I was me. Finally, after several months of me sending regular emails wanting a status update on my case, refund, and ability to access my PayPal funds, they finally sent me a check for the balance of my wallet and reimbursement for the violin, under the condition that I would not be able to open another PayPal account in the future.

Makes me happy to hear they side with the buyer now and recognize that scams are a legit problem. I do feel bad for guys like your buddy who are honest getting the hassle of dealing with scammers, but they'll typically have a long track record of satisfied customers, which should make it easier for them to be cleared after an investigation.

this is why I will never allow PayPal to hold funds- they want to act like a bank without accepting any of the regulation. I just link a credit card. I figure if I ever have to dispute with PayPal, I'll just dispute with AMEX if PayPal sides with the seller