Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13521 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #500: September 29, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »
Youtube TV just has such a great UI and endless DVR and such ease watching anything is tough to beat. Tried Hulu a while ago and hated it.

They are the best but we couldn’t justify the price

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #501: September 29, 2021, 04:55:21 PM »
I'll probably wait it out for now, but you're right. The only complication that could drag it out IMO is the IATSE likely striking and shutting down production for what is likely a minimum of a few months. NBC could say whatever, we'll just keep buying our own stuff and wait everyone out. They have enough iconic shows that people will sub simply to re-watch the office/parks/modern family/etc. i imagine youtube tv is a minor part of their business and they don't feel a need to cave, so that is concerning.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #502: September 29, 2021, 05:09:33 PM »
YouTube tv is better, but Hulu has the better overall catalog. We’re fast approaching cable minus the equipment rental fees

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #503: September 29, 2021, 05:31:20 PM »
I did some poking around ATT and their ATT TV cost isn't really terrible for what you get. We're definitely paying more than cable for our collection of YTTV, HBO, Apple TV, peacock, netflix, disney+/espn+. i don't even watch any of the other apps, SMDH

netflix hasn't had something for me to watch since The Witcher and I'd cancel it ASAP but my wife wants to keep it since her parents/brother use our log-in.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #504: September 29, 2021, 08:52:26 PM »
Witcher season 2 looks good

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #505: September 29, 2021, 11:41:09 PM »
I did some poking around ATT and their ATT TV cost isn't really terrible for what you get. We're definitely paying more than cable for our collection of YTTV, HBO, Apple TV, peacock, netflix, disney+/espn+. i don't even watch any of the other apps, SMDH

netflix hasn't had something for me to watch since The Witcher and I'd cancel it ASAP but my wife wants to keep it since her parents/brother use our log-in.
It's hard to keep up with ATT.  Are you talking about a wired service or what is now called Directv Stream?   I've  had all the iterations leading up to Directv Stream and it is pretty solid.   Pricey, but the only streamer with MASN and NBC Sports washington, and PQ is a step above the other streamers.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #506: September 30, 2021, 07:35:21 AM »
Looks like NBC Sports Washington isn’t on Sling. Hulu + Live TV looks to be in the cards.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #507: September 30, 2021, 07:47:17 AM »
No MASN with Hulu and UMD is right about the UI not being as good as YouTube. We have it and it’s fine, but we do then bundle with Disney and ESPN+. Without that, I’d go back to YouTube

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #508: September 30, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »
It's hard to keep up with ATT.  Are you talking about a wired service or what is now called Directv Stream?   I've  had all the iterations leading up to Directv Stream and it is pretty solid.   Pricey, but the only streamer with MASN and NBC Sports washington, and PQ is a step above the other streamers.

i don't even know, man. so many names of bundles.  we have ATT fiber so whatever their digital TV is - i think directv stream is indeed it. we may be adding ATT wireless so maybe we can cut a deal

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #509: September 30, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »
Still a huge fan of Philo.  It stays cheap by not carrying any sports channels, but between what it does carry and the antenna we have everything we care about.  We pay less for 300mbps FIOS + Philo than YoutubeTV costs by itself.

Tried Hulu a while back and damn that thing is a turd.  Their app team must've been borrowed from the people who design Telco set-top boxes.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #510: October 01, 2021, 08:01:09 AM »
Apparently YouTube TV and NBC have agreed to a "short" extension to keep the channels from disappearing. Don't know how long "short" is.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #511: October 01, 2021, 09:29:31 AM »
Apparently YouTube TV and NBC have agreed to a "short" extension to keep the channels from disappearing. Don't know how long "short" is.

I'm sure they did it for the sincere love of their customers ;)

Offline dracnal

« Reply #512: October 01, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »
I'm sure they did it for the sincere love of their having customers ;)

I have to imagine losing NBC would cause a dent in their subscription base. People can get -really- into something like news or sports from one particular local affiliate or another.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #513: October 01, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »
Any network that has NFL games in season (and college to a lesser extent) knows they have the streaming service over a barrel. A la carte seems like it will never happen, so the people who don't care about sports can either subsidize those who do or move to a service that doesn't have networks or espn

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #514: October 01, 2021, 10:02:37 AM »
I have to imagine losing NBC would cause a dent in their subscription base. People can get -really- into something like news or sports from one particular local affiliate or another.

For me it's NBC Sports Washington that is the key. I haven't figured out some other way to watch Caps games, unless maybe you can subscribe to ESPN+ (the apparent successor to NHL Center Ice?) and then use location-spoofing to get access to the games. I don't much want to try that, though. It's a pain in the arse and I've discovered from using it in "other contexts" that it can be unreliable and require frequent reboots of one's streaming devices.

I can easily watch Channel 4 via an antenna, but it's the Caps games that are the #1 priority above all else in our house.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #515: October 02, 2021, 01:54:57 PM »
YouTube TV and NBC reached a deal after all. Just got an e-mail from YouTube.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #516: October 02, 2021, 02:14:22 PM »
YouTube TV and NBC reached a deal after all. Just got an e-mail from YouTube.

The only question is how much bills increase

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #517: October 02, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »
The only question is how much bills increase

Who know. Right now it’s not going up, but who knows in the future. Still far less than the $140 a month we used to pay for DirecTV, though.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #518: March 28, 2022, 08:35:40 AM »
Well the low rate I negotiated with Verizon 2 years ago when I last threatened to cut the cord has expired.

Have things gotten any better re: college football being on streaming services since I last looked into this?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #519: March 28, 2022, 08:39:49 AM »
Well the low rate I negotiated with Verizon 2 years ago when I last threatened to cut the cord has expired.

Have things gotten any better re: college football being on streaming services since I last looked into this?

If you bundle Hulu live and espn+ with Disney, it’s all there. The nats are the only thing I can’t watch

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #520: April 01, 2024, 02:47:05 PM »
For what it's worth, there's a 15% off first month/first week free offer on fubo today. In case anyone cord cutters want to watch a week for free.

It's $85 a month afterwards. (I will probably pay for it. It's basically the price of a game at the Park).

Just search "Nationals TV stream" and you'll see the offer.