Author Topic: Cord cutting 2018–19 and beyond  (Read 4195 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

Re: Cord cutting 2018–19 and beyond
« Reply #300: December 02, 2020, 02:01:51 PM »
Social Dilemma was OK.  The dramatization was a bit much for me.  Had a hearty laugh at a couple of the "insiders" suggesting that taxes on data collection were the solution.

My favorite line from it (paraphrased) "the internet used to be magical and wondrous but now it's just like a giant shopping mall"

I thought the really insightful thing is that if two people google the same phrase (like climate change), they'll get different results, based on what Google knows about them. The algorithms are built to make money, not present useful information. Same thing on all plaforms, really.

Yeah, the dramatization was stupid.

My favorite line was "If you are not paying for the product, then you are the product."

I will say that it convinced me to turn notifications off and remove several apps from my phone.  I've also un-followed almost everyone on Twitter that is not a sports writer. And I try to use DuckDuckGo to search most of the time. At least I know I'm only getting advertised at for that session.

I've been toying with the idea of building a phone that's platform agnostic. There's a guy on Youtube that has done it. Has mapping software, paid email, etc. No Apple or Google involved.