Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Telmito Agustin, OF  (Read 883 times)

Offline awbb

Follow the Prospects: Telmito Agustin, OF
« Topic Start: May 11, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=14760

Per Keith Law: hitting 180 points higher in Potomac this year versus last and Law took note. Says he thinks Agustin’s adjustments and power will stick and we may have found gold for a prospect who signed for practically nothing ($50,000) and who barely registers on anyone’s prospect lists for the organization.

Currently slashing .386/.411/.659 with 4 dongers in 25 games with the P-Nats.

http://natsgm.com/2018/01/12/the-natsgm-2018-washington-nationals-top-prospect-list-21-30/

Pre-season Scouting report from The Nats GM

Originally from the U.S. Virgin Islands, Agustin moved to the Dominican Republic and signed with Washington for $50,000 in October 2013.  The 21-year-old Agustin struggled mightily in his first experience at High-A this year, forcing a demotion mid-season back to Low-A where he rebounded with a .277/.308/.456 batting line over 80 games played.  Listed at 5-10 160lbs, Agustin is an athletic outfielder with plus speed, good barrel skills and some sneaky pop from such an undersized hitter.  He has a fringe-average and accurate arm, which allows him to profile well in both center and left field.  The lack of power limits his ceiling, but Agustin profiles as a future potential 5th outfielder.

Offline dcpatti

Re: Follow the Prospects: Telmito Agustin, OF
« Reply #1: May 11, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
I’ve seen him at both hagerstown and Potomac . He’s speedy and nimble. Seems to have filled out a bit since last year which should help a bit with power. The other night at Potomac I was noticing his hits were starting to be a lot harder, instead of bloopy singles and slap hits.

He either fractured or dislocated a finger the other day and will be out a couple weeks but he could be a player worth watching.

Offline awbb

« Reply #2: May 11, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »
Thanks Patti. Good to get a first hand perspective. Here’s hoping he ends up more than a 5th outfielder.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: May 11, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
Thanks Patti. Good to get a first hand perspective. Here’s hoping he ends up more than a 5th outfielder.

Given what we have in the outfield, I hope he becomes a trade piece.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #4: May 11, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
I've seen him too, and I second what Patti says about him filling out.  I don't think he's actually 5'10" (5'8" is more like it), but he's pretty strong.  His swing is less inside-out now and he's driving some balls to the gaps.  I thought he was the most impressive of the 3 OFs when I last saw Potomac this season (prior to Soto's pit stop there).

Also, I don't know who thinks his arm is "fringe-average."  From what I've seen, it's above average and more than enough for CF.  For example, I've seen him uncork throws from medium-deep left that are accurate and come in on the fly to home plate with some zip on them. 

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #5: June 19, 2018, 12:12:10 PM »
Agustin is at the Doubledays now-- anyone know if this is just a rehab stint of sorts (he dislocated a finger or something recently)? I know he got demoted to the Suns once last year but demoting him now seems weird.