Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13376 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #300: November 12, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
Terribly slow and they replaced the channel icons with a generic “tv” icon so as you scroll through the guide you can’t tell the names of the channels.  There are 100 pages of complaints on the Verizon support forum https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-TV-Technical-Assistance/Sept-2020-Fios-DVR-and-Guide-Update/td-p/901983

Amazing.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #301: November 12, 2020, 01:06:45 PM »
I wonder if this is their not so subtle way to get people to drop cable entirely- much easier to just sell internet than to have to manage cable subscriptions

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #302: November 12, 2020, 04:21:43 PM »
Okay, yeah that's some varsity level BS there. They must have been taking notes from Sony. (Okay, probably a ton of companies, but Sony is the only one so far to make digital content I paid for unavailable)
Are people still using sling boxes?  These are just the the things that allow you to watch your cable box from other locations and are pretty much obsolete.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #303: November 12, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »
Are people still using sling boxes?  These are just the the things that allow you to watch your cable box from other locations and are pretty much obsolete.

I'm going to guess SlingTV is a different product then, not usable by or tied to the boxes? That seems to be the thing they kept hammering when I still had to put up with commercials. If SlingTV is a box independent service and a SlingBox is only capable of showing an active cable subscription, then yeah, I agree it seems useless. But the cable boxes have had some form of DRM for years. I wonder what kind of agreement they must have had to allow Sling to do that?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #304: November 12, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
I'm going to guess SlingTV is a different product then, not usable by or tied to the boxes? That seems to be the thing they kept hammering when I still had to put up with commercials. If SlingTV is a box independent service and a SlingBox is only capable of showing an active cable subscription, then yeah, I agree it seems useless. But the cable boxes have had some form of DRM for years. I wonder what kind of agreement they must have had to allow Sling to do that?

how can you have DRM when a audio/video is passed to a TV- sling just has to act like a tv

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #305: November 12, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
Sling boxes are not related to SlingTV service or those Sing Airtv boxes.

I don't know if they ever got them working with HDMI.   The last one I used went from the component outs.   I guess it could be useful if you wanted to use your parent's cable box to watch MASN, but that's probably a pretty obscure use case when you can use their TV Anywhere login for most other channels. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #306: November 12, 2020, 04:39:12 PM »
how can you have DRM when a audio/video is passed to a TV- sling just has to act like a tv
HDMI uses HDCP to verify the receiver (TV) is authorized to receive DRM'd content.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #307: November 12, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
HDMI uses HDCP to verify the receiver (TV) is authorized to receive DRM'd content.

This and there's a signal from the mothership to the cable box that periodically needs to be answered. If it doesn't get the answer it's looking for, it disables things like Pay Per View. That said, I don't believe they ever rolled it out to widespread usage on non premium content.

Also, right around the time they started broadcasting over the air TV using HD signals (requiring a converter or new antenna if your TV couldn't handle them - somewhere around 2008ish) a lot of TVs could also scan for channels using fractional numbering - ie 7.1, 7.2 etc. Most providers put their video on demand and PPV stuff on a specific channel that was then broadcast over that while your cable box was tuned to pick it up. If you scanned for channels periodically, you could watch all kind of content that someone else ordered and was watching.

At first, the picture was fine - looked just like you had ordered it. Within a year or two however, the DRM kicked in and you would get static/fuzz/censored/distorted display when played at normal speed, but you could see what was happening without distortion when someone used the fastforward or rewind features.

I believe it was after that point when they introduced the signal from the mothership to ensure you weren't picking up channels you shouldn't - want to say it was Q tuning or something along those lines. It's been a while.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #308: November 12, 2020, 09:28:48 PM »

Old boxes had outputs other than hdmi

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #309: November 13, 2020, 01:59:05 AM »

Not obsolete at all - I love my Slingbox!  The best part about it is that's it's free from any monthly charges.  I'm already paying way too much money for a DirecTV subscription at home, so why would I want to pay more money to stream things when I'm away from home?  I can just tap into my home receiver and watch anything - including all the stuff I already have recorded on my DVR.  Plus, I have Sunday Ticket at home, so even when I'm away from home I can still watch any NFL game I want for free. 

It totally sucks that they are going to brick this fantastic product, but I've been expecting it for quite some time.  Every company is going to the subscription model, and I can't exactly blame them.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #310: November 13, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »
Not obsolete at all - I love my Slingbox!  The best part about it is that's it's free from any monthly charges.  I'm already paying way too much money for a DirecTV subscription at home, so why would I want to pay more money to stream things when I'm away from home?  I can just tap into my home receiver and watch anything - including all the stuff I already have recorded on my DVR.  Plus, I have Sunday Ticket at home, so even when I'm away from home I can still watch any NFL game I want for free. 

It totally sucks that they are going to brick this fantastic product, but I've been expecting it for quite some time.  Every company is going to the subscription model, and I can't exactly blame them.
Can’t you just stream your direct tv and Sunday ticket via the internet anyway when you are away from home?

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #311: November 13, 2020, 11:50:08 PM »
Can’t you just stream your direct tv and Sunday ticket via the internet anyway when you are away from home?

Yes, but local games are blacked out on Sunday Ticket, and 90% of the time when I'm away from the house and trying to watch an NFL game - it's the "Washington Football Team", so I need to use Slingbox for that.  Same deal with the Nats - I have used my Slingbox a ton in the past to watch Nats games while I'm on the road.  And on business trips I also catch up on stuff that's on the home DVR.  All that goes away when they brick these devices.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #312: November 14, 2020, 08:59:06 PM »
2IPAs & I just watched the movie/documentary on Netflix called "The Social Dilemma".  It was about how social media and websites are trying to influence our thinking.  It was very interesting and I suggest it to anybody.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #313: November 14, 2020, 09:28:30 PM »
2IPAs & I just watched the movie/documentary on Netflix called "The Social Dilemma".  It was about how social media and websites are trying to influence our thinking.  It was very interesting and I suggest it to anybody.
did they discuss streaming services and their influence?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #314: November 14, 2020, 09:47:30 PM »
No - it was about social media and search engines - the groups that are trying to cater ads toward the internet user.

did they discuss streaming services and their influence?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #315: November 15, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »

Watched it the other night and I agree

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #316: November 15, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
On my list. My son keeps beating me up because I haven't watched it yet.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #317: November 16, 2020, 05:50:03 AM »
How old is your son ?

On my list. My son keeps beating me up because I haven't watched it yet.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #318: November 30, 2020, 08:30:05 AM »
Cyber Monday deals:

Hulu 1 year subscription for $1.99 a month which is a 67% discount.

Roku Ultra Streaming Stick Device at Staples for $69.99 (Save $30).

Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite for $17.99 which is a 40% discount.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #319: December 01, 2020, 02:07:27 PM »
How old is your son ?

He'll be 27 in January.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #320: December 02, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »
Social Dilemma was OK.  The dramatization was a bit much for me.  Had a hearty laugh at a couple of the "insiders" suggesting that taxes on data collection were the solution.

My favorite line from it (paraphrased) "the internet used to be magical and wondrous but now it's just like a giant shopping mall"

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #321: December 02, 2020, 02:01:51 PM »
Social Dilemma was OK.  The dramatization was a bit much for me.  Had a hearty laugh at a couple of the "insiders" suggesting that taxes on data collection were the solution.

My favorite line from it (paraphrased) "the internet used to be magical and wondrous but now it's just like a giant shopping mall"

I thought the really insightful thing is that if two people google the same phrase (like climate change), they'll get different results, based on what Google knows about them. The algorithms are built to make money, not present useful information. Same thing on all plaforms, really.

Yeah, the dramatization was stupid.

My favorite line was "If you are not paying for the product, then you are the product."

I will say that it convinced me to turn notifications off and remove several apps from my phone.  I've also un-followed almost everyone on Twitter that is not a sports writer. And I try to use DuckDuckGo to search most of the time. At least I know I'm only getting advertised at for that session.

I've been toying with the idea of building a phone that's platform agnostic. There's a guy on Youtube that has done it. Has mapping software, paid email, etc. No Apple or Google involved.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #322: December 02, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »
I thought the really insightful thing is that if two people google the same phrase (like climate change), they'll get different results, based on what Google knows about them. The algorithms are built to make money, not present useful information. Same thing on all plaforms, really.

If you really want to have fun on Google try slowly typing in anything that goes against the popular narrative and watch the (lack of) suggestions.

I will say that it convinced me to turn notifications off and remove several apps from my phone.  I've also un-followed almost everyone on Twitter that is not a sports writer. And I try to use DuckDuckGo to search most of the time. At least I know I'm only getting advertised at for that session.

I like startpage.com.  It uses Google's results but doesn't connect you personally to them, so it's a nice compromise between ditching google and protecting your privacy.  I've tried DDG as well but found the results wanting a lot of the time.  Could just be a matter of what I'm used to though.

I've been toying with the idea of building a phone that's platform agnostic. There's a guy on Youtube that has done it. Has mapping software, paid email, etc. No Apple or Google involved.

Are you talking about an Android phone without the Google APIs/apps, or something else entirely?  I've been dragging my feet on pulling away from a lot of Google's products because despite their enormous privacy issues, they're just so effective.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #323: December 02, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Yes, an Android phone without the Google stuff. I'll have to try startpage.com

If you really want to have fun on Google try slowly typing in anything that goes against the popular narrative and watch the (lack of) suggestions.

I like startpage.com.  It uses Google's results but doesn't connect you personally to them, so it's a nice compromise between ditching google and protecting your privacy.  I've tried DDG as well but found the results wanting a lot of the time.  Could just be a matter of what I'm used to though.

Are you talking about an Android phone without the Google APIs/apps, or something else entirely?  I've been dragging my feet on pulling away from a lot of Google's products because despite their enormous privacy issues, they're just so effective.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #324: March 09, 2021, 03:16:04 PM »
Disney + passed the 100M subscriber mark in 16 months.