Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13604 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #475: September 29, 2021, 03:47:51 PM »
YouTube TV and NBC are in a rights-fees dispute that could result in all NBC channels being dropped from YouTube TV this Friday. From my point of view, the biggest problem there is the loss of NBC Sports Washington, which carries Caps games (69 regular-season games this upcoming season). The channel is not available via Peacock as far as I can tell; it looks like the options are Hulu + Live TV or perhaps Sling. YouTube TV says you can "pause" your account, during which period you can't watch the service* but you won't get billed and your DVR recordings won't be purged.** I think I might do that and sign up for either Hulu or Sling, whichever is cheaper, until Google gets things resolved. I just got an e-mail from Sling about a $10-a-month offer, so I'll have to look into that.

Some things never change from provider to provider, huh?

*You can continue to watch until the end of the current billing period for which you've already paid.
**DVR recordings are still subject to a time limit of nine months; any that hit that time limit while your account is paused will get purged.

Yeah, struggling with this right now. I don't live local to DC but losing NBC channels is a dagger for YoutubeTV. Cutting the cost by $10 a month while they argue is fine but long-term not interested in paying $55 a month for a service that doesn't have one of the giants of TV. We do pay for peacock and espn+ so we should be fine but still annoying.

i do have ATT fiber and am considering a move to ATT wireless and wondering if i can score a sweet deal.