Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13167 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #350: March 21, 2021, 03:24:36 PM »
I’ve got a 15 year old tv that had the original fire box attached to it until a couple of years ago until we switched to Apple. Unless you are moving into or out of an ecosystem, the boxes should last forever.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #351: March 21, 2021, 03:27:13 PM »
Good for you :shrug:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #352: March 21, 2021, 03:59:08 PM »
I’ve got a 15 year old tv that had the original fire box attached to it until a couple of years ago until we switched to Apple. Unless you are moving into or out of an ecosystem, the boxes should last forever.
My apple TV works after 8 years.  Issue is that Apple no longer supports apps I want to use. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #353: March 21, 2021, 05:47:49 PM »
So what software would someone use if they wanted to use the MLB app on a Roku? I know this is just theoretical. Just if you were spit balling, what might one use?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #354: March 21, 2021, 05:57:29 PM »
I ordered the low end Roku--can't beat $24.99. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #355: March 21, 2021, 06:46:18 PM »
I ordered the low end Roku--can't beat $24.99.

The streaming devices work fine. Because my TV is quite a ways from my router, I bought the expensive one and ran a cable.  I do love my Roku.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #356: March 21, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »

The streaming devices work fine. Because my TV is quite a ways from my router, I bought the expensive one and ran a cable.  I do love my Roku.
I have not purchased the MLB tv this year but with my at bat subscription I get the highlights, condensed games and free game of the day.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #357: March 21, 2021, 07:45:19 PM »
I have not purchased the MLB tv this year but with my at bat subscription I get the highlights, condensed games and free game of the day.

Yeah, I think that's how I'm going to roll.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #358: March 21, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »
So what software would someone use if they wanted to use the MLB app on a Roku? I know this is just theoretical. Just if you were spit balling, what might one use?

I'm really hoping that I'll be able to get MLB.TV to work on my Roku or FireTV when the season starts.  I finally cancelled DirecTV after 20 years, which means I also no longer have access to MASN.  I'm planning on trying out some different VPN packages when the season starts and hopefully I'll be able to watch the Nats games with my MLB.TV subscription after faking my location.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #359: March 22, 2021, 07:37:54 AM »
I'm really hoping that I'll be able to get MLB.TV to work on my Roku or FireTV when the season starts.  I finally cancelled DirecTV after 20 years, which means I also no longer have access to MASN.  I'm planning on trying out some different VPN packages when the season starts and hopefully I'll be able to watch the Nats games with my MLB.TV subscription after faking my location.

This is what I'm after. But I don't want to sink the money in mlb.tv if I can't make it work fairly easily.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #360: March 22, 2021, 09:53:45 AM »
We've got two Roku's. A box and a streaming stick and MLB.TV works great on both. (I also don't live anywhere near DC, so getting Nats games blacked out isn't a concern for me unless they play in Kansas City.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #361: March 22, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »
I guess it would be fairly easy to use VPN software on a laptop, and HDMI to a TV/monitor?

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #362: March 22, 2021, 07:01:10 PM »
I guess it would be fairly easy to use VPN software on a laptop, and HDMI to a TV/monitor?

Yea, if I can't get it to work directly on Roku or FireTV, then that would be the backup plan.  I will just load MLB.TV on the computer and then cast that tab to Chromecast on the big-screen.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #363: March 22, 2021, 09:02:25 PM »
Yea, if I can't get it to work directly on Roku or FireTV, then that would be the backup plan.  I will just load MLB.TV on the computer and then cast that tab to Chromecast on the big-screen.

I was going to suggest a router-based VPN but this is probably much easier, honestly.

Offline machpost

« Reply #364: March 23, 2021, 08:24:03 AM »
It's easy to set up VPN or Smart DNS on an Apple TV; you just go into the network settings on the device, change DHCP from automatic to manual, and enter the IP address provided by the provider of the VPN or Smart DNS. Reboot, and you're ready to go. I have little to no experience with Roku or the Fire stick, but I believe you have to make that settings change on your router in some cases, if you're unable to make the change on the streaming device itself.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #365: March 23, 2021, 08:57:33 AM »
I was going to suggest a router-based VPN but this is probably much easier, honestly.

Unlocator offers such a service and it's very easy to set up. It doesn't seem to help with an Amazon Fire Stick or Cube and I believe the technical explanation has something to do with those devices having access to the Alexa app on your mobile phone and thereby to the phone's GPS.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #366: March 23, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »
My 2-year contract with Verizon FiOS expired and my cable bill shot up to $155/mo for internet + cable. I tried to do online retention with Verizon and the best offer I got was exactly what I'm paying now. I then explored Comcast Xfinity but that would have come in at suspiciously close to $155/mo for equivalent service.

I'm honestly considering cutting the cord again. I haven't been watching a ton of sports since my kid was born and frankly the Nats are probably entering a low-watchability era following the 2021 season. My wife could survive off Netflix, and my kid watches entirely YouTube anyway.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #367: March 23, 2021, 09:36:17 AM »
I'm honestly considering cutting the cord again. I haven't been watching a ton of sports since my kid was born and frankly the Nats are probably entering a low-watchability era following the 2021 season. My wife could survive off Netflix, and my kid watches entirely YouTube anyway.

So if you go with Fios internet only you're probably looking at $100 or there abouts?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #368: March 23, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »
My 2-year contract with Verizon FiOS expired and my cable bill shot up to $155/mo for internet + cable. I tried to do online retention with Verizon and the best offer I got was exactly what I'm paying now. I then explored Comcast Xfinity but that would have come in at suspiciously close to $155/mo for equivalent service.

FWIW, I'm paying about $190 a month for FiOS Gigabit service, the lowest TV package, and a phone line. That includes two STBs and a multi-room DVR.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #369: March 23, 2021, 09:46:02 AM »
So if you go with Fios internet only you're probably looking at $100 or there abouts?

We pay $90 a month now for a gig up and down. You can cut that much lower if you don’t need that much speed

Offline The Chief

« Reply #370: March 23, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »

Can't speak for Count but I'm only paying $65 for 100/100 service (which I've not yet seen a need to upgrade from).

FWIW, I'm paying about $190 a month for FiOS Gigabit service, the lowest TV package, and a phone line. That includes two STBs and a multi-room DVR.

$65 for 100/100 + $20 for streaming service of choice (about ~60 cable channels including the ~4 we actually care about).  Unlimited DVR, up to 3 concurrent users, and the app is fantastic on all platforms.  Good old antenna takes care of local channels for free.

Not trying to get into a contest here but it's super easy to "beat" traditional cable on price if your viewing needs are not excessive and you're not a new customer.  I personally have no interest in going back to coax service when FiOS is available so while I suppose I could bounce back and forth for the new customer deal every 2 years, I'm much happier with the setup we've got (which is still less than new customer deals last I checked).

Tack-on: this isn't a decisive factor but Roku's responsiveness and usability absolutely blows Verizon's awful boxes out of the water.  Same for Apple TV and Firewhatever, from what I've seen at family/friends homes.  Just something about those Telco boxes...  they run like hot garbage.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #371: March 23, 2021, 09:55:23 AM »
Yeah. I’ve never understood why Verizon can’t get a box with a decent processor.

I’ve got three here on video calls a good chunk of the day so the higher speed service has been worth the upgrade. We keep tv for sports and my wife refuses to give up the phone.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #372: March 23, 2021, 09:56:47 AM »

Tack-on: this isn't a decisive factor but Roku's responsiveness and usability absolutely blows Verizon's awful boxes out of the water.  Same for Apple TV and Firewhatever, from what I've seen at family/friends homes.  Just something about those Telco boxes...  they run like hot garbage.

that's the hidden benefit to cord cutting, no matter which box/stick you choose, it's an upgrade over any cable box in terms of speed and usability

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #373: March 23, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
Yeah. I’ve never understood why Verizon can’t get a box with a decent processor.

I’ve got three here on video calls a good chunk of the day so the higher speed service has been worth the upgrade. We keep tv for sports and my wife refuses to give up the phone.

we do the disney/espn/hulu live bundle and get every sport except baseball (thanks MASN). It's pricey, but also has more than cable built into it

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #374: March 23, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »
With all the bifurcation of the streaming services, it's gonna drive people back to something like cable eventually...