Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13156 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #125: November 03, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
Had this happen using an antenna with Fox football the last two days. Announcers went out but I still had the stadium sound. Commercials seemed to have worked also. Still watching now and announcers came back. Went through the audio setting and didn’t see anything obvious. Any clue? Could it be signal strength? If so, why would I still have the crowd sound?

It's not signal, as signal is digital, and the picture and audio would both go out completely. Not like a week fuzzy analog signal. My guess is a failure with FOX's broadcast for OTA.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #126: November 03, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »
I'd try them both out. I'll be moving to YouTube soon. I liked it when I trialed it. And  I'm pretty sure YTTV either has PBS or you an add it for a small price.  You can trial that too. AND your wife will probably want Acorn...

She already has Acorn and is quite pleased with it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #127: November 03, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
She already has Acorn and is quite pleased with it.

It's an option on YTTV. $4.95 a month if I remember correctly.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #128: November 03, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »
It's not signal, as signal is digital, and the picture and audio would both go out completely. Not like a week fuzzy analog signal. My guess is a failure with FOX's broadcast for OTA.
Ok.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #129: November 03, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »
It's an option on YTTV. $4.95 a month if I remember correctly.

Thanks. I think that's the same as she pays now, although I'm not sure. I'll have to check my Amex statement.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #130: November 03, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »
We have YouTube tv and love it. PBS has a free app with a ton of content, $5 a month unlocks more

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #131: November 05, 2019, 08:34:08 PM »
We have YouTube tv and love it. PBS has a free app with a ton of content, $5 a month unlocks more

But what about MASN?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #132: November 05, 2019, 08:38:49 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #133: November 05, 2019, 08:54:22 PM »
But what about MASN?

SOL unless you want to buy MLB TV and spoof your location. Which many people do.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #134: November 05, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »
YTTV seemed solid when I used it for the NLCS but it's way overpriced if you're able to pick up local stations with an antenna.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #135: November 06, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »
YTTV seemed solid when I used it for the NLCS but it's way overpriced if you're able to pick up local stations with an antenna.

Unless you like the other channels it offers.  Compare it to cable and it's a pretty good deal.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #136: November 06, 2019, 12:51:24 PM »
Unless you like the other channels it offers.  Compare it to cable and it's a pretty good deal.

Sure but there are much better deals for most channel packages provided you're not concerned about cable sports.  None of em have MASN so I just went with the cheapest thing that had Nick Jr, HGTV and AMC - got a service called "Philo" for $20/mo.  It has 50-some other channels as well but I'd drop them too if it saved me another 5 bucks :lol:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: November 06, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
Sure but there are much better deals for most channel packages provided you're not concerned about cable sports.

Yep- We have it, but mostly because we have near zero luck picking up certain local channels with an antenna- I don’t see any other reason to choose YouTube over another option besides broadcast channels

Offline The Chief

« Reply #138: November 06, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »
Yep- We have it, but mostly because we have near zero luck picking up certain local channels with an antenna- I don’t see any other reason to choose YouTube over another option besides broadcast channels

I assume you've done all the tower location checking and such.  Tried a small outdoor antenna?  We had no luck until we got something outside the house, now all the locals come in perfectly.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #139: November 06, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
Sure but there are much better deals for most channel packages provided you're not concerned about cable sports.  None of em have MASN so I just went with the cheapest thing that had Nick Jr, HGTV and AMC - got a service called "Philo" for $20/mo.  It has 50-some other channels as well but I'd drop them too if it saved me another 5 bucks :lol:

LoL. You really should be able to just subscribe to channels for a reasonable price. My needs are few, and they are *not* like yours.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #140: November 06, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »
We'll get that as soon as they figure out how to charge us more than we're paying now for the privilege :?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #141: November 06, 2019, 01:34:09 PM »
I assume you've done all the tower location checking and such.  Tried a small outdoor antenna?  We had no luck until we got something outside the house, now all the locals come in perfectly.

We went through it, never tried outside, did try a large one in an empty attic

Offline The Chief

« Reply #142: November 06, 2019, 01:53:08 PM »
We went through it, never tried outside, did try a large one in an empty attic

I'm always hearing that's the next-best thing but I've never tried it myself.  That sucks :(

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #143: November 06, 2019, 02:07:38 PM »
LoL. You really should be able to just subscribe to channels for a reasonable price. My needs are few, and they are *not* like yours.

The new direct to customer services coming online... Disney +, Peacock, HBO Max, CBS/Viacom' offering...are definitely a move in that direction, and away from the bundle.  I expect services like YTTV and Sling won't last more than a couple years.  Vue has already died, and ATT/Directv Now is all but done.  The bit sports properties will find themselves on one of the direct to customer services, but that's going to leave channels like MASN and other RSNs out in the cold.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #144: November 07, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »
We'll get that as soon as they figure out how to charge us more than we're paying now for the privilege :?

Chief, sounds like you have experience with this... is there a way to "incorporate" OTA channels into your TV experience, or do you have to switch from HDMI or Cable to Antenna input? It doesn't look like Roku offers this, at least not in the US.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #145: November 07, 2019, 07:12:36 PM »
Chief, sounds like you have experience with this... is there a way to "incorporate" OTA channels into your TV experience, or do you have to switch from HDMI or Cable to Antenna input? It doesn't look like Roku offers this, at least not in the US.

Some of Roku's integrated products appear to streamline this (see: https://blog.roku.com/antenna-can-complement-roku-experience-guest-post) but I don't think there's a good way to do it outside of that.  The linked article mentions a product called "Tablo" that appears to be capable of integrating with Roku as well, so further reading on that might bear fruit.  I used to be an avid Home Theater PC guy back in the early 2000s but I have to admit that until we cut the cord this year I had been out of the loop for a long long time.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #146: November 07, 2019, 08:03:42 PM »
I believe Best Buy carries Tablo devices, if you want to investigate them in a store or on a retailer's website.

Amazon has an OTA DVR called the Fire Recast. I have no idea whether it can integrate with a Roku.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #147: November 12, 2019, 06:37:55 AM »
Disney plus released today- I think the other services are going to be in serious trouble, especially for anyone with kids.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #148: November 12, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »
Disney plus released today- I think the other services are going to be in serious trouble, especially for anyone with kids.
Eh, maybe. I'm sure they'll put together a good product. There are so many networks trying to go this route I have a hard time seeing many of them surviving. I just don't know how many people are gonna be able to afford them all. Disney may have the best chance of lasting, and I still think the future is streaming, but I think it ends up back someplace that can consolidate all the content in one place.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #149: November 12, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »
There's already consolidation happening. Disney+ has packages with Hulu and/or ESPN+. I have a Hulu and Spotify package. Most of these networks know their standalone services won't sustain themselves, it's all just a way for networks and studios to buy back the rights to their crap so they get a bigger cut when we eventually go back to a cable-like system in streaming.

There's too many platforms to make it financially smart to cord-cut anymore if you consume a lot of TV IMO. I don't watch much beyond sports and re-runs of a few shows so YoutubeTV + Hulu is all I need, though my GF got Disney+ and I'm sure I'll watch the new star wars show on it.

Disney is doing it right by releasing so many original shows on it, of course they have plenty to draw people in but knowing there's a years-long plan of original content around the most popular franchises in the world makes it a slam dunk to be successful.

Remember when Netflix Originals were good? I wonder how long they'll try to milk the Stranger Things popularity.  Eventually I think Netflix merges with someone like Hulu. Maybe not soon, but I don't see how Netflix is sustainable.