Author Topic: Hell has frozen over, Riggleman is a big league manager again  (Read 1842 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Took over as the Reds interim manager. Nats fans said he'd never make it back.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

I'll bet he doesn't offer up any ultimatums to the Red GM. ;)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I'll bet he doesn't offer up any ultimatums to the Red GM. ;)

You could lose that bet. Riggleman takes no crap.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Nats fans are still right. The current Reds are not a big league team.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Interesting that it's Cincinnati since the Nats for much of their early history (the Bowden years) were effectively 'Reds East'.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I remember PANatsFan saying that the only thing Riggleman would ever manage again would be his DVR. :lmao:

Offline UMDNats

Maybe we can hire him this offseason :stir:

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

The Cincinnati Reds just named Jim Riggleman their "interim" manager after a 3-15 start to the season.

Offline Count Walewski

The Cincinnati Reds were a perennial playoff team earlier this decade, then fired their manager for failing to get out of the NLDS in consecutive years. I wonder what they think of that decision.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The Cincinnati Reds were a perennial playoff team earlier this decade, then fired their manager for failing to get out of the NLDS in consecutive years. I wonder what they think of that decision.

:lol:

:?

Offline HalfSmokes

Never should have fired the big intern

Offline Five Banners

Never should have fired the big intern

We have version 2.0 in the dugout

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I'm happy for Jim, he wasn't awful. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

He had Jason Marquis and Jayson Werth in open rebellion in the clubhouse and was receiving no show of support from upper management. Quitting was the wrong thing to do but he was put in a tough spot.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

Hmmm...sounds familiar.

Offline LoveAngelos

Ever since Jim quit and went off to a bar to solve the problems of the world; the world's problems  has become worse

Offline aspenbubba

Which again proves it is the players and not the managers.  Casey Stengel always said the difference between a good manager and a bad one was 10 games.

Offline spidernat

Which again proves it is the players and not the managers.  Casey Stengel always said the difference between a good manager and a bad one was 10 games.

For Stengel the difference was managing the yankees instead of having to manage teams like the mets, braves or dodgers. :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

The difference for him was the distance between the Bronx and Queens.

Offline spidernat

Almost the same can be said for Joe Torre (with a few more stops along the way). :lol:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Almost the same can be said for Joe Torre (with a few more stops along the way). :lol:

I remember when he was with the Braves. That wasn’t so pretty.

Offline Ray D

Oh I'd say 1966 was "pretty" for Joe.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

I remember when Torre managed the Mets. Ah, the late-70s Mets, after they decided to trade Rusty Staub, which angered Tom Seaver ("so who's going to hit?") so they traded Seaver to the Reds. You can look it up.

Offline van lingle mungo

I'd take Riggles back over our new guy. I barely remember any controversy or second guessing over anything he did, or any picking him apart like Acta, Williams, Martinez. I'm sure there was some of that at the time, only I don't remember it. Now he's in "interim" status again with the Reds - probably going to lose out to Larkin.

Offline Ray D

I'd take Riggles back over our new guy. I barely remember any controversy or second guessing over anything he did, or any picking him apart like Acta, Williams, Martinez. I'm sure there was some of that at the time,
Yeah there was plenty.  But I too would take him over the new guy.  (Sort of like, I long for the days of the George W Bush presidency given what we have now.)