Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13177 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #225: November 25, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »
ESPN+ also has some games.  Although I suppose that’s blacked out in the home territory?
That's correct about black outs.   I could see espn+ buying the local rights from a few teams to show locally though.   It looks like Yankees games shown locally on Amazon will be the first agreement.   I wonder if they will include in the Prime fees or charge extra.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #226: November 25, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
That's correct about black outs.   I could see espn+ buying the local rights from a few teams to show locally though.   It looks like Yankees games shown locally on Amazon will be the first agreement.   I wonder if they will include in the Prime fees or charge extra.

I don’t think they can- when Disney bought fox, they had to divest RSNs- I would be odd if a Disney company turned around and re-bought the same rights

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #227: November 25, 2019, 12:28:30 PM »
I don’t think they can- when Disney bought fox, they had to divest RSNs- I would be odd if a Disney company turned around and re-bought the same rights
It was the ownership of the stations that would have been a problem and was a merger condition.  I assume ESPN or ESPN+ are free to bid on whatever content they want to.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #228: November 25, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »
If so that would be awesome, right back to cable if I bundled with Disney plus and Hulu, but on demand and better interface for most stuff

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #229: November 25, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »
If so that would be awesome, right back to cable if I bundled with Disney plus and Hulu, but on demand and better interface for most stuff
MLB did something crafty that not all the other sports did.  They kept control of the streaming rights and didn't let any of the local TV deals include them except by short term waiver.  I don't know how this will all play out, but if it is as it seems on the surface, then all the teams are going to be free to put their rights out for bidding.  And this off season is ripe with big Streaming companies trying to make a buzz.  Disney/ESPN+ is live, HBO Max is launching in a couple months, CBS bought Viacom with eyes on expanding on what CBS All Access is, Peacock is launching soon with all NBC/Universal content.   Then there's the wild cards like Amazon, Google/YouTube and Facebook.  Facebook paid 30 million for those 25 games in 2018, but that was exclusive, global coverage and they also didn't think it was worthwhile to renew the next year.   

It seems fairly likely that a team like the Nats could sell streaming rights in market for $10-20 million/year in a bidding war.  How the whole MASN mess relates to this is a huge question mark though.  Even though MASN has no streaming rights or control over whether these games are streamed, I think there was some ambiguous langue PB69 posted about having to share or technology similar to TV or something like that.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #230: November 26, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
For those of you who are both FiOS and Verizon Wireless Customers, they just launched a new rewards program that pays up to $30 a month in benefits.  I signed up and am getting $10 off my monthly bill, plus $10 in device credit each month (that I can compile each month toward the cost of a new phone or tablet).

Details:
1 - Any Combination Of FiOS And Wireless Plans (Even Lowest Tiers Of Both) - $10 Device Dollars/mo
2 - Either Gigabit Or Unlimited - $10 Off ($5/bill/mo) + $10 Device Dollars/mo
3 - Both Gigabit And Unlimited - $20 Off ($10/bill/mo) + $10 Device Dollars/mo
3 (Welcome Offer) - $30 Off ($15/bill/mo) + $10 Device Dollars/mo (If New To Both FiOS And Wireless Within 30 days of each other)

To Activate Discounts:
Get My Verizon App
Click To Verizon Up Section
Look For Mobile+Home Rewards
Click Learn More
Click Join Now

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #231: November 26, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #232: January 06, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
Has there been any news about whether or not MASN will stream games in 2020?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #233: January 07, 2020, 11:21:48 AM »
Has there been any news about whether or not MASN will stream games in 2020?

Not so far.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #234: January 07, 2020, 07:30:36 PM »
Not so far.
I have access to MASN at our NOVA residence cable and hoping they stream for when we are away.  As almost everyone else does.  Preaching to the choir I know.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #235: March 02, 2020, 01:39:02 PM »
so att responds to cord cutting with a streaming service that brings back all the things that people hated about cable

AT&T TV packages start at $49.99 per month for 12 months with a 24 month agreement when you buy the service standalone. According to the fine print on AT&T's website, the prices will be higher in the second year.

Specifically, this means that prices nearly double after the first 12 months with the service. The entry-level Entertainment plan has about 70 cable channels at $49.99/month for the first year, and from the 13th month onward it will run you $93/month. The Ultimate tier has more than 170 channels at $69.99/month for the first year, and then from the 13th month you'll pay $135/month.
There is also a $19.95 activation fee and prorated early-termination fees if you cancel before your two year contract is up. You do get the Android-powered box for free, but if you want to add more into your home you'll have to pay $120 per box.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/02/att-tv-live-streaming/

who is this being targeted too?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #236: March 02, 2020, 02:01:03 PM »
This is pretty similar to the recent Comcast/Xfinity approach. Charge the remaining customers as much as possible, even if they already had contracts. Dare them to quit.

We're paying $250+ a month for cable for two HDTVs. A very moderate package. And mediocre internet. Just have to get my wife used to the idea that we're going to be listening to Charlie and Dave a lot...

so att responds to cord cutting with a streaming service that brings back all the things that people hated about cable
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/02/att-tv-live-streaming/

who is this being targeted too?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #237: March 02, 2020, 02:19:39 PM »
Just have to get my wife used to the idea that we're going to be listening to Charlie and Dave a lot...

they got at least an extra year out of us based on just MASN

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #238: March 02, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »
Anyone have Apple TV? I was thinking of picking it up at Costco but they have 2 models. A 32gb and a 64 gb. The 64gb model is about $20 more so it’s not a deal breaker but is it really needed?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #239: March 02, 2020, 07:19:17 PM »
Anyone have Apple TV? I was thinking of picking it up at Costco but they have 2 models. A 32gb and a 64 gb. The 64gb model is about $20 more so it’s not a deal breaker but is it really needed?

You only need the extra storage if you want to download a lot of games and apps, or store content locally.  For most users, 32GB is plenty, but for me, I'd spend the extra $20 for 2x the storage (and probably never need it).

This explains it pretty well:
https://www.imore.com/should-you-buy-32-gb-or-64-gb-new-apple-tv

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #241: March 03, 2020, 08:59:14 AM »

We have a 64 GB Apple TV 4k downstairs. I essentially concluded the extra cost for the higher-capacity model was minimal in the scheme of things, even though the odds are we won't need it. I can skip buying two beers at a Caps game to pay for the difference. (I believe it was on sale for $20 off when I got it, too.)

We have an Amazon Fire TV Cube in the kitchen and two Amazon Fire Sticks upstairs. In my observation, the Apple TV is the most sophisticated device of the four, but my wife finds the Amazon remote substantially easier to use. The Apple TV's remote uses a touchpad to move the cursor around the screen and then you click the touchpad to select something. The Amazon remote has a ring and you press the side of the ring corresponding to the direction you want the cursor to go, then click the button inside the ring. She finds that a lot easier than using a touchpad. The voice control on both devices is hit-or-miss at best. I have a Logitech Harmony remote downstairs that can control the Apple TV, but it's not yet set up to do so because I don't have a vacant device slot on the remote (it can control up to eight devices). We have cancelled DirecTV and I plan to ship the boxes back to them this weekend, so once I do that I can program the remote to control the Apple TV and I'll see whether she likes that better.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #242: March 03, 2020, 09:12:12 AM »
We have a 64 GB Apple TV 4k downstairs. I essentially concluded the extra cost for the higher-capacity model was minimal in the scheme of things, even though the odds are we won't need it. I can skip buying two beers at a Caps game to pay for the difference.

Yeah, the price difference is minimal I was just curious if people really needed the extra capacity. For that price I suppose if it's not needed it probably will be in the future and it'd be good to be prepared.

There were a couple of reasons I was checking out the Apple TV.  With our upcoming move we will be going to a non-Fios area but I have really been intrigued with the whole cord cutting movement.  Our current plan is the gig triple play with Fios (phone, 1 gig internet, and TV with DVR and no optional channels) is about $175 a month. We don't even use the phone (we've had Ooma for a number of years) and the gig speed internet is overkill for the 2 of us and we don't watch 99% of the channels we currently get.  The other reason for checking out Apple is that Limbaugh just announced a deal he signed with Apple so that those of us who subscribe to his "24/7" subscription service and can currently watch him do his radio program over the internet on a PC or tablet will now be able to watch over Apple TV. He's a huge Apple fanboi so the deal with Apple TV is really no surprise.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #243: March 03, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
Yeah, the price difference is minimal I was just curious if people really needed the extra capacity. For that price I suppose if it's not needed it probably will be in the future and it'd be good to be prepared.
the 4k upgrade is the only one that matters. Unless you plan on using the Apple TV as a game console, the storage doesn't do much. I have 4 in the house, one is a 64, but I have no idea which at this point.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #244: March 03, 2020, 09:24:43 AM »
What do all these fancier models of devices do that's worth it over a basic stick?  We got the Roku streaming stick for 30 bucks on sale and have been extremely satisfied with it.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #245: March 03, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
This is pretty similar to the recent Comcast/Xfinity approach. Charge the remaining customers as much as possible, even if they already had contracts. Dare them to quit.

We're paying $250+ a month for cable for two HDTVs. A very moderate package. And mediocre internet. Just have to get my wife used to the idea that we're going to be listening to Charlie and Dave a lot...
Seems high. We are paying about $160 per month to Comcast in PWC. Includes a good tv package and Blast internet.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #246: March 03, 2020, 09:30:18 AM »
What do all these fancier models of devices do that's worth it over a basic stick?  We got the Roku streaming stick for 30 bucks on sale and have been extremely satisfied with it.

easy to hand off between my phone desktop and the tvs (only matters if you're in the apple eco system), I like the UI much better and apps seem to be update more frequently and to be more stable (this might have changed, I haven't had a roku for years), but for me the big one was that when I went to add a second roku, they wanted a credit card to activate it (I think my old one predated that requirement) - I like as few companies as possible having my credit card number stored and I never was going to spend any money with Roku itself

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #247: March 03, 2020, 09:48:43 AM »
My toddler just knows that's what channel Paw Patrol is on, it has nothing to do with "knowing what TV is".  Pretty much only use the DVR function, watching anything live is rare.
They like the song.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #248: March 03, 2020, 09:51:37 AM »
They like the song.
I like Mayor Humdinger.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #249: March 03, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »
They like the song.

She's moved on for now, it's all about Daniel Tiger, Arthur, and Blue's Clues.