Author Topic: Best / Worst ballparks (breakout of Orioles Attendance)  (Read 3243 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Re: Orioles Attendance
« Reply #25: April 18, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
The problem with Safeco for me, which I do love as a ballpark, is that it doesn't have that "it" factor for uniqueness or beauty.  Aesthetically, it's like an A- or a B+.

I think JCA is right that Petco is among the best.  I'd put it third behind AT&T and PNC on pure looks.  It has some great views of downtown San Diego and call me a lover of kitsch but I've always been a sucker for that Western Metal Supply Co. building.  I think it's incorporated seamlessly, unlikely the brick buildings in Baltimore and Houston, which are nice but feel kinda forced/imposing.

The warehouse in Baltimore was one of the few things left from Camden Rail Yards.  It's one of the only interesting things about the place. Not the hotel so much.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #26: April 18, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »
The problem with Safeco for me, which I do love as a ballpark, is that it doesn't have that "it" factor for uniqueness or beauty.  Aesthetically, it's like an A- or a B+.

I think JCA is right that Petco is among the best.  I'd put it third behind AT&T and PNC on pure looks.  It has some great views of downtown San Diego and call me a lover of kitsch but I've always been a sucker for that Western Metal Supply Co. building.  I think it's incorporated seamlessly, unlikely the brick buildings in Baltimore and Houston, which are nice but feel kinda forced/imposing.

The open sides and retractable canopy umbrella are the "it" factor for me.  On a rainy day, the closed roof and open sides are a real treat, truly the best of both worlds. And I love the bat chandelier.  But I don't think it's possible to get a consensus on the Top 3 or even an un-ordered Top 5. We can, at least, all agree that there's a whole lot of parks that kick OPACY's butt.

Safeco looks nice. Next time I'm hungry for salmon not from a farm or a can, I might just take a jaunt out there.

If you can get a cheap(ish) ticket to their Diamond Club, it's the best Rich Dude Seats experience in all of MLB, including a real raw bar in the dining room  and actual booze for indoor bar service, all included in the ticket (you can carry your mixed drink outside, but at the seats you can only order beer/wine).  Just get there early as they don't turn the tables over very fast.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: April 18, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
We can, at least, all agree that there's a whole lot of parks that kick OPACY's butt.
I hate to say it, but include me out.  Of all the stadiums built since the mid-70s, I'd say the only one that is a good candidate for National Historical site designation is OPACY.  Most of these criticisms are like picking on Dom Perignon because it was served in a mug and not crystal.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: April 18, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
I hate to say it, but include me out.  Of all the stadiums built since the mid-70s, I'd say the only one that is a good candidate for National Historical site designation is OPACY.  Most of these criticisms are like picking on Dom Perignon because it was served in a mug and not crystal.

That doesn’t mean it’s a good place to watch a game. Plenty of historic buildings  are pretty mediocre at their intended purpose compared to more modern versions

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #29: April 18, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
PNC?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: April 18, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »

They must really be lowering standards to designate a faux, retro design that imitates real work done generations before.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #31: April 18, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
the worst ballpark in baseball is by far yankee stadium

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #32: April 18, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
They must really be lowering standards to designate a faux, retro design that imitates real work done generations before.

I thought it would be because of Boog's BBQ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: April 18, 2018, 01:48:41 PM »
I thought it would be because of Boog's BBQ...

And I'm pretty sure they cook that stuff up ahead of time and  just finish briefly on the grill, if even that.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #34: April 18, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
And I'm pretty sure they cook that stuff up ahead of time and  just finish briefly on the grill, if even that.

Still the best thing about that place...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #35: April 18, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
Still the best thing about that place...

The bacon wrapped hot dog with crab dip on top is soooooooo good.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #36: April 18, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
the worst ballpark in baseball is by far yankee stadium

Never been, but by all accounts, Oakland seems to be far and away the worst.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: April 18, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »
I have heard Oakland as Well. As well as Tropicana Field.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #38: April 18, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »
Oakland is a dump, but it has the rowdiest fans who somehow manage to be crazy and rowdy without being belligerent. The team seems to acknowledge that they are playing in a dump, though, and have done a really good job with the beer selection and pricing, as well as the food truck "plaza" (basically a gated-off parking lot where a small army of food trucks park for each game, so fans can walk out to the parking lot and get a burrito or whatever, then walk right back to the concourse), so at least if you're going to a crappy stadium, you'll get some really good beer and food for fairly reasonable prices.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #39: April 19, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »
I have heard Oakland as Well. As well as Tropicana Field.

Oakland: last remaining ground shared by MLB and NFL teams [remember back in the 60's when everyone seemed to think this was the wave of the future?]
Tampa Bay: MLB's last remaining hard (non-retractable) dome.

Anachronisms not work preserving.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: April 19, 2018, 08:09:51 AM »
Oakland: last remaining ground shared by MLB and NFL teams [remember back in the 60's when everyone seemed to think this was the wave of the future?]

Won't be shared with the NFL anymore. They're going to Vegas.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: April 19, 2018, 08:15:15 AM »

From a tax payer perspective, muni stadiums make sense. If owners weren’t being heavily subsidized (even when they build something themselves, they’re still getting land and tax breaks into the tens if not hundreds of millions), I think they’d still be popular

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #42: April 19, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »
Won't be shared with the NFL anymore. They're going to Vegas.

I know -  nice to see the 'multi-use' era drawing to a close.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #43: April 19, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »
From a tax payer perspective, muni stadiums make sense. If owners weren’t being heavily subsidized (even when they build something themselves, they’re still getting land and tax breaks into the tens if not hundreds of millions), I think they’d still be popular

The problem ultimately turned out to be that 'multi-use' stadium really meant 'football stadium, more or less adaptable to baseball' which meant artificial turf, inconvenient irregularities in the playing surface and many seats with poor sightline. It should have been theoretically possible to design a ground truly compatible for both baseball and football, but unfortunately the vogue for such stadiums occurred in the late 1960's and 1970's when the NFL was moving ahead of baseball in popularity, so the stadia were designed accordingly.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: April 19, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
The problem ultimately turned out to be that 'multi-use' stadium really meant 'football stadium, more or less adaptable to baseball' which meant artificial turf, inconvenient irregularities in the playing surface and many seats with poor sightline. It should have been theoretically possible to design a ground truly compatible for both baseball and football, but unfortunately the vogue for such stadiums occurred in the late 1960's and 1970's when the NFL was moving ahead of baseball in popularity, so the stadia were designed accordingly.

Candlestick always seemed awkward for football since they left the base paths dirt

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #45: April 19, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »
the concrete bowls - Riverfront, the Vet, 3 Rivers, even RFK and Fulton County - all stunk.  Then you had the older ones like Memorial, too. Alameda / As stadium is of that ilk.  Heck, the Astrodome, Metrodome, Kingdome and the Trop were basically that design with a fixed roof.  Part of what was bad was that they were indistinguishable.  I just named off 11 stadiums that all were blown up or are demolition bait.  It also made the outliers - Chavez Ravine, KC, and a few others from that era - really stand out.  I'll not judge Anaheim because it has been modified so much for the Raiders and then back. 

Of all those, RFK at least was a earlier and somewhat innovative, as was the Astrodome.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #46: April 19, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
Candlestick always seemed awkward for football since they left the base paths dirt

I think they did that with Joe Robbie, too.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #47: April 19, 2018, 01:07:04 PM »

:old:   Forbes Field, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley, Coliseum, Briggs/Tiger, Memorial, Polo Grounds, Cleveland Municipal, Oakland  ....

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #48: April 19, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »

And the playing surface itself wasn't all that hospitable to players either, especially those with histories of knee injuries...some locals used to refer to the surface as 'Candlestone'.

Offline Copecwby20

While it's hard for me to admit liking anything about the Braves, SunTrust is a really well thought out venue to watch a game at and the surrounding area is full of cool stuff to do.