Author Topic: Worst Offensive Performance - 2018 Edition  (Read 7188 times)

Offline rileyn

1) why sacrifice to move a guy from 2nd to 3rd when you have a guy who gets on base 40% of time?
2) When does Eaton typically try to mash? How sure are you that’s what he’s trying to do?
3) it was one run, the bats needed at least two today.
4) giving free outs and taking the bat out of the hands of your best hitters is not typically the way to win in he long run.

1.  It's small ball.  On a team like ours that is struggling to score runs, we need to treat them lovingly.  We need a lead and have something to show for Gio's hit.
2)  I'm sure because I can read his mind. 
3)  We didn't know at the time that we needed 2 runs today. 
4.  I disagree in this situation.

Not even close.

It's definitely up there. Minus Gio's double they had 4 singles today against a garbage pitching staff. the 1-6 spots went 2/20.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
1.  It's small ball.  On a team like ours that is struggling to score runs, we need to treat them lovingly.  We need a lead and have something to show for Gio's hit.
2)  I'm sure because I can read his mind.  Douche question.

Why is it a douche question? You’re the one asserting that Eaton is trying to hit a HR as is it were fact when that is counter to everything we know about how he plays.

And how many 1-0 games have the Nats won? When you get a lead off double in the third, you go for more than one run. Especially with the top of your order up.

Offline rileyn

Why is it a douche question? You’re the one asserting that Eaton is trying to hit a HR as is it were fact when that is counter to everything we know about how he plays.

And how many 1-0 games have the Nats won? When you get a lead off double in the third, you go for more than one run. Especially with the top of your order up.

Go back look at the at bat.  I don't know if anybody but Bryce tries to hit a home run, but he isn't taking anything out of his swing to make sure he at least advances the runner.

Offline Ray D

2)  I'm sure because I can read his mind. 

You can argue this either way and either way you're right.  But the bottom line for me is this: Had Eaton advanced Gio to third, you can be sure that he would nave been stranded there.  That's just the way things are going for this team.

Offline nats2playoffs

Offline Ray D

He's been hitting. Not going to diss his team mates.
Article just confirms how clueless Martinez is, and for that matter, Adams - I'm disappointed in him, saying stupid things like that. There's one comment that says it all: the team has absolutely no idea how to hit with two strikes. (Soto excepted.)

Online Natsinpwc

Article just confirms how clueless Martinez is, and for that matter, Adams - I'm disappointed in him, saying stupid things like that. There's one comment that says it all: the team has absolutely no idea how to hit with two strikes. (Soto excepted.)
They just choke.  Instead of choking up.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
[SunShineSquad]so they are half-way there![/SunShineSquad]

Offline Ray D

Well in any case they're spending too much time choking the chicken.

Offline mdnatsfan

Nats have been shutout 10 times this season--9 since June 1. I did a quick survey of their results. Love for someone else to check that.

Offline rileyn

Davey just said in the postgame presser, "We need to figure out a way to get runners over and get them in..."  No kidding????  Here is the thing, I figured out a way for you.......SAC BUNT.  Normally I don't like giving up an out, but with this team it has to be automatic when we have a runner on 2nd with no outs."  That way, being 1-12 with RISP, won't be a factor.  You can score without getting a hit.  Bunt, flyball out, run.  1st, 3rd, 4th, and 6th tonight we had a runner on 2nd with no outs, and each time we did not even get the runner to 3rd.

Even worse, the Mets clowned us tonight with their bullpen use.  Closer?  We don't need no stinking closer.  They just rolled Gsellman on through.  What the Mets did tonight would be the equivalent of us pitching Max for 5, Grace for 2 innings, and then Kelly to finish the 8th and 9th in a 2 run game.   Yeeesh.

Offline rileyn

I want to see somebody, anybody, make a productive out and then come back to the dugout and get mobbed by his teammates.  Heck, they could even do the hug routine for all I care.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
I swear that everytime I think this team has turned a corner and actually might start building some momentum they turn around a crap the bed.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I swear that everytime I think this team has turned a corner and actually might start building some momentum they turn around a crap the bed.

Story of the season. This team is unable to sustain any momentum and struggles to shake off tough losses

Offline UMDNats

Yup. We cannot build any kind of momentum because our entire team is unable to come together at the same time.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Excluding the shutouts, which technically are worse, this was a new low.  In terms of needing a win and a beatable opponent, wasting relatively effective pitching, this all made this psychologically the worst.  I don't care if Richards turns into the second coming of Roy Oswalt, the Nats needed to hit him and didn't.

Offline LoveAngelos

They don't have the mental acuity to keep the peddle to the metal

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
so far looking like another candidate.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
so far looking like another candidate.

Ayup

Online RobDibblesGhost

What the hell is going on with this team?

Offline tomwvr

They are done . The players look like they don’t give a hoot

4 hits and no runs in 12 innings the last 2 days against the great Trevor Richards and Jose Urena.