Author Topic: Orioles Attendance  (Read 26058 times)

Offline Five Banners

Re: Orioles Attendance
« Reply #300: January 05, 2020, 08:37:20 PM »
And with Trumbo, Cashner, Villar and Bundy off the books, they might actually be profitable with that attendance.

I'd make a snarky remark about how much of Baltimore's attendance is made up of fans of the visiting teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, but the Nationals have that problem, albeit to a lesser degree, as well.

This market and its owner doesn't tie its viability to another media market like theirs does

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #301: January 06, 2020, 07:22:28 PM »
The Wizards' approach.

This market and its owner doesn't tie its viability to another media market like theirs does

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #302: January 09, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »
And with Trumbo, Cashner, Villar and Bundy off the books, they might actually be profitable with that attendance.

I'd make a snarky remark about how much of Baltimore's attendance is made up of fans of the visiting teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, but the Nationals have that problem, albeit to a lesser degree, as well.

Take a look at the fixture-by-fixture attendance from last season (https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/bal/season/2019/seasontype/2/half/1) - attendances of less than 20k for each of three May home matches against the Yankees? The Orioles' attendance is so dire nowadays that even the Yankees and Red Sox visits aren't the big draws they once were.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #303: January 09, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »
Take a look at the fixture-by-fixture attendance from last season (https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/bal/season/2019/seasontype/2/half/1) - attendances of less than 20k for each of three May home matches against the Yankees? The Orioles' attendance is so dire nowadays that even the Yankees and Red Sox visits aren't the big draws they once were.

Haven't been back (to watch the visitors) since the 2015 riots that spilled into the ballpark area, and I don't think I'm alone.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #304: January 10, 2020, 06:50:08 AM »
Haven't been back (to watch the visitors) since the 2015 riots that spilled into the ballpark area, and I don't think I'm alone.

You aren't - I've resided in this area continuously since 1977 and have never attended an Orioles home match (in fact I've never set foot in Baltimore, although I've passed through on trains many times).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305: January 10, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »
You aren't - I've resided in this area continuously since 1977 and have never attended an Orioles home match (in fact I've never set foot in Baltimore, although I've passed through on trains many times).

Well that’s a shame.  Baltimore isn’t nearly as bad as people here make it seem.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #306: January 10, 2020, 10:13:57 AM »
the tourist areas are cool. Just stay on the beaten path. :)

Well that’s a shame.  Baltimore isn’t nearly as bad as people here make it seem.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #307: January 11, 2020, 09:11:54 PM »

When I lived in Elkridge there were a few girls I messed around with that were Orioles fans so I'd humor them and go to games. My orthopedic surgeon's office is actually in the warehouse building so I'm at Camden quite often for follow ups.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #308: January 30, 2020, 11:01:19 PM »
Saw a commercial tonight that had a clip of Cal and so I decided to show my kids the video of when he broke Gehrig’s record. Seeing Camden like that was almost sad given where the Orioles are today.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #309: January 31, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »
Saw a commercial tonight that had a clip of Cal and so I decided to show my kids the video of when he broke Gehrig’s record. Seeing Camden like that was almost sad given where the Orioles are today.

Agreed. Angelos ran that franchise into the ground.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #310: January 31, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
Agreed. Angelos ran that franchise into the ground.

And he doesn't stick to his own team but tries to do the same with the Nats

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #311: January 31, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
And he doesn't stick to his own team but tries to do the same with the Nats

I wonder if you took Snyder DNA and Angelos DNA if they are closely related. Separated at Snyder's birth or something.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #312: January 31, 2020, 03:38:18 PM »
I wonder if you took Snyder DNA and Angelos DNA if they are closely related. Separated at Snyder's birth or something.

closely related to what?  The Wuhan coronavirus?  I heard it was from a snake or a bat, or both, so maybe.

Offline imref

« Reply #313: January 31, 2020, 06:25:07 PM »
Speaking of great moments in Os history: the first game at Camden is on MASN classics now.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #314: January 31, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
Speaking of great moments in Os history: the first game at Camden is on MASN classics now.

Back before Angelos was involved

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #315: February 07, 2020, 12:32:32 PM »
The Orioles back in the early 2010s were right there with us. Everyone said we could see a battle of the beltways for a WS. Baltimore v. Washington. There are a lot of DC area fans that still back the Orioles even though they have given them zero reason to. The days of Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken, Boog Powell and Brooks Robinson are long long gone. They havent won a WS since the 80s and havent even sniffed a WS in just as long.

Angelos is such a scumbag. I would not care at all if they relocated the team. Baltimore doesnt care about the Os anymore. Its only Ravens.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #316: February 07, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
The Orioles back in the early 2010s were right there with us. Everyone said we could see a battle of the beltways for a WS. Baltimore v. Washington. There are a lot of DC area fans that still back the Orioles even though they have given them zero reason to. The days of Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken, Boog Powell and Brooks Robinson are long long gone. They havent won a WS since the 80s and havent even sniffed a WS in just as long.

Angelos is such a scumbag. I would not care at all if they relocated the team. Baltimore doesnt care about the Os anymore. Its only Ravens.

He's the analog of Dan Snyder. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #317: February 09, 2020, 12:33:16 PM »
closely related to what? 

Homo habilis.  Four feet tall, confrontational, alleged to pick corpses to the bone using crude tools.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #318: February 10, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »
Homo habilis.  Four feet tall, confrontational, alleged to pick corpses to the bone using crude tools.

Homo habilis wasn't rich as freak, but otherwise the resemblance is remarkable.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #319: March 17, 2020, 09:40:23 PM »
the tourist areas are cool. Just stay on the beaten path. :)

Yeah, there’s a lot of Baltimore off the beaten path that’s cooler than the tourist areas, but I guess you’ll never know, right?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #320: March 17, 2020, 09:57:21 PM »
I heard the Orioles are expecting record low attendance this season :stir:

apologies if someone already made the joke :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #321: March 18, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
Nope. Probably not.
Yeah, there’s a lot of Baltimore off the beaten path that’s cooler than the tourist areas, but I guess you’ll never know, right?

Offline imref

« Reply #322: March 18, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »

attendance could actually improve, right?  There would be no issue social distancing at that park.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #323: March 18, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »
attendance could actually improve, right?  There would be no issue social distancing at that park.
can see the ad now on MASN - Come to Orioles Park, home of social distancing!

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #324: March 19, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »

The record to beat: 774,343 in 1963. (It wouldn't be that difficult to reach - the Marlins only drew 811,302 last season.)