Author Topic: Yankees - Red Sox, London, June 2019  (Read 926 times)

Offline dcpatti

Yankees - Red Sox, London, June 2019
« Topic Start: March 19, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
Reported by Bloomberg but not confirmed by MLB. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-19/yankees-red-sox-said-close-to-deal-for-june-2019-london-series

If reports are true, the series would be held at London Stadium, which was built for the Olympics and is currently home to West Ham football club, so that’s pretty easily accessed by tube and DLR.

I’ll totally go!

Offline Count Walewski

Re: Yankees - Red Sox, London, June 2019
« Reply #1: March 19, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
Oh man, I hope they have dimensions like when the Dodgers played at the LA Coliseum.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: March 19, 2018, 07:21:08 PM »
Oh man, I hope they have dimensions like when the Dodgers played at the LA Coliseum.

What was left to the screen  ...   Wow, your comment brought back a lot of memories:

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/ballparks/los-angeles-coliseum/

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #3: March 20, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »
If reports are true, the series would be held at London Stadium, which was built for the Olympics and is currently home to West Ham football club, so that’s pretty easily accessed by tube and DLR.

Well it won't be used for EPL matches in 2019 then . . . .     :stir:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: March 20, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
Well it won't be used for EPL matches in 2019 then . . . .     :stir:
Championship League is good futbol.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: March 20, 2018, 08:25:27 AM »
Championship League is good futbol.

I know.  Hence the :stir:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: March 20, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
I know.  Hence the :stir:
Got ya--yea, they look buried in the standings.  Hoping Crystal Palace can hang in there.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #7: March 20, 2018, 09:19:43 AM »
Got ya--yea, they look buried in the standings.  Hoping Crystal Palace can hang in there.

What's insane is that they're literally two wins away from being mid-table and one loss away from the relegation zone.  And recent events really make it look like they could actually use a relegation to hit the reset button.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #8: May 08, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »
Presale lottery sign-up  https://www.mlb.com/london-series

Dates are set for June 29-30, 2019

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: May 08, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
these kinds of games seem to be a raw deal for the team's home stadium employees and businesses around the stadium as they lose game-related revenue that they would normally get if the game wasn't played out of market.  Does anyone know if there is some form of compensation?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #10: May 08, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »
Each team is only losing one home game. I believe there is some sort of compensation for the teams, but not sure if that trickles down to the gameday staff. I'm gonna guess probably not.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #11: May 08, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »
these kinds of games seem to be a raw deal for the team's home stadium employees and businesses around the stadium as they lose game-related revenue that they would normally get if the game wasn't played out of market.  Does anyone know if there is some form of compensation?

In a way it's understandable that a club like the Padres might consider playing some of their home fixtures in another country, since they don't draw well at home...but a series like Yankees-Bosox?? A series that is probably sold out before Opening Day? Doesn't make much sense...may as well take regular-season fixtures of Chelsea-Arsenal or Liverpool-Everton or the like and play them at the Dallas Cowboys' stadium.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: May 08, 2018, 12:16:18 PM »
In a way it's understandable that a club like the Padres might consider playing some of their home fixtures in another country, since they don't draw well at home...but a series like Yankees-Bosox?? A series that is probably sold out before Opening Day? Doesn't make much sense...may as well take regular-season fixtures of Chelsea-Arsenal or Liverpool-Everton or the like and play them at the Dallas Cowboys' stadium.
well, if you are going to showcase baseball in a country where it has limited exposure, you might as well take your showcase franchises that may have some following.  Next time through, if this works, you can mess with Detroit v. the Mets or something like that. Besides, John Henry owns Liverpool and I think the NYY has a relationship with Man U. While they aren't London teams, there may be some cross-marketing opportunities.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #13: May 08, 2018, 12:17:27 PM »
Each team is only losing one home game. I believe there is some sort of compensation for the teams, but not sure if that trickles down to the gameday staff. I'm gonna guess probably not.

Heard on national sports radio program just now that the Red Sox are losing both home games...   :shrug:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: May 08, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
Aren't New York City and Boston foreign enough?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: May 08, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
Heard on national sports radio program just now that the Red Sox are losing both home games...   :shrug:
Now I think you are Slateman.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #16: May 08, 2018, 12:39:05 PM »
Now I think you are Slateman.

I know...he needs to go back to the $400 blender avatar...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: May 08, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
I know...he needs to go back to the $400 blender avatar...
If you were really Slate you would never agree.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #18: May 08, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
Even with the Sox losing two home games, that's less than 4% of their home games. The earlier start date (pushing more games into cold crappy weather especially in the Northeast and Midwest) coupled with the greater number of  getaway-day games (meaning more weekday day games) probably hurt the nearby businesses and tipped employees more, and to some extent the hourly employees who might not be able to ditch their day jobs for a day game shift.

That said, if the Sox did a $5 general admission viewing party and showed the London games on their scoreboard, they could create a pretty fun party atmosphere. It wouldn't draw the same level of interest as a home game but could still give the fans a little fun, keep a skeleton crew working and give the neighboring businesses a little bump.

Manfred said they wanted the first series in London to be a big splash, pomp and circumstance, lots of fanfare.  They said there's a waiting list of teams wanting to take part in the 2020 games. I'd expect to see another east coast matchup or maybe a east and a central team, with the west coast teams getting the 2020 Asia game (I believe that's going to be Taiwan), and I think Dodgers-Padres will become an annual Mexico thing given the popularity of the Dodgers in Mexico and the proximity of the Padres.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #19: May 08, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
If you were really Slate you would never agree.

Sure I would...take that back...  ;)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: May 08, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »

That said, if the Sox did a $5 general admission viewing party and showed the London games on their scoreboard, they could create a pretty fun party atmosphere. It wouldn't draw the same level of interest as a home game but could still give the fans a little fun, keep a skeleton crew working and give the neighboring businesses a little bump.

What would the fans watch...some guy changing the score by hand every half inning?   :D

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: May 08, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »
Intersting. We'll see, I guess. When Cleveland and Minnesota went to Puerto Rico, both were the home team once. Not sure about LA and SD last weekend...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #22: May 08, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »

not a chance in hell