Author Topic: Paying for stuff  (Read 2036 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #25: July 25, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
Thanks, I'm not a huge techie but I did recently discover the joy of Venmo and not having to worry about sending checks to family members when we go in on birthday presents and such, that app is totally worth it.

Venmo and Paypal are fantastic. It's great to avoid carrying around cash. It also means I can pay back my friends as soon as I owe them money. I don't actually have to see them to send them their cash or a check. I have been out and realized I forgot my wallet. It was so easy to borrow money from friends and literally send them the money back instantly via Venmo. It's almost obviated the need for checks as well.

With things like apple pay and samsung pay gaining more acceptance and venmo and paypal, I can negotiate 95% of my transactions without carrying a wallet. As it stands, I can carry one card and some cash for tips, etc, and a driver's license.

For those that are wary, here are what I see as the advantages:

It actually is much easier to budget and manage finances if every single transaction is in the same place. I mentioned I put everything on my credit card which is linked to my phone. If I never use cash, I can go back and see exactly what I spent my money on 6 months or 2 years ago. And the software can break it down by category so I get nice pie charts showing how much I spent on restaurants, or sporting events, or groceries. You can do that if you use case, but it takes a lot more work. This is effortless.

If I lost my wallet, it's such a pain, I have to cancel cards individually and then wait for replacements to be mailed. If it's all on my phone, that's locked with a biometric identifier. If I lose it, I simply remotely wipe it, get a replacement and then just upload it all back to the new device. It can be done in an hour.

If you aren't tech savvy or have a general distrust of payments going electronically, then this probably isn't for you, but I find it quite compelling.