Author Topic: Orioles Attendance  (Read 26062 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Orioles Attendance
« Reply #150: July 20, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »
Maybe architects didn’t realize fans would care about watching the game?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #151: July 20, 2018, 09:35:45 AM »

:spit:     That may not be as far fetched as it sounds.

OT  I have a buddy who's a structural engineer.    He spent years checking oil platforms out in the sea (various ones).    So we go to SLC to see our other buddy and decide to take in a Jazz game at the old Salt Palace.     We got tickets to see the Lakers  ...  :clap:     The engineer sat there the whole game and gave us a lecture about how the Salt Palace was constructed, how the roof stays up, load bearing beams, etc.    :smh:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #152: July 20, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »
Old time-y stadiums had seats facing in the wrong direction. It's part of the retro experience.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #153: July 20, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
Old time-y stadiums had seats facing in the wrong direction. It's part of the retro experience.

Some old time-y stadiums didn't have lights.    They changed the new designs.      ;)     

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #154: July 20, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
I'm sure they considered that at OPaCY too, but decided it would be too dangerous. Too many drunk fans tripping over the seats that face the wrong direction.

Some old time-y stadiums didn't have lights.    They changed the new designs.      ;)   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #155: July 20, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
I'm sure they considered that at OPaCY too, but decided it would be too dangerous. Too many drunk fans tripping over the seats that face the wrong direction.

It would be interesting to know what they were considering when designing the seat/fan sight lines.    Could it be as HS suggests?    It never crossed their minds.

"This is retro so it must be a good idea."

Online wj73

« Reply #156: July 21, 2018, 08:45:10 AM »
It would be interesting to know what they were considering when designing the seat/fan sight lines.    Could it be as HS suggests?    It never crossed their minds.

"This is retro so it must be a good idea."

I remember several years ago during spring training someone at OPCY got the bright idea to extend the brick wall behind home plate on both sides all the way out to the end of the outfield. The team got back and was horrified. They had to order an emergency install of padding so that players didn’t kill themselves going for balls along the wall.

But hey, it looked good, right?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #157: July 21, 2018, 09:14:31 PM »
It's kinda miraculous that Baltimore actually managed to make the playoffs a few times in the past several years.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #158: July 23, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
I saw earlier that this year the Orioles have the worst winning percentage of any baseball team at any level.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #159: July 23, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
I saw earlier that this year the Orioles have the worst winning percentage of any baseball team at any level.

Greinke has a higher offensive value than any of the Orioles position players.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #160: August 02, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
Baltimore was a bush-league town until the Hoffbergers stole the Browns, with more than a little help from MLB. The owners wanted to get rid of Bill Veeck...refused to let him move the Browns to Kansas City.

Maybe Camden Yards would make a good AAA stadium for the Nats.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #161: August 03, 2018, 07:41:44 AM »
Full MLB attendance chart: http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance - not just Baltimore but my my, how the AL in general has fallen - 9 of the bottom 12 MLB teams in attendance are in the AL (only NL teams in that dubious mix are Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Miami).

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #162: August 03, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
Full MLB attendance chart: http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance - not just Baltimore but my my, how the AL in general has fallen - 9 of the bottom 12 MLB teams in attendance are in the AL (only NL teams in that dubious mix are Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Miami).
Most of the races are over and they have three historically bad teams: KC, CWS and the BLOS.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #163: August 03, 2018, 08:11:38 AM »
Most of the races are over and they have three historically bad teams: KC, CWS and the BLOS.
you'd figure at this point there'd be a schadenfreude effect to draw people out, but maybe that is more on the road.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #164: August 03, 2018, 08:14:08 AM »
Apparently fair weather fans are the norm, Miami shy of 10k a game is hilarious though

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #165: August 03, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Marlins Park is basically a money-laundering operation full of refrigerated air and empty seats.   
Apparently fair weather fans are the norm, Miami shy of 10k a game is hilarious though

Online imref

« Reply #166: August 19, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
Orioles eliminated from postseason contention.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167: August 19, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »
Marlins Park is basically a money-laundering operation full of refrigerated air and empty seats.   

If I lived in Miami, watching that baseball team would be 100th on my list of things to do.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #168: August 19, 2018, 11:09:43 PM »
If I lived in Miami, watching that baseball team would be 100th on my list of things to do.

I've been to many Marlins games, and the locals just don't care. Many hate the stadium because it used public money, and the team hasn't been good since the early 2000s.

In the games I've gone, it's hilarious to see a nearly half-empty stadium filled with fans for the OPPOSING team.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #169: August 20, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »
I've been to many Marlins games, and the locals just don't care. Many hate the stadium because it used public money, and the team hasn't been good since the early 2000s.

In the games I've gone, it's hilarious to see a nearly half-empty stadium filled with fans for the OPPOSING team.

...this season averaging an MLB-worst 9.677/fixture, ballpark sold to 25.8% of capacity. That's as low as I've ever seen in recent years.

Online imref

« Reply #170: August 20, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
I’ve been to the stadium once.  It felt like watching a game at a mall

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #171: August 20, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »
...this season averaging an MLB-worst 9.677/fixture, ballpark sold to 25.8% of capacity. That's as low as I've ever seen in recent years.

The emptiness at Marlins Park isn't just happening this season. This was happening when I was in Miami three years ago. I'm not surprised if things there stayed the same or have gotten worse.

I'm sure when David Beckham gets the soccer team going, that'll be the most jam-packed stadium in South Florida.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #172: August 20, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Strange hearing talk about a real La Liga game in Miami...that Bayern/Man City game was pretty sparsely attended, even for a meaningless kick-around. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #173: August 20, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »
The emptiness at Marlins Park isn't just happening this season. This was happening when I was in Miami three years ago. I'm not surprised if things there stayed the same or have gotten worse.[...]

Can't say that I blame them, with the team in almost constant fire-sale mode...besides the two World Series champions that were demolished almost as soon as the confetti were cleaned up, there was this most recent offseason when they unloaded Stanton, Ozuna and Yelich (although admittedly Stanton's contract was a bit on the hefty side for such a poorly supported team). Watch our young prospects start to grow then watch them get bundled off to the Yankees, Brewers, Cardinals or some other contender...what sports fan wants to invest in that?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #174: August 23, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
The O's now sit 50½ games behind the Boston Red Sox in the American League East.  They could set a record:

Since division play began in 1969, only three teams have ever finished 50-plus games behind a first place team – the 1979 Toronto Blue Jays (50½ games behind the Orioles in the AL East), the 1998 Tampa Bay Devil Rays (51 games behind the New York Yankees in the AL East) and the 1998 Florida Marlins (52 games behind the Atlanta Braves in the NL East).