Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13163 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #475: April 08, 2021, 01:11:30 PM »
Best Buy has them, sort of. But I'll probably order this from Amazon as delivery is much faster. Only has to be accessed by two TVs.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Yeah that looks like a solid choice. Should do what you need just fine and there's a decent chance it'll be faster, more stable, wifi compared to the FiOS router's broadcast.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #476: April 08, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »
Yeah that looks like a solid choice. Should do what you need just fine and there's a decent chance it'll be faster, more stable, wifi compared to the FiOS router's broadcast.

That depends. The FiOS G3100 is a fantastic router. the G1100 is garbage.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #477: April 08, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »
Cat-6 or bust :P

(joking for the purposes of this discussion ;))

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #478: April 08, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »

I agree 100% about the G1100 being garbage. We have one, but it's in bridge mode and a Linksys router does all the work. The G1100 constantly dropped the wifi. The reason we still have it is that our FIOS setup is the older coax setup and I don't want to go to the trouble, disruption, and expense of having someone come out here to run Ethernet cables through the walls when putting that router in bridge mode solves the problem. The Linksys one has been extremely reliable. (Don't recall the model number; I could look it up if anyone's interested, but since we've had it since late 2019, I doubt the same one is on the market anymore anyway.)

Offline imref

« Reply #479: April 08, 2021, 01:46:05 PM »
I’m in the same boat. When I got a 3100 I tried to use the g1100 as a coax extender and still had issues with it dropping Wi-Fi connections. I ended up spending the $200 on the newer extended that is compatible with the 3100 and haven’t had any issues.

I did have to run Ethernet from the ONT outside of the house to the 3100. The 3100 sits on the other side of the wall from the ont so it was a short run.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #480: April 08, 2021, 02:41:07 PM »

Yeah, they've started upping their game in the last couple of years, but a lot of folks (like my Dad) have FiOS from a looooooong time ago and a router that's got shaky support for N band, and not a single clue what AC is.

BTW- never used an Asus router so I can't really comment on them in that regard, but they had many years of solid, overclock friendly, motherboards.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #481: April 08, 2021, 02:51:00 PM »
I had the G11000 for years and it was always terrible- even when it was competitive based on specs. I'm at the point where frequency of patches is my main way to judge a router manufacture

Offline The Chief

« Reply #482: April 08, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »
Ditching Verizon's router and plugging one of my own choosing directly into the ONT was one of the best parts of cutting the cord.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #483: April 08, 2021, 03:49:58 PM »
I’m in the same boat. When I got a 3100 I tried to use the g1100 as a coax extender and still had issues with it dropping Wi-Fi connections. I ended up spending the $200 on the newer extended that is compatible with the 3100 and haven’t had any issues.

I did have to run Ethernet from the ONT outside of the house to the 3100. The 3100 sits on the other side of the wall from the ont so it was a short run.

My issue with doing that is that I have the router upstairs (three storeys up) in my home office and I want to keep it here because I use a wired connection for my work PC.

Offline imref

« Reply #484: April 08, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »
My issue with doing that is that I have the router upstairs (three storeys up) in my home office and I want to keep it here because I use a wired connection for my work PC.

Do you not have Ethernet then from the ONT to the G3100? I had to run Ethernet to get Gigabit service, I believe Ethernet is required for anything above 200MB.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #485: April 08, 2021, 04:27:43 PM »
Do you not have Ethernet then from the ONT to the G3100? I had to run Ethernet to get Gigabit service, I believe Ethernet is required for anything above 200MB.

We don't have a G3100. We have a G1100 that I put in bridge mode because it was so unreliable.

Offline imref

« Reply #486: April 08, 2021, 04:52:39 PM »
We don't have a G3100. We have a G1100 that I put in bridge mode because it was so unreliable.

ah ok. I wasn't clear on that.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #487: April 19, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
I signed up for a seven day trial of MLB on April 11.  Went into my account and cancelled it Friday.  Still worked yesterday and I just checked the Boston game and I have access so far today.  Checked the credit card they have and no charge for it.  Wonder when they will catch up with me?

Offline GNatsNoMore

Cutting the Cord Feedback/Suggestions
« Reply #488: September 04, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
I was one of the last old geezers in MD to buy a smart phone. 

Now I'm ready to join the New Millennium and say good riddance to my "triple play" Verizon package.  Anyway, I've done a little research and I'm thinking of combining an Xfinity 200 mbps package for $29.99 a month (plus optional $14.00 modem) and adding YouTube TV for $65.00 monthly.  I was pleased to see that the latter includes MLB Network.

Does anyone have Xfinity Internet?  Is it reliable?  Does lose connection or slow down much compared to Verizon?  Also, for anyone who has YouTube TV: Is it as good as it sounds?

Thanks so much for any feedback you may have.   

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Cutting the Cord Feedback/Suggestions
« Reply #489: September 04, 2021, 01:49:41 PM »

Now I'm ready to join the New Millennium and say good riddance to my "triple play" Verizon package.  Anyway, I've done a little research and I'm thinking of combining an Xfinity 200 mbps package for $29.99 a month (plus optional $14.00 modem) and adding YouTube TV for $65.00 monthly.  I was pleased to see that the latter includes MLB Network.

Does anyone have Xfinity Internet?  Is it reliable?  Does lose connection or slow down much compared to Verizon?  Also, for anyone who has YouTube TV: Is it as good as it sounds?

We have had xfinity interest (and cable TV) for a long time.  It usually works well but just had a problem the other day.  Technician came next day and son said it's working fine.  We have Blast now.  Assume $29.99 is for the lower end.  Might depend on your house and how big it is.  I assume that is for new customers and will go up after a year?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #490: September 04, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »

Xfinity internet is fine. I think FIOS *might* be better (we moved from Xfinity to FIOS).

YouTube TV is excellent. But pricier all the time.

FYI: there's a whole cord cutting thread in the Red Loft.

Offline imref

« Reply #491: September 04, 2021, 02:41:56 PM »
FWIW, I saw that Verizon now gives me Sling for free.  I'm currently paying about $190 a month for gig Internet, unlimited phone, and the middle TV tier with two STBs.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #492: September 29, 2021, 03:31:22 PM »
YouTube TV and NBC are in a rights-fees dispute that could result in all NBC channels being dropped from YouTube TV this Friday. From my point of view, the biggest problem there is the loss of NBC Sports Washington, which carries Caps games (69 regular-season games this upcoming season). The channel is not available via Peacock as far as I can tell; it looks like the options are Hulu + Live TV or perhaps Sling. YouTube TV says you can "pause" your account, during which period you can't watch the service* but you won't get billed and your DVR recordings won't be purged.** I think I might do that and sign up for either Hulu or Sling, whichever is cheaper, until Google gets things resolved. I just got an e-mail from Sling about a $10-a-month offer, so I'll have to look into that.

Some things never change from provider to provider, huh?

*You can continue to watch until the end of the current billing period for which you've already paid.
**DVR recordings are still subject to a time limit of nine months; any that hit that time limit while your account is paused will get purged.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #493: September 29, 2021, 03:42:14 PM »
Maybe it's a DC thing but we have a lot of service outages with Xfinity. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #494: September 29, 2021, 03:47:51 PM »
YouTube TV and NBC are in a rights-fees dispute that could result in all NBC channels being dropped from YouTube TV this Friday. From my point of view, the biggest problem there is the loss of NBC Sports Washington, which carries Caps games (69 regular-season games this upcoming season). The channel is not available via Peacock as far as I can tell; it looks like the options are Hulu + Live TV or perhaps Sling. YouTube TV says you can "pause" your account, during which period you can't watch the service* but you won't get billed and your DVR recordings won't be purged.** I think I might do that and sign up for either Hulu or Sling, whichever is cheaper, until Google gets things resolved. I just got an e-mail from Sling about a $10-a-month offer, so I'll have to look into that.

Some things never change from provider to provider, huh?

*You can continue to watch until the end of the current billing period for which you've already paid.
**DVR recordings are still subject to a time limit of nine months; any that hit that time limit while your account is paused will get purged.

Yeah, struggling with this right now. I don't live local to DC but losing NBC channels is a dagger for YoutubeTV. Cutting the cost by $10 a month while they argue is fine but long-term not interested in paying $55 a month for a service that doesn't have one of the giants of TV. We do pay for peacock and espn+ so we should be fine but still annoying.

i do have ATT fiber and am considering a move to ATT wireless and wondering if i can score a sweet deal.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #495: September 29, 2021, 03:52:05 PM »
https://store.antennasdirect.com/ClearStream-2MAX-Indoor-Outdoor-TV-Antenna.html

Hate to be that guy but the "service cost" of this gets lower every month.  Yeah I don't get MASN.  Not missing much these days.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #496: September 29, 2021, 04:09:03 PM »
https://store.antennasdirect.com/ClearStream-2MAX-Indoor-Outdoor-TV-Antenna.html

Hate to be that guy but the "service cost" of this gets lower every month.  Yeah I don't get MASN.  Not missing much these days.

We have multiple indoor antennas, but they don't help with a bunch of the stuff we regularly watch. The big one for us is the Caps. MASN is a hassle.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #497: September 29, 2021, 04:14:07 PM »
Yeah, struggling with this right now. I don't live local to DC but losing NBC channels is a dagger for YoutubeTV. Cutting the cost by $10 a month while they argue is fine but long-term not interested in paying $55 a month for a service that doesn't have one of the giants of TV. We do pay for peacock and espn+ so we should be fine but still annoying.

i do have ATT fiber and am considering a move to ATT wireless and wondering if i can score a sweet deal.

we switched to Hulu when YouTube tv raised its prices last year. I like it, the downside is no MASN 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #498: September 29, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »
Youtube TV just has such a great UI and endless DVR and such ease watching anything is tough to beat. Tried Hulu a while ago and hated it.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #499: September 29, 2021, 04:53:18 PM »
I have to confirm that Sling has NBC Sports Washington; if they do, we may at least do Sling for the first month because of the cheap deal they offered. I find it hard to imagine that this dispute will drag on for half a year like the DirecTV against Versus dispute did a few years back, so the idea of grabbing a cheap alternative in the short term seems logical.