Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13407 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #100: September 27, 2019, 04:38:28 PM »
Had my own experience with cord cutting last night. My son ran over the ethernet line with the lawn mower and literally severed it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #101: September 27, 2019, 05:12:43 PM »
I'm going to give this a shot now that baseball season is over, see how I like it.

i love that it has on-demand for most shows and you can set it to record certain movies or shows anytime they come on. my GF set it to record any harry potter movie weirdly enough. But it's really, really great. It learns what you like to watch so the home screen gives you the shows/games you want. For example tonight when i turn it on the home screen will have the maryland game as a "on soon" and the pregame show on as live and then baseball games as other suggestions and then a suggestion to catch up on other shows i watch. it's just an all-around excellent service.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #102: September 27, 2019, 06:31:57 PM »
Youtube TV was too expensive for us.  Tried Philo for half the price and gives us everything we need (admittedly we have a somewhat esoteric collection of shows and channels).  Local networks are via antenna so YMMV.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #103: September 29, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
For those who have gone to streaming services, do you know whether the MLB postseason games are available on streamed network feeds? That is, just as an example because I won't make the change before Tuesday, the NL wild-card game is on TBS. If you stream TBS via, say, Vue or YouTube TV, can you still watch the ballgame?

This is not totally a hypothetical question because, for example, it's pretty common that you can't listen to radio broadcasts via the stations' online streams.

We decided we will drop DirecTV for Vue once the Nats' season is over, though more likely it'll be next weekend instead of during the week simply because of when I'll have time to call, plus I still have to make a list of what we record so I know what to set up on the new service.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #104: September 29, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Went to YouTube tv- so much better than sling, no lag and a much sharper picture. Will probably drop Netflix to make the move cost neutral

Offline The Chief

« Reply #105: September 29, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »
Went to YouTube tv- so much better than sling, no lag and a much sharper picture. Will probably drop Netflix to make the move cost neutral

We dropped Netflix as soon as we caught up on the latest season of Stranger Things.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #106: September 29, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
We dropped Netflix as soon as we caught up on the latest season of Stranger Things.

They have the Breaking Bad movie coming out on Oct 11.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #107: September 29, 2019, 03:01:15 PM »
Had my own experience with cord cutting last night. My son ran over the ethernet line with the lawn mower and literally severed it.

LoL

Offline The Chief

« Reply #108: October 11, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
Can anyone recommend a Roku channel that carries TBS and has a 7-day free trial?  I used up FuboTV trial on the NLDS :lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #109: October 11, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
Youtube TV has a free trial.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #110: October 14, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »
Anyone else have YouTube TV? Is it slow to load, or is it old Roku device that's making it so?

Picture quality is good. Selection is good enough. $49 is right at the cusp of what I want to spend, though. When I kill Xfinity, I don't know that I'll save that much...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #111: October 14, 2019, 06:45:07 PM »

Like UMDNats says, YouTube TV has a free trial (which I'm on). TBS looks good.

Offline Nats Diamond

« Reply #112: October 14, 2019, 06:58:25 PM »
I got rid of cable years ago.  Nowadays I use Netflix, Hulu, CW app, and Shudder.  All three combined are cheaper than my cable bill.  Recently got YouTube TV this month and I like it.  The main reason I got YouTube was to watch live tv and Cobra Kai was thrown in the deal.  Even with YouTube my monthly bill is still cheaper since I cut the cord.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #113: October 14, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »
I got rid of cable years ago.  Nowadays I use Netflix, Hulu, CW app, and Shudder.  All three combined are cheaper than my cable bill.  Recently got YouTube TV this month and I like it.  The main reason I got YouTube was to watch live tv and Cobra Kai was thrown in the deal.  Even with YouTube my monthly bill is still cheaper since I cut the cord.

Only MASN keeps me from cutting the cord permanently.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #114: October 14, 2019, 07:16:37 PM »
Like UMDNats says, YouTube TV has a free trial (which I'm on). TBS looks good.

Yeah that's what I'm using for the NLCS.  It's only a 5-day trial though so I need the Nats to sweep  :mg:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #115: October 14, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »
Yeah that's what I'm using for the NLCS.  It's only a 5-day trial though so I need the Nats to sweep  :mg:

There's gotta be another gmail account in your household. With a different credit card.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #116: October 14, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »
There's gotta be another gmail account in your household. With a different credit card.

Is that all it takes?  Asking for a friend :nts:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #117: October 14, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »

Can't imagine what else it would take. I mean, could be wrong, but it would not be hard to try it if it comes to it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #118: October 14, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline The Chief

« Reply #120: October 14, 2019, 10:24:27 PM »
Yeah I'm aware of that option.  Anything that works on the Roku is just much more convenient.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #121: October 14, 2019, 10:27:30 PM »
Yeah I'm aware of that option.  Anything that works on the Roku is just much more convenient.

Agreed. I love that little box.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #122: November 03, 2019, 03:43:45 PM »
Any opinions on Hulu with Live TV versus YouTube TV? We had decided to go with Vue, but since Sony announced they're shutting it down, we've scratched that idea. I saw comments on another forum that YTTV seems to have a better picture for sports. I might just do free trials of both to see, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any thoughts. I note Hulu doesn't have Channel 7. Minor nuisance since we can get that easily with an antenna, though I'd have to add a DVR for the antenna (either a Fire Recast or a Tablo) so we can record Jeopardy. I guess it would allow for recording some of my wife's PBS stuff if she doesn't want to go through Passport.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #123: November 03, 2019, 04:07:39 PM »
Any opinions on Hulu with Live TV versus YouTube TV? We had decided to go with Vue, but since Sony announced they're shutting it down, we've scratched that idea. I saw comments on another forum that YTTV seems to have a better picture for sports. I might just do free trials of both to see, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any thoughts. I note Hulu doesn't have Channel 7. Minor nuisance since we can get that easily with an antenna, though I'd have to add a DVR for the antenna (either a Fire Recast or a Tablo) so we can record Jeopardy. I guess it would allow for recording some of my wife's PBS stuff if she doesn't want to go through Passport.

I'd try them both out. I'll be moving to YouTube soon. I liked it when I trialed it. And  I'm pretty sure YTTV either has PBS or you an add it for a small price.  You can trial that too. AND your wife will probably want Acorn...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #124: November 03, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
Had this happen using an antenna with Fox football the last two days. Announcers went out but I still had the stadium sound. Commercials seemed to have worked also. Still watching now and announcers came back. Went through the audio setting and didn’t see anything obvious. Any clue? Could it be signal strength? If so, why would I still have the crowd sound?