Author Topic: Orioles Attendance  (Read 26078 times)

Offline hotshot

Orioles Attendance
« Topic Start: April 10, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »
Drew 7,915 Monday nite vs Jays. What's up with that? How many season tix holders do they have?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Orioles Attendance
« Reply #1: April 10, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »
Drew 7,915 Monday nite vs Jays. What's up with that? How many season tix holders do they have?

Nats attendance has looked pretty awful too. 112K over four home games versus 88K.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2: April 10, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »
Nats attendance has looked pretty awful too. 112K over four home games versus 88K.

Temps in Baltimore were about 20 degrees warmer for their opening weekend than they were here this weekend.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: April 10, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
Temps in Baltimore were about 20 degrees warmer for their opening weekend than they were here this weekend.

Good point.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: April 10, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »
the White Sox would kill for Orioles' attendance numbers right now.  They had 970 at their last home game.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: April 10, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
Games in this weather seem like a season ticket holder tax. Not quite as blatant as preseason football

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: April 10, 2018, 10:05:29 PM »

That's probably pretty close to their base.  19k is probably pretty close to our base.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: April 10, 2018, 10:08:15 PM »
That's probably pretty close to their base.  19k is probably pretty close to our base.

Are sports tickets no longer tax deductible for businesses? If so that will cut into high end sales.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: April 10, 2018, 10:20:18 PM »
Are sports tickets no longer tax deductible for businesses? If so that will cut into high end sales.

I believe they have recently been 50% deductibile but that was cut to 0. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: April 10, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »
I believe they have recently been 50% deductibile but that was cut to 0. 

Nice! While I do like to take advantage of comp seats on occasion, on the whole I'd rather see the ballpark filled with fans who paid for their tickets and want to watch the games rather than people there to try out Shake Shack and root Teddy. This will hopefully keep ticket prices down if a bunch of companies drop their plans.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: April 10, 2018, 10:35:48 PM »
Nice! While I do like to take advantage of comp seats on occasion, on the whole I'd rather see the ballpark filled with fans who paid for their tickets and want to watch the games rather than people there to try out Shake Shack and root Teddy. This will hopefully keep ticket prices down if a bunch of companies drop their plans.

What about the suites?  I'd rather have them fully rented out because it provides revenue to the club that may trickle down to a reliever signing or more importantly, I might get a freebie ticket a couple of times a season.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: April 10, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
What about the suites?  I'd rather have them fully rented out because it provides revenue to the club that may trickle down to a reliever signing or more importantly, I might get a freebie ticket a couple of times a season.

Do the Nats get hit harder than the teams in NY, Chicago, and LA? If revenue drops for all teams it means less money for the owners and players and cheaper tickets for us. Although I agree that sitting in a suite and eating/drinking for free makes for a pleasant evening.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: April 10, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
Do the Nats get hit harder than the teams in NY, Chicago, and LA? If revenue drops for all teams it means less money for the owners and players and cheaper tickets for us. Although I agree that sitting in a suite and eating/drinking for free makes for a pleasant evening.

You cannot assume equal impact across baseball - look at the White Sox and Orioles attendance versus the Nats.  To the rich go the spoils, and I'd much rather have rich suite rental revenues than increasing club level seats yet again. 

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #13: April 10, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »
the White Sox would kill for Orioles' attendance numbers right now.  They had 970 at their last home game.

That figure was turnstile clicks though, and the other figures in this thread are tickets sold. Turnstile clicks are almost always  lower, sometimes by quite a lot.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #14: April 11, 2018, 02:38:24 AM »
That figure was turnstile clicks though, and the other figures in this thread are tickets sold. Turnstile clicks are almost always  lower, sometimes by quite a lot.

Yeah, the Orioles have almost certainly had something below 5000 before (not even counting the infamous Freddie Gray game).  I can't remember which game it was for the life of me, but I know some time from '07-'11, they had a dismal game for attendance.  It was Marlins-level bad.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: April 11, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »
I think I read last year that the Nats suites are a prime lobbying location.  Baseball is slow enough to talk and it is close to the seat of the government.  Even in the big state governments, very few teams are in the state capital (not NY, Cal, Ill, PA, FL, TX).  NY / LA tickets are more for business deals, Marlins for drug running.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #16: April 11, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »
For the record: Nats' lowest-ever home attendance is 10,999 on Monday 20th September 2010 vs Astros.

Meanwhile, that record-low Orioles attendance is kind of funny...but I thought Preparation H Park at Camden Yards was supposed to be so beautiful and such a natural draw for fans just on its own merits!

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: April 11, 2018, 09:27:30 AM »
For the record: Nats' lowest-ever home attendance is 10,999 on Monday 20th September 2010 vs Astros.

Meanwhile, that record-low Orioles attendance is kind of funny...but I thought Preparation H Park at Camden Yards was supposed to be so beautiful and such a natural draw for fans just on its own merits!
Was that way twenty years ago. Not so unique now. Even Baltimorons know its a bad product. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #18: April 11, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »
Was that way twenty years ago. Not so unique now. Even Baltimorons know its a bad product. 

True, but one wouldn't know it from the way national sportscasters keep gushing about the place.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #19: April 11, 2018, 09:44:07 AM »
True, but one wouldn't know it from the way national sportscasters keep gushing about the place.
It's hard to slobber on the Yanks and Red Sox all the time.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #20: April 11, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Thanks Obama

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #21: April 11, 2018, 02:12:47 PM »
I'm a White Sox fan and we're pretty notorious for not showing up, especially when the team is bad. Showing up to support our team no matter how bad they are is a value they might hold on the north side, but we don't hold it. This was especially true in the decade between the 1994 strike (when the White Sox were in first place and the Sox owner was leading the hardline owners in favor of the strike) and the 2005 World Series year, many fans proudly boycotted the team during at least part of that time. Right now the team is historically bad, and there's very cold April Chicago weather on top of that. The low attendance does not surprise me. Frankly, I'd rather go see a Winston-Salem Dash game than a Chicago White Sox game, so I could see the rebuild prospects who are getting all the hype and not the filler currently on the major league roster.

That said, I think MLB attendance is down across the board. I don't think you can blame the quality of particular teams or the weather in particular cities for the big trend. My long-term prediction for sports is that in person attendance will continue to decline as the cost of TVs goes down and the ease of online streaming goes up.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #22: April 11, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »
kids cheer free every night for the rest of the summer, and hot dogs are $1.50, and 12-ounce beers cost $4, and fans can bring in pretty much whatever food they’d like from the outside

Not a bad deal at all up there in Baltimore. Their Revenue Chief must have gone to a different school than ours.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #23: April 11, 2018, 10:50:29 PM »

:stir:

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #24: April 11, 2018, 11:00:18 PM »
Not a bad deal at all up there in Baltimore. Their Revenue Chief must have gone to a different school than ours.

Yeah, it’s called the School Of Alienating All The Fans Makes You Go Broke. They’re probably spending more on staff than they’re taking in at the gate on some days, and putting some free-admission kiddies in otherwise unoccupied seats at least gives them a chance to sell some concessions.