Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13175 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #25: February 19, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
You’re better off with an external stick- TVs are underpowered and don’t get updates and patches pushed as regualary as amazon/google/Apple/roku, besides the sticks are pretty cheap in the scheme of things

I haven't gotten that far yet.    Missus has this thing about a TV.    I suggested using the PC and all her pads/phones, etc.    Zero interest.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #26: February 19, 2019, 04:59:33 PM »
I haven't gotten that far yet.    Missus has this thing about a TV.    I suggested using the PC and all her pads/phones, etc.    Zero interest.

HalfSmokes is talking about a TV still. He just means use an external device to power the Internet feed. Smart TV apps are ... usually pretty weak. Look up Amazon FireBox, Roku, etc. They're basically just devices that connect your TV to the Internet and provide a suite of apps and options you can subscribe to, customizing your package based on what you want to watch.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: February 19, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »

If your TV has HDMI inputs, you can use a Roku to get Prime TV, Netflix, You Tube TV or Sling.  HalfSmokes is right that SmartTVs usually don't work out as well.

Think of the Roku as a unifying "cable box" that you can add services (like the above) to. It works very well. Except it's attached to your internet.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #28: February 19, 2019, 05:07:21 PM »
HalfSmokes is talking about a TV still. He just means use an external device to power the Internet feed. Smart TV apps are ... usually pretty weak. Look up Amazon FireBox, Roku, etc. They're basically just devices that connect your TV to the Internet and provide a suite of apps and options you can subscribe to, customizing your package based on what you want to watch.

Ah  ...   that's how far behind I am.     :old:     Thanks for the info.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #29: February 19, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »
If your TV has HDMI inputs, you can use a Roku to get Prime TV, Netflix, You Tube TV or Sling.  HalfSmokes is right that SmartTVs usually don't work out as well.

Think of the Roku as a unifying "cable box" that you can add services (like the above) to. It works very well. Except it's attached to your internet.

I do have HDMI input.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #30: February 19, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
I do have HDMI input.

Look up "Roku". Personally, I like the box better than the little stick that looks like a thumb drive.  But I'm not sure that it matters.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #31: February 19, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »
Look up "Roku". Personally, I like the box better than the little stick that looks like a thumb drive.  But I'm not sure that it matters.

Thanks

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: February 19, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
I have a stick and it works great. The fiancee has a box and it works great, too. And about half the cost of an appleTV.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #33: February 19, 2019, 05:22:18 PM »
That's the puzzling part to me.    She's not really "attached" to any program/channel/genre and she has Amazon Prime.    For me, it's the Nats.
I don't know about the Nats part of the equation since I don't live in the market and MLB TV works great for me, but for everything else, choosing cable over a streaming service if you're going to have internet either way is just throwing money away.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #34: February 19, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »
I don't know about the Nats part of the equation since I don't live in the market and MLB TV works great for me, but for everything else, choosing cable over a streaming service if you're going to have internet either way is just throwing money away.

I tried that angle as well.    :)     She sez I'm cheap.   I tell her I'm thrifty.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #35: February 19, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
I've found I liked the streaming options better than I did when I had cable, fwiw... I expect these won't stay as affordable as they are now, but for right now, they're better products than cable, IMO.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: February 19, 2019, 06:23:54 PM »
I have a stick and it works great. The fiancee has a box and it works great, too. And about half the cost of an appleTV.

I have a Roku brick and an AppleTV.  The AppleTV is much more user friendly and the hardware gives us no problems. We have connectivity and power issues with the Roku on a daily basis.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: February 19, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »
I have a Roku brick and an AppleTV.  The AppleTV is much more user friendly and the hardware gives us no problems. We have connectivity and power issues with the Roku on a daily basis.

I gave up on roku, currently have an Apple TV and an amazon stick- both are great, each is better at certain things

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #38: February 19, 2019, 07:02:33 PM »

Roku works fine for me as my main streaming source.

I'll never go Apple.  All of their crap is overpriced and underperforms...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #39: February 19, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
You’re better off with an external stick- TVs are underpowered and don’t get updates and patches pushed as regualary as amazon/google/Apple/roku, besides the sticks are pretty cheap in the scheme of things

Would you STFU about Roku and the like, he's working on getting a bigger TV. Sticks can be added afterwards.  :crackup:

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #40: February 19, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »
Would you STFU about Roku and the like, he's working on getting a bigger TV. Sticks can be added afterwards.  :crackup:

Honestly though, can you imagine handing milten a streaming stick ?

He'd either think it was a cigarette lighter, or start gumming it...  :hysterical:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: February 19, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »
I’ve been having generally good success with reddit free streams for NHL and NBA. So planning to use that this year for baseball. And keep my ESPN plus subscription at $5.34 per month.   I think reddit would be an option for any of you in the DC area who want to cut the chord.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #42: February 20, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
I've never had issues with the Roku stick. I couldn't really justify the extra cost for the AppleTV over the Roku.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: February 20, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »
I've never had issues with the Roku stick. I couldn't really justify the extra cost for the AppleTV over the Roku.

I had the original for years and liked it, when I upgraded to the roku 2, they said they needed a credit card linked to my account in order to set it up- I just returned it instead. I hate giving out my card for recurring purchases and try to limit that as much as I can

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #44: February 20, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »

We still have our 1st Gen AppleTV and it works exactly the way it did out of the box seven years ago.  We also have a 2nd Gen because you can access the AppStore and add channels if you want to which the 1st Gen didn’t offer. We still use both and the kids love the AppleTV over the Roku (as do I).

It’s not to say that I hate the Roku, but it lacks some of the features that AppleTV offers and with random power and connectivity hiccups, I’d rather spend the extra $80 for a device with no issues that lasts for a decade.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #45: February 20, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
I know people that use it very successfully for the Nats.

I’ve been having generally good success with reddit free streams for NHL and NBA. So planning to use that this year for baseball. And keep my ESPN plus subscription at $5.34 per month.   I think reddit would be an option for any of you in the DC area who want to cut the chord.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #46: February 20, 2019, 10:35:34 PM »
I know people that use it very successfully for the Nats.

I've used reddit it a few times when on the road to watch Cap games.  It's not difficult to find a high quality stream.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #47: February 20, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »
I've used reddit it a few times when on the road to watch Cap games.  It's not difficult to find a high quality stream.
Putting reddit feeds on the TV is tricky though.  mlb.tv/unlocator  is much more user friendly.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #48: February 20, 2019, 11:04:40 PM »
Putting reddit feeds on the TV is tricky though.  mlb.tv/unlocator  is much more user friendly.

yeah, I usually watch via a tablet.  My LG TV has a built-in browser that I use to watch ESPN3 games from time to time.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #49: February 21, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »

You can get that feed to a Roku device? I haven't looked - does MLB TV have a Roku channel?