Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13375 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #375: March 23, 2021, 11:50:16 AM »
With all the bifurcation of the streaming services, it's gonna drive people back to something like cable eventually...
I bet most people don’t even know what they are paying after a while. Hard to keep track of everything.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #376: March 23, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »
I bet most people don’t even know what they are paying after a while. Hard to keep track of everything.

We’re probably up to the cost of cable, but the streaming service offer more and better organized content. I think it’s past just being a price based decision

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #377: March 23, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
With all the bifurcation of the streaming services, it's gonna drive people back to something like cable eventually...

I've made similar comments recently but it's not that bad *yet*.  I am getting awfully tired of hearing about Discovery+ but unless/until they gate shows I'm already watching behind these new "plus" tier services it's not going to change anything for me.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #378: March 23, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »
we do the disney/espn/hulu live bundle and get every sport except baseball (thanks MASN). It's pricey, but also has more than cable built into it

are you getting Caps and Wizards games?

Offline imref

« Reply #379: March 23, 2021, 12:16:39 PM »
I've made similar comments recently but it's not that bad *yet*.  I am getting awfully tired of hearing about Discovery+ but unless/until they gate shows I'm already watching behind these new "plus" tier services it's not going to change anything for me.

I'm paying for Netflix and Disney+, and we get Amazon Prime with our Prime membership. It does get expensive.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #380: March 23, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »
are you getting Caps and Wizards games?

Yes, only MASN is unavailable for the local teams

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #381: March 23, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »
I'm paying for Netflix and Disney+, and we get Amazon Prime with our Prime membership. It does get expensive.

Our big expense is the Disney/Hulu/espn bundle. Netflix is covered by Verizon for now, prime we would already have, and we donate $5 a month to weta to get PBS passport. I think we’re less than cable for now, but everyone can watch what they want when they want

Offline imref

« Reply #382: March 23, 2021, 12:29:36 PM »
Yes, only MASN is unavailable for the local teams

It looks like $12.99 for the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle (with Hulu ads), that's not bad.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #383: March 23, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »
It looks like $12.99 for the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle (with Hulu ads), that's not bad.

$78 if you want live tv/Sports. It’s basically cable without the equipment rental, more on demand choices and a better interface

Offline The Chief

« Reply #384: March 23, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »

21 bucks a month doesn't sound so bad.  I wouldn't consider Amazon Prime in that unless Prime Video is the only thing keeping you from dropping Prime, in which case toss it in and make the total 34 bucks a month + whatever basic internet costs.  Still seems cheap compared to:

FWIW, I'm paying about $190 a month for FiOS Gigabit service, the lowest TV package, and a phone line. That includes two STBs and a multi-room DVR.

Like I said before, everyone's needs are a different.  For us it was a slam dunk to ditch traditional cable and has been great for almost 2 years now.  It's not my intent to evangelize here, just sharing my own experiences :)

Offline imref

« Reply #385: March 23, 2021, 12:39:56 PM »
21 bucks a month doesn't sound so bad.  I wouldn't consider Amazon Prime in that unless Prime Video is the only thing keeping you from dropping Prime, in which case toss it in and make the total 34 bucks a month + whatever basic internet costs.  Still seems cheap compared to:

Like I said before, everyone's needs are a different.  For us it was a slam dunk to ditch traditional cable and has been great for almost 2 years now.  It's not my intent to evangelize here, just sharing my own experiences :)

I didn't take it as you were trying to evangelize. It's always interesting to hear other's experiences.  I'd drop the phone line tomorrow if I could, and the Disney/Hulu bundle looks interesting.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #386: March 23, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »
I didn't take it as you were trying to evangelize. It's always interesting to hear other's experiences.  I'd drop the phone line tomorrow if I could, and the Disney/Hulu bundle looks interesting.

It adds espn too- which probably helps with JMU sports

Offline imref

« Reply #387: March 23, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »
$78 if you want live tv/Sports. It’s basically cable without the equipment rental, more on demand choices and a better interface

thanks.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #388: March 23, 2021, 01:05:48 PM »
Cord cutting was a novel concept initially but now that there are so many services to choose from it's not worth cutting.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #389: March 23, 2021, 03:26:25 PM »
thanks.
The steaming, no contract, no box reqd, no extra fees AT&T TV is a decent option for getting MASN.   $84.99 including HBO for a year.   https://www.att.com/tv/  It includes 3 simultaneous streams out of home, so it would be an ideal solution for 2-3 Nats fans to share during baseball season. 

I've been on the old grandfather directv now package that now has MASN, and it's a good service.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #390: March 23, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »
Cord cutting was a novel concept initially but now that there are so many services to choose from it's not worth cutting.
Too many choices is a bad thing?   At some point, the live bundle will die or at least by obsolete and everything will be available direct from the content provider.   So with no $60+ bundle, and 3-4 big players with most of the content, prices should be significantly cheaper than cable.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #391: March 23, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »
Too many choices is a bad thing?   At some point, the live bundle will die or at least by obsolete and everything will be available direct from the content provider.   So with no $60+ bundle, and 3-4 big players with most of the content, prices should be significantly cheaper than cable.

The plethora of choices is getting to be like a buffet. Just give me a regular meal. ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #392: March 23, 2021, 03:34:46 PM »
The plethora of choices is getting to be like a buffet. Just give me a regular meal. ;)

it's like a regular meal, you just have a menu and choose what to order.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #393: March 23, 2021, 08:15:47 PM »
I cut the cord (or more precisely, "severed the satellite") about two months ago after having been with DirecTV for over 20 years.  AT&T has absolutely driven that company into the ground.  Anyway, I switched to YouTubeTV and I haven't missed DTV at all.  I'm paying $65/month and have all my local channels, tons of sports channels (but sadly not MASN), and an unlimited DVR.  The unlimited DVR is cooler than I thought.  I'm taping a ton of stuff so there's always something to watch.  It allows 3 simultaneous feeds, and the interfaces on Roku, FireTV, the PC and mobile are all excellent. 

When the NFL season rolls around I will probably add the Sports Plus package for $11/month so I can get the Red Zone channel.  I also have Amazon Prime and Netflix, but I had those when I was on DirectTV as well.

The only missing piece is MASN, but I plan to get a VPN or Smart DNS package to go along with my MLB.TV membership once the season starts so I can watch the Nats.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #394: March 23, 2021, 09:54:12 PM »
I've said this before, but if you are looking for locals, try locast.org. You can turn off the "please contribute" stuff for $5 a month. Picture is fine (probably 720). All the local stations if they carry your broadcast area. Works great.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #395: March 24, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »

How timely today's comics are in light of this discussion:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #396: March 24, 2021, 09:02:12 AM »
How timely today's comics are in light of this discussion:

(Image removed from quote.)

My point exactly!

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #397: March 24, 2021, 09:10:23 AM »
My point exactly!

I'm pretty sure we're still paying less per month than we were with DirecTV once I adjust the costs for two services billed annually to reflect a per-month basis, and no more hassles with "rain fade" during thunderstorms or with the DVR boxes' hard disks failing. I also play the credit card game—last year I made sure to use American Express to pay for streaming services because they had a $20 per month statement credit for streaming services, and this year I'm switching them to Discover for April, May, and June because they have a 5% Cashback Bonus promo for streaming services during those months (which isn't huge, but I take the Cashback Bonus and roll it back into a statement credit—the big one was January through March, when it was 5% at grocery stores up to a maximum $75 aggregate, which of course we easily reached).

I don't view Internet service as part of the cost because we would have the same FIOS Internet service regardless of how we get our TV service. I also don't count my wife's annual donation to WETA that gets her PBS Passport access because she was making that donation already and simply continued to do so.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #398: March 24, 2021, 01:12:14 PM »
The only way anyone's getting internet + cable for 100 bucks or less these days is on a new customer deal, so unless you like changing providers every two years that comparison point needs to be a lot higher.  When our FiOS agreement was due to expire the best deal they could offer us for our existing service was $180/mo.  We're now at $85/mo (65+20) for internet and our one streaming service.  Add Amazon Prime if you want to be a stickler, but we'd be using that anyway, and we're still under $100/mo even if you count it.  Even if you toss in the cost of a nice antenna and 2 Roku sticks, we were even and saving money after 2 months and have been saving ever $80-$100/mo ever since (depending on whether you count Amazon).

It's no contest for us, but people's needs vary.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #399: March 24, 2021, 01:16:26 PM »
MLB working fine on my Roku. I guess all the spring training games are free? Usually they have a free week to start the season also, don’t they? In any event ESPN has a bunch of games opening week including the Nats opener.