Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13403 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #425: April 01, 2021, 12:32:29 PM »
Fios usually speed tests higher than advertised.  I think I read once they added a buffer to account for their tv box using data. 

i have gigabit FiOS service. Via Wi-Fi i'm getting around 400-500 up/down. If I directly connect to the router i'll get 700-800

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #426: April 01, 2021, 12:59:07 PM »
i have gigabit FiOS service. Via Wi-Fi i'm getting around 400-500 up/down. If I directly connect to the router i'll get 700-800
I was referring more to the lower tiers.  That's about what I get with Gig too.  I think it's hard to get the speed test server/the hops in between/router/pc all to a gig without something being the bottleneck.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #427: April 01, 2021, 03:55:30 PM »
For testing the speed, I highly recommend testmy.net instead of speedtest or ookla. It's not affiliated with any of the ISPs and has been pretty solid in my experience. just change the test server to whatever is closest to you (NY, the DC area, for example).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #428: April 01, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »
For testing the speed, I highly recommend testmy.net instead of speedtest or ookla. It's not affiliated with any of the ISPs and has been pretty solid in my experience. just change the test server to whatever is closest to you (NY, the DC area, for example).

47.3 Up / 109.8 down.  Not great, but I'm a floor above my Wi-Fi router.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #429: April 01, 2021, 04:23:20 PM »
47.3 Up / 109.8 down.  Not great, but I'm a floor above my Wi-Fi router.

19.4 up / 14.9 down   :hang:  I have 100/100 with ATT DSL.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #430: April 01, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »

I seriously doubt you've ever get significantly better than those numbers with DSL, unfortunately. It's got problems both with number of other people using DSL in the same chain, and with distance from the Point of Presence. If you're far enough away it works, but not well. At all. It would quite possibly be cheaper to look for a 50/50 plan from a cable provider - it would likely be cheaper, and still be faster.

And if that's not an option in your area, I guess take comfort from the fact that you've got kick ass speed for the year 2002. You can just tell people you're retro.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #431: April 01, 2021, 04:36:44 PM »
We always knew you were slow.   :hysterical:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #432: April 01, 2021, 04:45:07 PM »
And if that's not an option in your area, I guess take comfort from the fact that you've got kick ass speed for the year 2002. You can just tell people you're retro.

That might be how old this laptop is.  :mg:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #433: April 01, 2021, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #434: April 01, 2021, 05:19:36 PM »
No dice on MLB.TV. Tried that VPN location spoofing and it tells you "turn that off if you want to see a game."  Then when you turn it off... Nats games are blacked out.

Oh well. Charlie and Dave it is.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #435: April 01, 2021, 07:07:36 PM »

I got the same result from speedtest and fast.com, but more importantly I observed a consistent ~300mbps speed over a 60GB Steam (game) download.  Not going to count on it lasting but if it does, swell.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #436: April 01, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »
I got the same result from speedtest and fast.com, but more importantly I observed a consistent ~300mbps speed over a 60GB Steam (game) download.  Not going to count on it lasting but if it does, swell.

That's the real test. Sounds like you are legitimately getting more than paid for now, which is always a good thing. Depending on how many customers they have in your area, they may keep you boosted for the word of mouth.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #437: April 01, 2021, 07:35:32 PM »
No dice on MLB.TV. Tried that VPN location spoofing and it tells you "turn that off if you want to see a game."  Then when you turn it off... Nats games are blacked out.

How did you test that out?  I figured I would need to wait until a blacked-out Nats game was actually broadcasting before I could test out different VPN options.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #438: April 01, 2021, 08:00:59 PM »

These are my Speedtest results from just now...no idea what it means:

Download   Upload   ConnType   ServerName
887.7242   17.95756   Ethernet   Richmond  VA

Fast.com had my Download at 540...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #439: April 01, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »
I actually get very close the the 1000 mb/s Verizon promises me. And before you ask whether I need it. I dont.  My wife’s job pays for us to have it because she needs guaranteed bandwidth. It’s overkill. But it’s nice to download 3 movies in a minute.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #440: April 01, 2021, 08:38:32 PM »

unlocator has worked for me in the past.  They're not a vpn, just a dns magic thing for spoofing location.  Not sure if they've been figured out yet or not.   What device were you using?

at&t tv makes the most sense now I'd think if you are already paying for something like Youtube tv.  Or split amongst 2-3 Nats fans, it would be pretty cheap.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #441: April 03, 2021, 09:56:45 PM »
unlocator has worked for me in the past.  They're not a vpn, just a dns magic thing for spoofing location.  Not sure if they've been figured out yet or not.   What device were you using?

at&t tv makes the most sense now I'd think if you are already paying for something like Youtube tv.  Or split amongst 2-3 Nats fans, it would be pretty cheap.

I'll check our unlocator.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #442: April 03, 2021, 09:59:16 PM »
How did you test that out?  I figured I would need to wait until a blacked-out Nats game was actually broadcasting before I could test out different VPN options.

Os. But the message to turn off my VPN software was on every game I selected.

Edit: Now it appears to be working. I dunno. I'll try the Os game tomorrow.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #443: April 03, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »
Os. But the message to turn off my VPN software was on every game I selected.

Edit: Now it appears to be working. I dunno. I'll try the Os game tomorrow.
You may want to just visit the dark side.

Offline machpost

« Reply #444: April 04, 2021, 08:44:24 AM »
I've also been hearing about issues with Unlocator this year, but I tested Smart DNS on my Apple TV on Friday during the O's game and it worked fine. Fingers crossed.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #445: April 04, 2021, 09:36:57 AM »
You may want to just visit the dark side.

I'll do what I need to do to test this out. I'm making this sacrifice for all of you.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #446: April 04, 2021, 09:40:36 AM »
What I've noticed is you have to start Windscribe in Chrome, close the Chrome window, Start Chrome again (Windscribe continues to run), and then open the app.

I'm using Chrome on a Chromebook.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #447: April 04, 2021, 05:09:29 PM »
I haven't tried Unlocator yet, but I tried SmartDNSProxy today and was able to bring up the MASN feed of the Orioles game on MLB.TV.  I configured my router to use DNS IP locations in a different country and then set "Channel Group D" in the SmartDNSProxy settings to Germany.  After doing that I could watch MASN on MLB.TV both from my browser and from Roku (I didn't try FireTV).  Hope this helps anyone who is looking for a solution.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #448: April 04, 2021, 05:18:32 PM »
Would you have to reset it for day to day work-from-home activities? I imagine I might; I'm not permitted to travel overseas with my work laptop. I guess one could use a DSN IP in Missouri or something.

I haven't tried Unlocator yet, but I tried SmartDNSProxy today and was able to bring up the MASN feed of the Orioles game on MLB.TV.  I configured my router to use DNS IP locations in a different country and then set "Channel Group D" in the SmartDNSProxy settings to Germany.  After doing that I could watch MASN on MLB.TV both from my browser and from Roku (I didn't try FireTV).  Hope this helps anyone who is looking for a solution.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #449: April 04, 2021, 05:39:16 PM »
Would you have to reset it for day to day work-from-home activities? I imagine I might; I'm not permitted to travel overseas with my work laptop. I guess one could use a DSN IP in Missouri or something.

I could be wrong, but my understanding of SmartDNS products like this are that they only mask your location for certain sites (like Netflix and MLB.TV).  Everything else will still see your normal location and IP address. 

There are three reasons why I'm considering a SmartDNS product rather than a VPN.  First, my speed should be faster since it's not encrypting all my data.  Second, SmartDNS products are cheaper than VPNs.  And third, I don't need to mask my location for everything - just MLB.TV.