Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13178 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #200: November 15, 2019, 10:27:37 PM »
D+ does not allow you to stop watching a show, then Come back later and resume. Arghhh

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #201: November 15, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »
DCFan - do you have an additional plan to cover beyond Medicare ?

You doctor/plutocrats slay me. Good thing Warren is coming after you. But hey I’m making my next hit on Medicare. Got my arthroscopic knee surgery in 11 days.  Medicare for all baby! ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #202: November 15, 2019, 10:51:45 PM »
Sigh.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #203: November 15, 2019, 11:31:49 PM »
Sigh.

Luckliy I will be dead by then. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #204: November 16, 2019, 06:32:34 AM »
Mine has been rescheduled for this coming Monday...

May the force be with you!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #205: November 16, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
Sigh.

Doesn't sound like anything that will impact you unless you buy a new TV.  I seriously doubt they're going to stop the current HD broadcast frequencies anytime soon.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #206: November 16, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Turn on the Roku today to listen to some Christmas music and there are *three* Disney+ ads on the main menu.  At the bottom left under the scroll options, on the "rotating" ad spot next to the channels, and the whole friggin' background/wallpaper :shock:

Offline imref

« Reply #207: November 16, 2019, 11:54:55 AM »
Turn on the Roku today to listen to some Christmas music and there are *three* Disney+ ads on the main menu.  At the bottom left under the scroll options, on the "rotating" ad spot next to the channels, and the whole friggin' background/wallpaper :shock:

You will be assimilated

Offline imref

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #209: November 24, 2019, 05:40:26 PM »
:pray:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/mlb-plans-to-end-blackouts-of-in-market-games-for-cord-cutters/
Very interesting.  Streaming  rights returned to the teams?  I wonder what this means for the Nationals.  Can the Nats sell their streams directly and bypass MASN?   MLB has been clear all along that the local TV rights don't include the streaming rights.  That would be the true best case scenario for Nats fans and screwing MASN!

Offline imref

« Reply #210: November 24, 2019, 06:01:43 PM »
My guess is that MLB.TV will sell a supplemental local game package, or make it so that you can watch games if you already have a subscription to a pay TV service.  For example, I can watch TBS via their app if I sign in using my FiOS credentials.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #211: November 24, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »
My guess is that MLB.TV will sell a supplemental local game package, or make it so that you can watch games if you already have a subscription to a pay TV service.  For example, I can watch TBS via their app if I sign in using my FiOS credentials.

I doubt that- if they’re trying to get cord cutters, that does nothing. If they just give teams access to their streams, I wonder if the Nats have to get a separate crew or if they could use the MASN stream

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #212: November 24, 2019, 06:25:49 PM »
I doubt that- if they’re trying to get cord cutters, that does nothing. If they just give teams access to their streams, I wonder if the Nats have to get a separate crew or if they could use the MASN stream
Agreed.  I don't know what this is going to look like, but I doubt it's part of mlb.tv and definitely point to it being available outside of the cable bundle which is the big deal.  I am actually surprised they are giving these rights to the teams to try to monetize.  Selling all the rights as a package to big player like Amazon or ESPN+ would seem like where the real money is.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #213: November 24, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »
Regardless, there will probably be years of lawsuits between the nats, Os and the league- I can’t think of any solution the could come up with that would avoid it. Give the rights to the teams, the Os says they should gets the nats rights, give them jointly, the nats say that was never part of the deal

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #214: November 25, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
If it’s in any way tied to MASN, my gut tells me streaming won’t be available here. Angelos is dead-set against it. I presume he knows the data will likely show the Nats with a far bigger streaming audience than his franchise, which would bolster the Nats’ position in all the MASN-related disputes.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #215: November 25, 2019, 09:26:01 AM »
I still can't believe another team's owner has anything to do with our TV rights.  I know the history but it still boggles the mind.

freak Angelos.

As for the cord-cutting angle - that's great but unless the above issues are resolved and the price for a single-team package (if such a thing exists) is in the sub-$10 realm, it won't change my mind about consuming games via radio or other means instead.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #216: November 25, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
I still can't believe another team's owner has anything to do with our TV rights.  I know the history but it still boggles the mind.

freak Angelos.

As for the cord-cutting angle - that's great but unless the above issues are resolved and the price for a single-team package (if such a thing exists) is in the sub-$10 realm, it won't change my mind about consuming games via radio or other means instead.
Freak Bud Selig. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #217: November 25, 2019, 09:34:39 AM »

freak Angelos.

Objectively, compared to other offerings, $10 seems high. Even during the heart of the season, you’re averaging less than 24 hours of content (at least content that people will pay for) a week. I’d pay 10, but you’re probably only getting fans at that point

Offline The Chief

« Reply #218: November 25, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
Objectively, compared to other offerings, $10 seems high. Even during the heart of the season, you’re averaging less than 24 hours of content (at least content that people will pay for) a week. I’d pay 10, but you’re probably only getting fans at that point

Oh yeah something like 5 bucks would be more my speed but 10 is my line in the sand, I wouldn't even consider anything over that price.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #219: November 25, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
Oh yeah something like 5 bucks would be more my speed but 10 is my line in the sand, I wouldn't even consider anything over that price.
Lots of free streams out there. Or the MLB package and spoof your location. The latter probably costs for the year what one trip to the park would be.

Offline machpost

« Reply #220: November 25, 2019, 10:07:40 AM »
Lots of free streams out there. Or the MLB package and spoof your location. The latter probably costs for the year what one trip to the park would be.

True, but it's more difficult and in some cases impossible to spoof your location on mobile devices and I found that the location spoofing with Apple TV was not 100% reliable. I think I'd be willing to pay a little extra to stream the Nats if it took care of those issues.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #221: November 25, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »

I'm aware of both options but I'd prefer we not discuss anything illegal here (or grey area in the case of location spoofing).

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #222: November 25, 2019, 11:24:07 AM »
I've done the unlocator/mlb.tv for the last few years.  It works well on the Roku.  The Apple TV was a battle this year.  I think MLB was doing things that made it not work, so it's been kind of a pain.  And like it was said, it doesn't work with mobile devices without more serious hacking around gps.  I don't know a good way to get good pirate streams on the tv in good quality and reliably.   Chromecast is crappy for that kind of thing.   HDMI cable to the TV is a pain.

We all have our own moral code for this kind of thing.  Personally, I think the mlb.tv workaround fits in mine because the only other option is to subscribe to a $50+ cable package to just get the one channel that isn't even paying the Nationals!

If the team is offering standalone access, no matter the price is, I guess that's where I feel obligated to either pay that amount, or if I don't think it's worth it, then don't watch the games.   It's seems somewhat entitled to say that I don't like the price they are charging, so I will let someone else foot the bills and pick up the streams illegally.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #223: November 25, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »

I'd pay $10 per month for the months of the season.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #224: November 25, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »
I'm aware of both options but I'd prefer we not discuss anything illegal here (or grey area in the case of location spoofing).
ESPN+ also has some games.  Although I suppose that’s blacked out in the home territory?