Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 13446 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #250: March 03, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »
I think it's all down to personal preference. I think I left roku at a down time for their devices (when I switched, prices were much closer); if I had stayed, I'd probably still have roku sticks. I'm sure Roku is better than apple in some areas, and vice versa

No doubt.  Again, it's all the same to me, I just happened to choose Roku when I was making the initial jump (mostly based on downstream factors like the cost of the plans that carried the channels I wanted and their availability on various devices).  I'm at the point in life where if it ain't broke, I'm not interested in trying to fix it.  Traditional able costs were to the breaking point for us, so a nice antenna and a cheap Roku seemed like a good move.  We've been extremely happy so far so it's unlikely I'll even look into anything else unless that changes. 

gaming was supposed to be the distinction, I don't think that ever really happened with amazon or apple.

Game streaming is definitely gaining traction, but there's no goliath in that space (yet).  Steam actually lets you stream your games for free, though you still have to be hosting them from somewhere.  I've found it quite good for playing demanding games on the road.  Nvidia has a newly launched streaming service that is completely cloud-based and has received mixed-to-positive reviews, but isn't free.  Haven't tried it myself.