Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13413 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #50: February 21, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
You can get that feed to a Roku device? I haven't looked - does MLB TV have a Roku channel?

Mlb has apps for all of the services

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #51: February 21, 2019, 09:14:12 AM »
Thanks.
Mlb as apps for all of the services

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #52: February 21, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »
mlb.tv works well on roku, Apple and Amazon Fire and gaming consoles.   If you are in the Nats area and want to watch Nats games, you'll need to go with something like unlocator.  It works best with the Apple TV, and works well with the Roku if you're able/willing to change router settings (I stood up a separate router just for that purpose, which becomes very user/wife friendly once its set up since you don't mess with the rest of the house's internet).   Amazon fire tv, ipads, iphones, and android devices do not work with geography spoofing services to get around blackouts.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #53: February 21, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
I had the original for years and liked it, when I upgraded to the roku 2, they said they needed a credit card linked to my account in order to set it up- I just returned it instead. I hate giving out my card for recurring purchases and try to limit that as much as I can

Got any Apple stuff ?  If so, I'll bet they've got your credit card on file...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: February 21, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
Got any Apple stuff ?  If so, I'll bet they've got your credit card on file...

I trust Apple, I dont trust roku

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #55: February 21, 2019, 07:13:18 PM »
I trust Apple, I dont trust roku

I'll be extremely polite here.  Why is that ?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #56: February 21, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »
Because they seem to give a crap about security and they have the resources to back that up whereas roku is a constantly struggling small company that burns money

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #57: February 21, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
Because they seem to give a crap about security and they have the resources to back that up

Yeah, Google and Facebook said that crap too !

Do you believe them ?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #58: February 21, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »
Yeah, Google and Facebook said that crap too !

Do you believe them ?

With credit card numbers- you really are special if you think they’re selling your credit card information

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #59: February 21, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
With credit card numbers- you really are special if you think they’re selling your credit card information

850 FICO bro.  If they aren't selling mine, then everyone else on the planet is safe from that !

Of course, I trust Roku more than Apple...

'Cause they are hungry, and interested in getting customers, not exploiting them (yet).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: February 21, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
850 FICO bro.  If they aren't selling mine, then everyone else on the planet is safe from that !

Of course, I trust Roku more than Apple...

'Cause they are hungry, and interested in getting customers, not exploiting them (yet).

:lmao:

I’m guessing you’ve never read https://docs.roku.com/doc/userprivacypolicy/en-us because they’re pretty open about tracking you and selling the data to advertisers

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #61: February 21, 2019, 09:25:10 PM »
:lmao:

I’m guessing you’ve never read https://docs.roku.com/doc/userprivacypolicy/en-us because they’re pretty open about tracking you and selling the data to advertisers

Dude, they learned from the best, the Apple EULA ! :D :D

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/dev/stdeula/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #62: February 21, 2019, 09:37:11 PM »
:shrug: they all do it, Apple at least has the resources to keep its data secure- you’re the one claiming roku is different

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #63: February 21, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »
:shrug: they all do it, Apple at least has the resources to keep its data secure- you’re the one claiming roku is different

I'm claiming that Roku coudn't survive a breach of privacy thing.  Apple can, and has.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #64: March 02, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
Trump just said he’s a big fan of TiVo. Just throwing it out there.  :hysterical:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #65: March 02, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »
Trump just said he’s a big fan of TiVo. Just throwing it out there.  :hysterical:

Of course, who knows whether he was using that as a brand name or as a generic term!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: March 02, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
Of course, who knows whether he was using that as a brand name or as a generic term!
Maybe he meant Devo. Or Difo.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #67: March 02, 2019, 09:07:20 PM »
Maybe he meant Devo. Or Difo.

If the border needs a wall, you must whip it.

Online machpost

« Reply #68: June 14, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
Does Unlocator still work for MLB.tv on the Apple TV? Now that RCN is allegedly dropping MASN on July 1, I may have to go that route.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #69: June 24, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »
Does Unlocator still work for MLB.tv on the Apple TV? Now that RCN is allegedly dropping MASN on July 1, I may have to go that route.
Yep.  It had a couple hiccups on opening week, since then it's been flawless.

Offline wj73

« Reply #70: July 27, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »
We involuntarily cut the cord when we moved to the boonies, as broadband access is not routinely available out here. We rely strictly on cell service, which is also iffy, and the couple of TV stations we can get over the air (none of which is a major station like ABC, CBS, or NBC). It’s a little different!

Just for fun I called Comcast a few weeks ago to see if we could get service. They said that they’d have to do a site survey to see if it was possible. The rep also stated that we’d probably have to make a “contribution” over and above the normal installation fee to get service.

Comcast called back yesterday, saying that service was available, but yes, there was a contribution involved. The requested contribution amount?  $9,737.04.  :shock:

Let’s just say we declined the offer.

We did get a cell booster antenna a few weeks ago which has helped. We used to only get 1 or 2 bars (110-120 dB) on the phones and iPad, but now we get 2-3 bars (85-95 dB). Not great, but a lot better. We listen to the Nats with C&D on the MLB radio app, and they used to break up a lot with long periods of buffering. Since we installed the booster, the playback is uninterrupted. If someone is looking to boost cell service, I can testify that those cell booster antennas really do work.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #71: July 27, 2019, 01:38:04 PM »
Been thinking about cutting the TV half of FiOS - was told by their online chat that they can't do it over chat, has to be a phone call :?

Anyone have experience with this sort of move?  Worth it?  We'd probably get a decent antenna for our main TV to pick up the local channels.  Don't watch much else that can't be streamed.  Current bill is around $130/mo w/ 2 boxes, although we're due to go up in September when various discounts expire.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #72: July 27, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
Been thinking about cutting the TV half of FiOS - was told by their online chat that they can't do it over chat, has to be a phone call :?

Anyone have experience with this sort of move?  Worth it?  We'd probably get a decent antenna for our main TV to pick up the local channels.  Don't watch much else that can't be streamed.  Current bill is around $130/mo w/ 2 boxes, although we're due to go up in September when various discounts expire.

I did it- make sure you save your return receipts for the boxes, they have a way of denying you returned stuff. We never really got an antenna to work well enough to bother keeping and ended up getting sling for local tv (just fox and nbc, no cbs or abc). The big saving for us is in box rental. Our bill right now is below $100 a month for gigabit internet (we were happy at 300/300, but they dropped that tier so we had to upgrade or downgrade when we moved). Whatever tier you have, the internet only price is probably higher than the same speed in a bundle.

You might want to look into keeping local Chanels only- they don’t advertise it, but it is available. We had it before dropping phone because the triple play was much cheaper than internet plus phone- you have to fight them, but technically you can have tv with no compatible boxes, so if you want to keep bundled pricing, that may be worth exploring (you won’t be able to watch it without the box, but it was cheaper having tv than just phone and internet)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #73: July 27, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
So convoluted :smh:  Thanks though, I'll keep that in mind.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #74: July 27, 2019, 05:21:38 PM »
I’m only keeping Fios tv for MASN at this point.