Author Topic: John Feinstein appears to be a real jerk.  (Read 2157 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: John Feinstein appears to be a real jerk.
« Reply #50: April 24, 2018, 09:58:48 AM »
He probably let it go because the lore was great for him.

They have been friends for years and as far as I know they are today. I don't remember the story exactly but it had something to do about Kornheiser was checking into a hotel and there was a problem. I know in the book Feinstein quotes Kornheiser saying "do you know who I am". It never happened. Kornheiser was really pissed about it and mentioned more than once he was considering filing a lawsuit. He even talked to Feinstein on the air about it one time. I guess because they are friends he let it go.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #51: April 24, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »
They have been friends for years and as far as I know they are today. I don't remember the story exactly but it had something to do about Kornheiser was checking into a hotel and there was a problem. I know in the book Feinstein quotes Kornheiser saying "do you know who I am". It never happened. Kornheiser was really pissed about it and mentioned more than once he was considering filing a lawsuit. He even talked to Feinstein on the air about it one time. I guess because they are friends he let it go.
Tony probably said something much worse.
Birds of a feather.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #52: April 24, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
He likes to lampoon fans of many varieties. On NPR years ago, he came out against Nascar fans for their politics

Well I'm against Nascar fans for their inbreeding.

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #53: April 24, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
LOL. Not to mention their knuckle-dragging?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #54: April 24, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »

I'm against them for the shape of their racetracks.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #55: April 24, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
I'm against them for the shape of their racetracks.
They do have road courses ( Watkins Glen , Sonoma and now Charlotte ) and tri-ovals and do a lot of their testing at VIR.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #56: April 24, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
Not everyone

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.
« Reply #57: April 24, 2018, 05:50:45 PM »
His best book IMO is "Where no one knows your name"  a study of a handful of AAA (players, mangers, umpires) trying to ( make it, get back to or realizing they never will) make it to the show

I tried to read it.  It's terrible.  He's not a writer. 

Offline RichMinSC

« Reply #58: April 24, 2018, 11:21:32 PM »
I tried to read it.  It's terrible.  He's not a writer.
his bank account from writing probably has more weight than your opinion

Offline RichMinSC

« Reply #59: April 24, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
.  Love nascar fans live a mile from Myrtle Beach speedway and an hour from Darlington. Vrooooomm.  And love. NASCAR politics. Even more

Offline Ray D

« Reply #60: April 25, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
Used to be, when a driver crashed and killed himself, they announced that the immediate  family should report to the clubhouse.   They had to stop those announcements because everyone in the stands would show up.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #61: April 25, 2018, 09:28:51 AM »
Used to be, when a driver crashed and killed himself, they announced that the immediate  family should report to the clubhouse.   They had to stop those announcements because everyone in the stands would show up.
Not nice

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #62: April 25, 2018, 07:14:11 PM »
.  Love nascar fans live a mile from Myrtle Beach speedway and an hour from Darlington. Vrooooomm.  And love. NASCAR politics. Even more

The Southern 500 was one of the coolest parties I've been to. Bill Elliot overtook Earnhardt with just a couple of laps to go to win it and the place went nuts. That was over 20 years ago, before NASCAR went to the dogs by changing rules all the time and getting away from its Southern heritage. Never should have done away with the spring race at Darlington, closed Orange County, axed Rockingham, etc....It's all about the $ anymore

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #63: April 25, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
The Southern 500 was one of the coolest parties I've been to. Bill Elliot overtook Earnhardt with just a couple of laps to go to win it and the place went nuts. That was over 20 years ago, before NASCAR went to the dogs by changing rules all the time and getting away from its Southern heritage. Never should have done away with the spring race at Darlington, closed Orange County, axed Rockingham, etc....It's all about the $ anymore

One of the best "parties" I attended was at Rockingham.    Comin' in second was Dover.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #64: April 25, 2018, 07:19:08 PM »
One of the best "parties" I attended was at Rockingham.    Comin' in second was Dover.   

I don't know if you remember the Gillette Half-Way Challenge, but they called me and I knew that Earnhart led at the half-way mark at Rockingham. 

I won a 1992 Chevy Lumina.  Sold it back to the dealership and pocketed the after-tax cash.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #65: April 25, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
I don't know if you remember the Gillette Half-Way Challenge, but they called me and I knew that Earnhart led at the half-way mark at Rockingham. 

I won a 1992 Chevy Lumina.  Sold it back to the dealership and pocketed the after-tax cash.

Pretty cool

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #66: April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
Cool story.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #67: April 25, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »

Watch a few of the nastiest-ever fatal NASCAR crashes on youtube and you won't be joking lightly again, I assure you. But anyway, NASCAR has been consumed by greed and the good ol' boys have all been replaced by pretty boy drivers in Rayban sunglasses who fit the "corporate mold."