Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13154 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #400: March 24, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
The only way anyone's getting internet + cable for 100 bucks or less these days is on a new customer deal, so unless you like changing providers every two years that comparison point needs to be a lot higher.  When our FiOS agreement was due to expire the best deal they could offer us for our existing service was $180/mo.  We're now at $85/mo (65+20) for internet our one streaming service.  Add Amazon Prime if you want to be a stickler, but we'd be using that anyway, and we're still under $100/mo even if you count it.  Even if you toss in the cost of a nice antenna and 2 Roku sticks, we were even and saving money after 2 months and have been saving ever $80-$100/mo ever since (depending on whether you count Amazon).

It's no contest for us, but people's needs vary.
Son is using our house in VA.  We had a basic TV and lower end internet that was a little over $100 after the fees.  But upgraded about a year ago to better tv and internet that is about $160 per month. However I believe just that level internet off their al a carte menu was over $100.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #401: March 24, 2021, 04:43:05 PM »
My point exactly!

:roll: I know exactly what I'm paying for streaming services. I've added zero of them since discontinuing cable. I'm saving $150/month.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #402: March 24, 2021, 06:04:54 PM »
:roll: I know exactly what I'm paying for streaming services. I've added zero of them since discontinuing cable. I'm saving $150/month.

Did you change your internet provider.  That seems the biggest issue to me in PWC with Comcast.  The internet by itself is not much different that internet/cable/phone packages on special. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #403: March 24, 2021, 06:31:29 PM »
Did you change your internet provider.  That seems the biggest issue to me in PWC with Comcast.  The internet by itself is not much different that internet/cable/phone packages on special. 

Even if the base price is similar not paying box rentals is a big saver

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #404: March 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM »
Even if the base price is similar not paying box rentals is a big saver
And those broadcast and sports fees. 

In Orlando only one internet option and it was $75.  TV and internet was $125.  So maybe $70 saved a month (considering box and broadcast fees) by not getting cable TV.  Of course with my Xfinity subscription in PWC I am able to watch NBC Sports and ESPN and a few other channels I like using their away from home options. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #405: March 24, 2021, 06:43:24 PM »

Yep. Switched to Fios. A little less than $100 for internet and home phone. We need the home phone for the M-I-L, who has trouble hearing. Plus two of us are home officing so we got the faster service.

Most of the things on this list are things I already had before dropping Comcast.

locast.org for locals (looking at switching to an antenna): $5.50
YouTube Premium (the preponderance of my viewing): $10
Acorn TV (because MrsGburgNatsFan loves British TV): $6
Netflix (which I split with the kids, but when Netflix put a halt to that, I'll drop it): $18

I catch a few Caps and Wizards games by piggybacking on one of my kid's YouTubeTV subscriptions.

That's.... $39.50?

That's way more TV than I can watch. I could drop it all except YouTube Premium and be just fine.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #406: March 24, 2021, 06:45:39 PM »
Yep. Fios. A little less than $100 for internet and home phone. We need the home for the M-I-L, who has trouble hearing.
Got ya. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #407: March 24, 2021, 07:21:01 PM »

Bingo!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #408: March 24, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
Got ya.

Comcast has figured it out.  Starlink is supposed to be $99 a month when it's available.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #409: March 24, 2021, 08:11:39 PM »
I added Windscribe to my Chromebook and spoofed my location. Went to several websites and it thinks I'm in Seattle Washington. Interesting.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #410: March 24, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
I added Windscribe to my Chromebook and spoofed my location. Went to several websites and it thinks I'm in Seattle Washington. Interesting.
You in ANTIFA?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #411: March 24, 2021, 08:33:51 PM »
You in ANTIFA?

Not as far as you know.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #412: March 25, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »
were I to do this, I'd want from my current Fios package both Military History and American Heroes (my leisure viewing), AXS, MSNBC ( :couch: ) , MASN, NESN if I could get it, both NBCSN for Washington and Boston, weather channel, ESPNs, MLB Network, and local.  Maybe TBS / TNT for Marvel stuff.  Really, I don't have the patience for most series, and as far as what I missed on netflix, etc... what I don't know about, I don't care. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #413: March 25, 2021, 02:56:28 PM »
were I to do this, I'd want from my current Fios package both Military History and American Heroes (my leisure viewing), AXS, MSNBC ( :couch: ) , MASN, NESN if I could get it, both NBCSN for Washington and Boston, weather channel, ESPNs, MLB Network, and local.  Maybe TBS / TNT for Marvel stuff.  Really, I don't have the patience for most series, and as far as what I missed on netflix, etc... what I don't know about, I don't care. 

AT&T TV $85 package is the only option for MASN.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #414: March 25, 2021, 03:35:20 PM »
AT&T TV $85 package is the only option for MASN.
to do that, I need a satellite to get AT&T, or get some other internet service provider, and would still need a cell phone package?  there's probably a savings here if I worked at it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #415: March 25, 2021, 03:39:05 PM »
Must be a cable thing, FiOS internet only 100/100 for us is 65/mo and has been for years (and for my parents several hours away for many years prior to that, though they've recently claimed they somehow got on a deal that made it even cheaper - I was not able to reproduce said deal with FiOS reps).

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #416: March 25, 2021, 03:40:34 PM »
to do that, I need a satellite to get AT&T, or get some other internet service provider, and would still need a cell phone package?  there's probably a savings here if I worked at it.

That AT&T package is no contract streaming.  No box fees/sports fees/etc, and free hbo for a year, just use a roku/firestick or Apple tv to watch on tv.   You can get standalone FIOS internet for $40 for 200 mbps or $60 for 400.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #417: March 25, 2021, 03:47:06 PM »
That AT&T package is no contract streaming.  No box fees/sports fees/etc, and free hbo for a year, just use a roku/firestick or Apple tv to watch on tv.   You can get standalone FIOS internet for $40 for 200 mbps or $60 for 400.

Is ATT available in the DC area?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #418: March 25, 2021, 05:54:31 PM »
Must be a cable thing, FiOS internet only 100/100 for us is 65/mo and has been for years (and for my parents several hours away for many years prior to that, though they've recently claimed they somehow got on a deal that made it even cheaper - I was not able to reproduce said deal with FiOS reps).

I think that's what I'm paying. I mean, not by the time I'm done what with the modem/router rental, home phone, and taxes.

It actually seems like a reasonable deal.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #419: March 25, 2021, 08:10:03 PM »
You need to go online and change it to a FIOS mix and match plan.

40 for 200/200, 60 for 400/400, 80 for 1gb/1gb regardless of whether you have tv or not, and it's not a promo rate or new customer rate, and they'll let you break contracts to switch if you're in one.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #420: March 25, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
Is ATT available in the DC area?

Yeah, it's a streaming service available nationally and the only one with MASN.

https://www.att.com/tv/

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #421: March 25, 2021, 08:25:19 PM »
Yeah, it's a streaming service available nationally and the only one with MASN.

https://www.att.com/tv/

I have their DSL service down here with TV and internet. It’s actually pretty good. And we get MASN. The introductory rate for both is $100 a month for the first year. I’ll find out in a few months what it jumps up to.  :lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #422: March 30, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
You need to go online and change it to a FIOS mix and match plan.

40 for 200/200, 60 for 400/400, 80 for 1gb/1gb regardless of whether you have tv or not, and it's not a promo rate or new customer rate, and they'll let you break contracts to switch if you're in one.

Thanks for this.  For the life of me I'd have never found this option on my own.  I'm always skeptical of being tricked into something but the checkout process seemed pretty straightforward... fingers crossed.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #423: April 01, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Somehow I'm getting 300mbps instead of 200...  are they adding my 2 plans together until the next billing cycle? :lol:

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #424: April 01, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »
Fios usually speed tests higher than advertised.  I think I read once they added a buffer to account for their tv box using data.