Author Topic: Stanley Cup Parade/Celebration June 12, 2018  (Read 4181 times)

Online Count Walewski

I work six blocks away so I decided to see the parade on my lunch break. Didn't see the Stanley Cup itself or the flyover, but I saw a bus with season ticket holders from 1974 and a bus with the Conn Smythe trophy on it, which is now the highest-ranking hockey award I've seen in person.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Tell me what city can match DC's backdrop for a sports parade and celebration?

Online Natsinpwc

Who's going to do the Jason Kelce speech for the Caps?  If ever a team has been disrespected over the years it's the Caps.

Online HalfSmokes

Who's going to do the Jason Kelce speech for the Caps?  If ever a team has been disrespected over the years it's the Caps.

I’d take ovie slurring something in Russian then throwing up

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Hung out at 12th and constitution with a few thousand friends.  Pretty cool to see the Caps break out some old timers and season ticket holders.  Biggest ovations for Holtby, Kuznetsov, Trotz, and of course the Cup Bus.

Nice practice run.  Work out a few kinks and then I want to see a smoother, better organized parade in late October or early November for the Nats.

Online Natsinpwc

I’d take ovie slurring something in Russian then throwing up
Da.

Online Natsinpwc

Hung out at 12th and constitution with a few thousand friends.  Pretty cool to see the Caps break out some old timers and season ticket holders.  Biggest ovations for Holtby, Kuznetsov, Trotz, and of course the Cup Bus.

Nice practice run.  Work out a few kinks and then I want to see a smoother, better organized parade in late October or early November for the Nats.
Yes.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Waited that long to give a speech and you freaked it up, Ted?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Tell me what city can match DC's backdrop for a sports parade and celebration?

I hate NYC, but Ticker tape parade in canyon of heroes might have it beat,

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Ovie's final statement: turn down the speakers if at work:

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1006603298634379264

Online Natsinpwc

Ovie's final statement: turn down the speakers if at work:

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1006603298634379264
Good stuff. 

Time to relax now and focus on baseball.  But still peering over at NHL Network occasionally to see if they are showing replays.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Caught the bus to Wiehle after I voted at 6 AM;   subwayed to Foggy Bottom;  down 23rd and over to the Vietnam Memorial;  told the fellas what was goin' on;   walked over to Lincoln and the Marine Barracks guys where practicin' their Tuesday night tattoo;  chatted with a young private  ...   so young damn;   looped by to the WWII Memorial and made it to the barrier between 18th and 17th by 9 AM  ....   front row.    Got some great pictures.   After everything passed that point, I wandered down toward 12th to watch one of the big screens.    On the way, I got a nice photo of Ovi holdin' up the Cup in front of the White House.     On the Mall, I ran into my neighbor from across the street (she's a Caps fan/he'a a Pens' fan).     Made my way down to 1st ST SE and caught the Silver line back out to Wiehle  ....  quick and lots of room.    Caught the Fairfax Connector to the neighborhood stop; walked home and here I am.    Splendid day.

I'll probably watch the parade rerun on NBCSports Washington at 6 PM.

Online Natsinpwc

Caught the bus to Wiehle after I voted at 6 AM;   subwayed to Foggy Bottom;  down 23rd and over to the Vietnam Memorial;  told the fellas what was goin' on;   walked over to Lincoln and the Marine Barracks guys where practicin' their Tuesday night tattoo;  chatted with a young private  ...   so young damn;   looped by to the WWII Memorial and made it to the barrier between 18th and 17th by 9 AM  ....   front row.    Got some great pictures.   After everything passed that point, I wandered down toward 12th to watch one of the big screens.    On the way, I got a nice photo of Ovi holdin' up the Cup in front of the White House.     On the Mall, I ran into my neighbor from across the street (she's a Caps fan/he'a a Pens' fan).     Made my way down to 1st ST SE and caught the Silver line back out to Wiehle  ....  quick and lots of room.    Caught the Fairfax Connector to the neighborhood stop; walked home and here I am.    Splendid day.

I'll probably watch the parade rerun on NBCSports Washington at 6 PM.
I'm jealous of you who were able to go--caught much of it on TV.  I liked what Oshie said about back to back Cups.  Not likely in the NHL but I still liked him saying it.

Offline mitlen

I'm jealous of you who were able to go--caught much of it on TV.  I liked what Oshie said about back to back Cups.  Not likely in the NHL but I still liked him saying it.

Did they guesstimate crowd size?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Stood in this same spot for about 6 hours...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Looking behind me...no telling where the crowd stopped...

Offline mitlen

(Image removed from quote.)

I was close to the end at 12th but I swear it went back to 14th.    Standin' in the "pit".    You're a better man than me.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh that must've just been awesome though!!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I was close to the end at 12th but I swear it went back to 14th.    Standin' in the "pit".    You're a better dumber and likely more sunburned man than me.

FIFY

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Would like to see overhead shots...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Oh that must've just been awesome though!!

I'd do it again...  :D

Offline mitlen

FIFY

:lol:

Found a nice shady spot on Constitution.   They were tossin' medallions from the buses and givin' away Parade Towels.    Got a couple of each and gave one to my aformentioned neighbor.    Told her to make the old man look at that Caps' give away.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
It may have been the most perfect June weather we've had in probably years.  Go figure  :clap:

Offline mitlen

It may have been the most perfect June weather we've had in probably years.  Go figure  :clap:

Hockey gods.

Offline wj73

:lol:

Found a nice shady spot on Constitution.   They were tossin' medallions from the buses and givin' away Parade Towels.    Got a couple of each and gave one to my aformentioned neighbor.    Told her to make the old man look at that Caps' give away.

Sounds like a perfect day.