Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13143 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #175: November 13, 2019, 02:23:45 PM »
If I’m paying roku/Apple for a box and then I buy channels who get a cut of my subscription money from Roku/Apple who combine the channels into a guide, it’s sounds a lot like roku/Apple is my new cable provider

You're not wrong, although there is a lot of free content on Roku, and the devices work for screencasting, networked media playback and probably some other features I'm not aware of.  The main reason people are doing this right now is because there are more provider choices and a lot of them are cheaper, even if you're using more than one.  It's more modular than what the "real" cable companies are offering (not to mention no more equipment rental fees), but at the end of the day the pendulum will probably swing back toward consolidation and people will once again be left with relatively few/expensive options.

Major networks over antenna is more than 50% of my usage even with the current boon of a cheap "cable" plan through Roku.  Individual networks also have a reasonable incentive to continue offering a la carte options.  I'm paying $20/mo for ~60 cable channels but the truth is I really only watch 3 of them with any regularity.  Even if BIGCORP sucks up all the other channels and demands $50/mo for them I'd probably still be happy to pay $20/mo between those 3 channels I watch.

We'll see how things shake out.  I'd probably use Roku purely for performance and aesthetics at this point.  Somehow an HDMI stick the size of a pack of gum runs circles around a FiOS cable box the size of a Sherman :lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #176: November 13, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »
Has fios offered you the opportunity to upgrade? Trying to replace my barely functional box with the upgraded ones my neighbors got when the switched from Comcast and being told there was an $80 per box upgrade fee (for boxes I was still going to have to pay a monthly rental fee for) was one of the many reasons that I got fed up with cable

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #177: November 13, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »
The other thing to consider is the burgeoning amount of very good entertainment on YouTube. Probably 60% of my non-Nats TV viewing is YouTube.

Bad Obsession Motorsport
Acorn to Arabella
Pask Makes
Sampson Boat Co
Mustie1
Popular Woodworking

If there's something you are interested in, there's people producing high-enough quality content.

You're not wrong, although there is a lot of free content on Roku, and the devices work for screencasting, networked media playback and probably some other features I'm not aware of.  The main reason people are doing this right now is because there are more provider choices and a lot of them are cheaper, even if you're using more than one.  It's more modular than what the "real" cable companies are offering (not to mention no more equipment rental fees), but at the end of the day the pendulum will probably swing back toward consolidation and people will once again be left with relatively few/expensive options.

Major networks over antenna is more than 50% of my usage even with the current boon of a cheap "cable" plan through Roku.  Individual networks also have a reasonable incentive to continue offering a la carte options.  I'm paying $20/mo for ~60 cable channels but the truth is I really only watch 3 of them with any regularity.  Even if BIGCORP sucks up all the other channels and demands $50/mo for them I'd probably still be happy to pay $20/mo between those 3 channels I watch.

We'll see how things shake out.  I'd probably use Roku purely for performance and aesthetics at this point.  Somehow an HDMI stick the size of a pack of gum runs circles around a FiOS cable box the size of a Sherman :lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #178: November 13, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »
Has fios offered you the opportunity to upgrade? Trying to replace my barely functional box with the upgraded ones my neighbors got when the switched from Comcast and being told there was an $80 per box upgrade fee (for boxes I was still going to have to pay a monthly rental fee for) was one of the many reasons that I got fed up with cable

At some point during our multiple attempts to wring a better deal out of them, the chat rep tried to sell me on the new boxes, promised I would not be charged anything, would not change my contract, etc.  He then proceeded to (apparently) never place the actual order :lol:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #179: November 13, 2019, 04:27:47 PM »
Disney+ already surpassed 10 million subscribers.  For comparison, Hulu has about 28 million subscribers, Netflix has 158 million.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #180: November 13, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »
Probably exactly what cord cutters in households with children want.

Disney+ already surpassed 10 million subscribers.  For comparison, Hulu has about 28 million subscribers, Netflix has 158 million.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #181: November 13, 2019, 04:44:44 PM »

Yep, I actually know a couple of families excited to drop sling and sign up because they just had it for Disney

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #182: November 13, 2019, 04:48:12 PM »
Get off my lawn before I sic muh dog on yer!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #183: November 13, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »
Yep, I actually know a couple of families excited to drop sling and sign up because they just had it for Disney

Nick Jr is one of the 3 channels we use in our bundle :lol:

Online imref

« Reply #184: November 13, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »

I could watch moana a few times a week :)

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #185: November 13, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »
What age kids are watching Nick and Disney?   My 11 and 13 year old don't know that TV exists outside of YouTube, and have been that way for at least 3-4 years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #186: November 13, 2019, 10:24:13 PM »
What age kids are watching Nick and Disney?   My 11 and 13 year old don't know that TV exists outside of YouTube, and have been that way for at least 3-4 years.

My 7 and 8 year olds love Disney - they would constantly watch bunk’d if we would let them

Online imref

« Reply #187: November 13, 2019, 11:06:08 PM »
My 7 and 8 year olds love Disney - they would constantly watch bunk’d if we would let them

mine were watching iCarly and Victorious at that age.  But doesn't D+ have the Marvel Comics and Star Wars libraries?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #188: November 14, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »

My toddler just knows that's what channel Paw Patrol is on, it has nothing to do with "knowing what TV is".  Pretty much only use the DVR function, watching anything live is rare.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #189: November 14, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
My toddler just knows that's what channel Paw Patrol is on, it has nothing to do with "knowing what TV is".  Pretty much only use the DVR function, watching anything live is rare.

Have you tried the new cat in the had cartoon- it’s actually watchable (almost) for grownups

Offline The Chief

« Reply #190: November 14, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
Have you tried the new cat in the had cartoon- it’s actually watchable (almost) for grownups

The one on PBS?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #191: November 14, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »
Yep

Offline The Chief

« Reply #192: November 14, 2019, 10:18:00 AM »
Kid didn't care for it but i haven't tried again recently.

Online imref

« Reply #193: November 15, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »
Just got an email from Verizon: free year of Disney plus for being a Verizon wireless customer.  Davey Crockett time!

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #194: November 15, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »
Just got an email from Verizon: free year of Disney plus for being a Verizon wireless customer.  Davey Crockett time!

You have an unlimited data plan?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195: November 15, 2019, 06:49:09 PM »

I do. I’m going to finally watch all the marvel movies for free over the next few weeks

Online imref

« Reply #196: November 15, 2019, 06:53:22 PM »

Yes. Unlimited family plan.  Also FiOS at home.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #197: November 15, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »
Yes. Unlimited family plan.  Also FiOS at home.

From what I understand it’s the unlimited data plan that warrants the free year of Disney. I have VW but we only have the “S”  (S as in small) data plan. The only about me that’s small. :crackup:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #198: November 15, 2019, 07:22:21 PM »
I do. I’m going to finally watch all the marvel movies for free over the next few weeks

You doctor/plutocrats slay me. Good thing Warren is coming after you. But hey I’m making my next hit on Medicare. Got my arthroscopic knee surgery in 11 days.  Medicare for all baby! ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #199: November 15, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
But hey I’m making my next hit on Medicare. Got my arthroscopic knee surgery in 11 days.  Medicare for all baby! ;)

Mine has been rescheduled for this coming Monday...

I'm singlehandedly keeping Ortho's in business...